Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Udyr Viability

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Praetor Kamahl

03-10-2010

Quote:
TimeTicker:
first off, Udyr is NOT a tank, hes a fighter.

We never called him a tank. It's simply that, his DPS doesn't dramatically change in difference between one good attack speed item, and 3 with a Trinity Force. The fact of the matter is he always gets focused first, people do not want him near them. Tanking gear with, say, a Malady, would allow him to deal sufficient damage, absorb plenty for the team, without going up in a poof of smoke that he's very much accustomed to after Turtle gets popped. Besides, getting Blinded then killed is kind of old.

Somafera

03-10-2010

He's not terrible but definitively needs some love.

And well, honestly, he's one of the hardests melees to harass if you do it properly, sometimes you can even outharass ranged champs by timing phoenix charges and turtle.

His damage is "decent" but never a big impact, and since its mainly aoe, you end up doing quite a lot of damage during teamfights (thats if they let you live enough), he can also easily solo towers and neutrals, as well as quickly wiping minion waves.

His main problems are the extremely vulnerability to ccs and how easy is to run away from him.

If you have lizard+golem and play smartly (keeping passive up, hitting and retreating, baiting people to waste their skills on your turtle shell, just being both defensive and offensive as well as trying to confuse), you can do pretty well.

As for building him as a tank, i don't think that filling him with just tank gears is a good idea, but i usually use some minor tank stuff (warden's mail, banshee, sometimes quicksilver sash, etc).

Also malady is pretty much a must have, since the debuff works with phoenix activation ticks, giving a big damage boost.

TechYS

03-10-2010

Quote:
TimeTicker:
first off, Udyr is NOT a tank, hes a fighter.

Well, I'll just say that someone didn't see the 'AD' sign I had up. Yes, you don't build him as a full tank (200+ armor/mdef) with like 5k hp. That's a no because later in games once people get enough items your damage output won't be enough. Which is why I do get AD items after I build the first three to enhance my attacks by quite a bit. I play this way because I had enough games of losses where I get killed way too easily (focused first).

About Baron, yeah I tested soloing him on a game with bots (to get the full potential of items). It is indeed possible, but I won't be using those items against players.

Btw, I think Frozen Mallet is a must since it adds a significant amount of hp (making you less squishy) plus a 100% chance slow. Yeah, there's the lizard elder buff, but you can't keep it on you 24/7 (when I'm farming lane/forest, I tend to just skip the big guys and go for the little guys for quick gold and exp instead).

The build isn't perfect (cough Morgana cough), and I do tend to get more assists than kills (which I'm fine with), but it does drop the death count I have on each game while still taking a significant amount of beating from the other team.

And personally, a burst dps/AD character with lots of lines in their green bar are definitely more scary than ones with only a few, since they are definitely much harder to take out. I've seen an Annie with just about as much HP as my Udyr, and yeah, even when focused in team battle she can often get away while still burning down an enemy or two.