Looking for some Ezreal tips

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kroghar

05-01-2011

So I figured I should finally buckle down and master a good ranged carry as it's the one role I just can't really cover. I chose Ezreal because he just seems like a lot more fun than an auto-attack champ.

After about 4 or 5 preliminary matches, I'm just not feeling the power though. So far I've been going more hybrid, I love the idea of Gunblade on him over Bloodthirster. So I've been going Doran's Blade > Boots > Philo Stone > Sheen > Trinity > Cutlass > Gunblade.

Feels like all of the way through the Trinity Force I just don't put out enough damage. I can harass well enough, but there's no way I could take anyone on one vs one. I know that's not really Ezreals thing, but it just feels weird to be playing a carry and being scared of anyone that starts heading your way. With no slow, or any form of CC, I'm usually running for my life in teamfights and taking popshots until they see me again. The rest of my team dies, and I feel like I haven't done much.

I'm guessing I should just build more aggressive and concentrate on AD? Maybe start with an early Brutalizer and then a BF sword item?

I'm so used to playing off-tanks and tanks and support, it feels weird to be scared to enter fights, and just watching as your teammates die around you. I'd be fine with that if I at least felt like I was pumping out the damage and killing peeps, but I don't feel that at all. I feel like I'm just tossing pebbles at them.

Goodguy Hopper

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-01-2011

http://solomid.net/guides.php?g=3

this guide really helped my game when i was trying to spread out into the ad carry realm. In the end i decided to center myself more around ashe and tristana, but i hope this helps you along your way

Kroghar

05-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa Riel View Post
http://solomid.net/guides.php?g=3

this guide really helped my game when i was trying to spread out into the ad carry realm. In the end i decided to center myself more around ashe and tristana, but i hope this helps you along your way
Thanks, I had read through the solomid guides, but I know they're all kind of outdated from the latest Ez buffs. I guess the part I'm not getting the most, I look at that guide and it even says"

"...he has a strong early game/laning phase, but he does admittely drop off late game."

I'm not feeling that early game dominance at all. Laned against an Ashe and it felt like one auto-attack from her did as much damage as my Q. Laned against an Akali and if I got in range to use my combo on her, her combo would do twice as much damage. I feel like I can harass melee champs with no gap-closer easily, like Yi and Olaf, but everyone else, not so much.

Maybe I'm just not getting enough farm early...

Kreos

05-01-2011

Vs Ashe it is a bit tricky. You need to wait until she wasted her Crit on Minions and then you can do some harrassment.You should try to go Brutalizer>Sheen. Two cheap Items and you're doing great damage early game. Brutalizer also helps with Ezreal miserable Last Hitting .....50 ad cmon riot
When the enemy team is lined up in a teamfight just shoot your Ultimate. It does GREAT damage..trust me....usually some will panick and you're the one picking them off Ezreal is really bad vs tanks, but you can kite them easily without getting hit (okay maokai will get to you.....).

2cents for you^^

Kroghar

05-01-2011

Thanks Kreos. I'll try an early Brutalizer, and just ignoring putting any points in W for a while, seems to be what the high elo Ezreals do, I'll give it a shot. Just still feels odd to me that Ez has such low base damage for a ranged carry, along with no cc. I love his maneuverability, but seems like he pays a hefty price.

Kroghar

05-01-2011

Well, tried a match with an early Brutalizer after DBlade, and pumped levels into Q, E. Felt like my damage output was better. Did a better job at last hitting creeps, was 80 cs by 15 minutes, not great but decent.

Was frustrating mid facing a good Karthus player. My harass is so reliant on getting around minions while his Q spam can reach over anything, we were just dancing around the creep waves and I'd occasionally get a shot off. Maybe I should have been more in his face before level 6.

Still, just feel like Ezreal is really lacking overall. Great maneuverability, decent burst output, but no pushing power, no cc, and really hard to focus your damage when so much relies on positioning.

Still loads of fun playing him, wish there was a little more reward for the effort, but I'll stick with him for a bit.

Girumas

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-01-2011

Ezreal /is/ really fun and has been my favorite for a long time. Now, I'm not the best or anything, but here are some things I've picked up.

Ezreal is mana-hungry, but he doesn't /need/ the mana-regen runes if you use your abilities judiciously. Getting the Sheen early helps his mana pool as well as damage output. Don't waste Mystic shot last-hitting creeps early game if you can, use it to harass the champion when you have a good shot, it has some of the highest early-game damage output. If you feel overly squishy early-game, trade your mana-regen for something like health or armor.

Ezreal has a good early distance-closer (Arcane shift), but you need to be careful. It does good damage early-game, but takes a fair chunk of mana, has a somewhat erratic homing shot (might his a minion rather than enemy champion due to whoever is "closer") and if you use it to get close and attempt a kill, it puts your /right/ in their face. However, saving it as escape-only wastes it's potential. You can only really learn the balance by playing him and it does take a while.

Summoner Spells: Seeing Ezreal with /two/ "escape" summoner spells makes me kind of cry. He /has/ one. Granted, sometimes that cooldown can cripple you right when you need it, but not really enough that you need two summoner spells to get out of a bad place, or even /can/. Usually, you get one chance to get out, and if you blow it, you're done--and Flash and Ghost don't really have too much synergy unless you're in that "particular" place where you can Flash over a wall and run. (But if you make it over the wall, they shouldn't be able to follow you anyway) So, I'd suggest picking one "escape", Flash or Ghost whichever suits your style, and one "aggressive", Exhaust or Ignite. I play with both Exhaust and Ignite, personally, it just depends on how you play.

Some of the inherent "squishiness" is psychology. If you see yourself as glass, you're going to play that way, and the other characters are going to know they can bully you. As you play Ezreal and fiddle around with builds, you'll figure out how much damage you can churn out, how much you can survive, etc. It can get /really really/ close sometimes.

Early Items: Some like Brutalizer first, some like Wriggle's Lantern, some like Sheen. it's kind of up to you. But Sheen definitely needs to be a priority in the overall list. Philo stone gives you money and regen, which is definitely /nice/, but not "necessary" and also cuts your early damage and it cuts into your money pool initially. (As opposed to putting on a character that starts with a regrowth pendant or something).
Of course, it takes a while to get used to his small early-game mana pool, especially early-game (and escaping from one early gank can blow what little you've got). So it's more about what works for /you/. If you want your Philo stone, you might /have/ to play more defensively and sacrifice some early game for your mid-game stability.

Zani

05-01-2011

Alright first thing i should say is the fact you rush a triforce is a bad thing on ezreal. because triforce works of ad and u only have the ad it gives you it wont give you that much damage. You cant really hybrid on ez if u wanna play using your mystic shot. The first thing i should say is screw the philo stone u shouldent need it. Start of with w.e get a brutalizer the cd ruduc and armor pen lets ur mystic do alot. One thing i should say is insted of finishing that trifoce just get a sheen after the brutilizer and build up a decent amount of damage before finishing that triforce.

SuperChoob

05-01-2011

Read through this guide:

http://leaguecraft.com/strategies/gu...al-guide.xhtml

He plays a very aggressive Ezreal that can outlane almost any champion. Ezreal's damage output is surprisingly high, but it's incredibly hard to explain in words, so you'll learn much more by watching videos of him being played.

dovvntempo

05-01-2011

I don't think you need the philo stone at all. With some health pots and dorans, I feel you can rush bf sword versus the majority of champs.

For me ez's strength is not his early game harass or dominance. That used to be the case when mystic shot did too much damage but not anymore. His strength relies in his ability to lane safely. Mystic shot isnt gonna do a ton of damage, and against characters like Ashe with long ranged attack and that crit, or bursters like Akali, Anivia, Leblanc, you're not going to out damage them, so don't try at all. It's better to play to Ezreal's strength, and that is laning safely.

You can safely last hit with mystic shot those minions that are too close to the enemy to be taken. If a champion is not by their minions, then you can do your standard burst, which is arcane shift, mystic shot, atttack attack ... and so on. That amount of damage should be enough to lower the enemy's hp just enough so that you can safely get back to farming without being bullied.

I haven't faced Leblanc in mid as ezreal, but I certainly would not want to. But I do have experience playing safe and farming thanks to going against champs like Kat and Sivir ( constant harass ).

It is in mid-game though with your bf sword that you start pulling through. Grab the red buff with the help of an ally and then you are a greater threat. Anybody that even thinks about coming to you gets slowed if you kite well enough. As for that champs that can just rush you and burst you down, well you're going to have to simply avoid them if you don't have your teammates to cover you.

Imo ez without lizard isn't ez. Same thing with trist.

also if you're not doing enough damage then I would get armor pen in the quints as well. Mana regen in seals has worked well for me. And in blue? hmmm... magic resist per level might be good to survive those nukes.

Ezreal is fun though. Passive aggressive like Anivia.

having reviewed what I've written though... I can say that Ezreal's early game can be good if you manage to consistently hiss with mystic shot. Good ez's have it down where they can make you move in ways that set you up for mystic shots. One mystic shot is meh. A ton and it's time to tower hug. In that case ezreal can be likened to Karthus. Strong if you can hit lay waste, meh if you can't.