Coming to grips with the blob.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

evizaer

08-26-2009

I'm new to this game and to MOBAs in general. I've played 7 games, did well in two (more kills than deaths--my best performance being 6/2/5 as Warwick who I was playing tonight) and poorly in 5. Most of the time players were at least understanding and didn't rub my newness in my face, even if they didn't offer me any tips.

If you want to just read my plea for advice, you can skip down a few paragraphs. I need to vent some after a bad experience tonight, so I've included my story below.

I had a bad experience tonight. I'm just happy I wasn't on vent with the people I was playing with, because I would not have been able to get through the game without leaving in disgust. I started OK, but the game turned into a blob-fest really quick--far more quickly than any other of the games I've played. I had been in this situation rarely, so I tried my best to keep up with the rest of the team.

The second time I die, two players on my team start berating me in chat. I tell them I'm new and tell them to either help me or stop talking, but it continues. I think they may have started trying to leave me in the open to get me killed further because it would've been all the fun they could salvage out of being lashed by a much better team. I had the worst statline at the end of the game, but there was one other player on the team with zero kills and the third guy had only 1 kill to 4 deaths. They were probably just frustrated that they were having trouble and took it out on me, but when I'm trying to learn a new game, especially one as nit-picky as LoL, it is difficult to deal with completely negative, unhelpful people.

HERE is my plea for advice:

I just don't know the map and macro strategies well enough to play the blob game. I usually end up getting picked off because I fail to read a confrontation correctly and either engage too late or I'm out of position when the engagement starts and I get pulverized by four players at once. When the game turns completely fluid with no one spending more than a minute in a lane at a time, I get lost. I don't know what I'm expected to do and where I'm expected to be. If I try to push a tower in an abandoned lane, I know I'll get ganked by the roving blob. if I stick with other players, I don't have the tactical skills to manage a 4 v 4 fight.

Please help me to understand the macro and strategic elements of the blob phase of the game. I enjoy the for the most part--learning this one facet has been difficult for me.

Bridget FF

08-27-2009

May I recommend The Art of War by Sun Tzu?

1. "He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious."
2. "He who knows when he can fight and when he cannot, will be victorious."
3. "All warfare is based on deception."
4. "The enlightened ruler is heedful, and the good general full of caution."
5. "To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill."
6. "Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster."
7. "If fighting is sure to result in victory; then you must fight"
8. "The general who advances without coveting fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, ..., is the jewel of the kingdom"

8D

Anansi

Adjudicator

08-27-2009

Evizaer, first things first: I totally understand what you're going through, but don't give up. I does get better.

Competitive games - even in Beta - invariably generate "testosterone behavior" where people want to berate you, show how awesome they are, and how rubbish you play. It's rather unfortunate, but it's part of human nature.

I am not among the very good myself, but here are a couple of tips:
- focus on a champion. Pick anyone you like, preferrably with a bit of survivability. Go the directory of guides in this section of the forums. Find a guide for your favourite toon, and read it.
- try and play in practice games sometimes. Make one called "for new players", and get to play with people who are not ultimate-1337-optimization-kings. Get a feel for your champion.
- read some more on the guide and strategy section. It always helps. click here for a basics guide.
- when you go back to the big basin, pay attention to a couple of things like your minimap (it's like your rearviewmirror, you should check it every 5 seconds or so), "ping" sounds when your teammates signal something.
- as you learn this game, you should have only ONE priority: not dying. Ever. Go back on your lane. Tell your team you don't manage to lane against your opponents. Tell them you're going to lose a tower. It doesn't matter to lose a tower. It matters a lot more to give the opposing team a "first blood kill bonus". Just do whatever it takes to stay alive, even if it means going back to base very often. Use teleport. Stay away from Revive. Green players take revive to avoid doing nothing, but more often than not you wish they didn't because all they do is die more to the opponent.
Use your death time to look at what is going on on the map.
- Oh, above all, unlock your camera. You need this to look at the map, and you need to learn how to play without.

Hope this helps!

A.

eXes

08-27-2009

Pretty true waht Anansi writes there,

Also never forget to have fun in your games. Some players take it all a bit too serious, if you take it easy, it will be far easier for you to oversee the game.

Once your are used the the common gameplay do not hesitate to try out new stuff you think that might be awesome.

When someone is chatting to you ingame, take it as advices even if they say "omg nub stop feed", this just means "try to take care to die less, keep the minimap in mind and better retreat in time than killing another minion and then get ganked".

evizaer

08-27-2009

@Bridget: I have read the art of war and I understand it's principles. I'm asking about how specifically, in LoL, I can apply them. The generalities don't help in this case.

Yes, I am aware of the basic advice that's been given so far. I've read several basics guides. I started this thread because I would like to know more about how to play in the later game when each team gathers and the game turns into 4v4 battles and roving gank gangs. I can hold my own in a lane and get kills without dying, but when the game changes towards the end into a 3v3/4v4/gank-fest I have trouble adapting. I'd like to know what is expected at that point and what kind of strategies people use with regards to movement, which lanes to choose, etc.. I understand it's all juggling to try to get a numbers advantage, but I've many times seen a 3v2 end in a stalemate where the three simple will not attack the two, even when the other opponents are accounted for in other lanes.

Zoobi

08-27-2009

Honestly, before we can give you anymore advice, you need to tell us a specific champion that you like to play. All we can give you at this point is general advice.

Hiclic

08-27-2009

It's fairly difficult to give you solid advice as every game is different. Not only are your teammates and opponents using different champions+item builds but their levels of experience and communication comes into play as well. I'll note two general ways to start fights in pubs.

Screening: You will generally want to roam with your team, or close to your team, and pick off opponents. If a teammate finds an opponent before you find someone, join them. If you have stuns/slows or a good escape mechanism, it's your job to be more aggressive in seeking out opponents to gank. Once you've killed one, or a few, champions you have better chances of taking their turrets unmolested.

Laning: This is a very standard way to start a group fight. You push a lane to their tower, they feel they have the upper hand with knowledge of your location and a turret, so they are more willing to engage you. This usually favors champs that can take hits and casters that can set up AOE's in the small corridors of lanes.

Katalystik

08-27-2009

Well, you can only learn these things from practice. Keep playing and as you come into contact with these situations, you'll start to understand what to do. Every situation is different, so there is no difinitive advice that could cover every possible outcome.

And about the numbers game, while true, its not always necessary. Coordination between even two people can wipe out 3 or even 4 people, or at a minimum cause them to fall back, allowing time for your side to organize better.

If vent is not available, then make use of chat. I know its slow but its much better than a silent game. Team communication is key to winning. Call MIA's, call champ movement (ping at a minimum), and definitly call your ganks.

Bean

08-27-2009

People get mad at you because this is a team game. If one player does badly, then the rest of the team suffers as well.

Denreth

08-27-2009

Communication is generally a key to victory when it comes to matches as you describe. Talking to your team, (not chatting, more like relaying messages), helps infinitely. Things such as pointing out enemy locations, where a push is occurring, where the enemy is defending, where you spotted enemies in what forest, ect. ect. All these things, while maybe obvious to you, might help teammates out who do not spot such things. This works both ways, obviously, as you want your team spouting out whatever information they have to help you avoid those nasty 3+v1 gank fests. Another important factor is knowing. It's just like G.I. Joe says: Knowing is half the battle. Know your own hero and know what heros your fighting. The more yo know what you can do to your enemy and to possibly get away from your enemy, and the more you know what your enemy can do to stop and/or kill you, the better. This means reading guides and possibly playing through matches as heros you generally are killed by to see how exactly they are killing you. Trial and error are the names of the game. In regards on what lanes to choose, ect. during the gank-fests, it's really fluid. As you described 'blob'. Trying to be on the opposite side of the map that you see enemies, or sticking with teammates is the general idea at that point. What to do in team fighting is dependent on what hero you're playing as. For instance, Warwick, (which you said you did fairly well with), is an excellent jungler, which can earn him fast gold and become a good early game ganker. By late game he becomes a carry and almost impossible to stop if he's done well with ganking early game. Generally just find strats and read up on the hero you are/wanting to play as so going into a game you already know what you're going to do. 3v2 ending in stalemates could have a variety of reasons associated with them. Things such as the 2 standing beside a tower, having the creep advantage, simply being stronger heros or having a better hero combo to fight the 3 all could affect whether or not the greater number decides to attack. LoL is by no means a shallow game, but once you get some experience under your belt things should start falling into place. Just don't let elitist jerks spoil your fun (after all, this is a GAME.)

Hope it helped.