Udyr Viability

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Judah the Lion

03-09-2010

Yes.

/thread

Viral

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-09-2010

Thank you Whelp and Judah for the excellent and constructive comments.

hancho17

03-09-2010

hey kritara, u should seriously consider writing a guide to playing udyr. it seems to me that a lot of the guides on udyr are a little dated.

i'd love to hear more about the order u buy items and specific situational strategies like laneing, ganking, jungling, what ever floats ur boat.

Viral

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-09-2010

I would love to see a new and updated guide. Even just a rough rundown of items and a skill build. Or, better yet, what each skill is used for.

Jagxyz

03-09-2010

I've never really considered rageblade for udyr, but it makes perfect sense.. high attack speed and spamming abilities.

I'll try that out, thanks

Praetor Kamahl

03-09-2010

I'm starting to wonder if Tank udyr would be viable. He always gets focused first if he shows his face. Perhaps a Malady, Merc's Treads, Ennervating Locket, Spirit Visage, and Frozen Heart would work well on him? I just really like Locket on him, you can support a team by button mashing, and tank like hell. When I still liked Udyr pre-super-nerf, I ran that on him (not the entire ******ed tank build), he's unkillable in 1 on 1 with it and a lifesteal item, sometimes 2 on 1.

ADCisMyReligion

03-09-2010

Udyr is viable but he needs some work.

Udyr has a huge learning curve. You will die a lot if you don't have experience with his stances. Even when you do learn to master his switching you still have to stay back or your dead. He really needs some buffs because he is nothing but a liability to your team until mid to late game, this is especially true at high summoner levels (15+)

TechYS

03-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praetor Kamahl View Post
I'm starting to wonder if Tank udyr would be viable. He always gets focused first if he shows his face. Perhaps a Malady, Merc's Treads, Ennervating Locket, Spirit Visage, and Frozen Heart would work well on him? I just really like Locket on him, you can support a team by button mashing, and tank like hell. When I still liked Udyr pre-super-nerf, I ran that on him (not the entire ******ed tank build), he's unkillable in 1 on 1 with it and a lifesteal item, sometimes 2 on 1.
I did try 2 tank builds and they seem to do fine. I wouldn't say its the best builds ever or anything like that. Its just something I've been trying since being totally owned going AD at the beginning.

Mdef Tank/AD Build:
Items Bought In Order:
1. Regrowth Pendant
2. Boots of Speed
3. Null-Magic Mantle
4. Mercury's Treads
5. Negatron Cloak
6. Regrowth Pendant
7. Giant's Belt
8. Ruby Crystal
9. Phage
10. Frozen Mallet
11. Force of Nature
12+. Any three items that add AD

Purpose: Use when your opponent are full of magic dmg champions.

You get about 3k Hp and 150 Mdef (not counting last three items)

HP + Regen Tank/AD Build:

1. Regrowth Pendant
2. Boots of Speed
3. Null-Magic Mantle
4. Mercury's Treads
5. Giant's Belt
6. Ruby Crystal
7. Warmog's Armor
8. Giant's Belt
9. Ruby Crystal
10. Long Sword
11. Phage
12. Frozen Mallet
13+. Any three items that add AD

Purpose: Use when your component consists more of normal attack champions

You get around 4k Hp and 100 Hp Regen (not counting last three items)

Warmogs work on him because he can farm pretty easily. Just have to get it early so it works to its fullest extent.

The AD items will help out in damage output with Phoenix. I've seen around 2.0 Aspd Phoenix with the right items.

The build is built for survival at the beginning. Regrowth works well when you're pinned down by enemy ranged champions (life steal = useless if you can't attack). Unless you charge in like crazy, the pendant should take care of most harass attacks at the beginning.

With those builds I tend to be able to initiate with bear, get a few hits here and there, take a beating, allow my teammates to start killing squishies, then get out in one piece. Once I get AD items, though, that's usually when he can also contribute to decent damage.

What I also do with him is tank towers while my teammates take it down. Given enough damage output I can usually live through the damage. Doesn't guarentee to live always doing that, but at least I can take quite a beating before going down. (in which case usually the tower is gone anyways) He can indeed kill a tower alone once you get enough AD items, but usually game ends before that happens so it doesn't happen often.

TimeTicker

03-10-2010

first off, Udyr is NOT a tank, hes a fighter. think of it as a slower warrick thats takes alot more skill 2 use and cant kill Baron by himself (warrick is op smh).. and ive solo'd against ashe on mid 2 times and both summoners hardly did damage.. but the last ashe i tried to solo against... well, it just wasnt pretty. lol but Udyr takes skill to use.

Bigricky

03-10-2010

That's funny because I solo'd Baron with him twice yesterday...once at 16 and again at lv18.