How to Gragas?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dane Dread

04-29-2011

I've been trying to figure out how to build and play Gragas the last few weeks and I keep coming up with the same result. He just seems a bit lacking. I've seen in him some tournament streams so he must be viable and I'm just doing something wrong.

I've tried pure tank Gragas with 0/21/9 masteries. Skilling up I focus on body slam and drunken rage. Grab a sheen and he's a pretty good initiator and tank through mid game.

Build: merc treads, sheen, spirit visage, glacial shroud (Frozen Heart later), Aegis

I've tried AP off tank Gragas with 9/0/21 masteries. He does alright on soaking up damage but it feels like you want to play him as more of a ranged AP champ and save the body slam for slowing anybody chasing a carry. Harder to use his ult to good effect with a longer travel time though.

Build: merc treads, RoA, spirit visage, glacial shroud, abyssal scepter, zhona's hourglass.

How do you Gragas that works? I'm torn on how to build and play him and what I've figured out so far just feels inferior to a lot of other tanks choices. I don't see the niche where I should use Gragas over say Cho or Malphite.

kwjnfkjsdg

04-30-2011

yep. you're right. he's an overall weak champion and is pretty much overshadowed in every potential role. however, he is GODLIKE EARLY GAME. crazy range, impossible to remove from lane, and attack speed debuff makes him a beast in early game scrimages.

tank grag is the way to go, as only 2 skills actually scale AP. get randuins, sunfire, or bveil as your first tank item. i'm suer you know how to play him. rage>charge up>knock back enemy carry to initiate>barrel the enemy dps. etc.

AP grag is pretty fun too. not in the least bit viable, but it has its niche. wait for someone else to intiate, then when everyone is bundled up, throw in a barrel. enemies will fly in 10 different directions while half their health bar just disappeared, screwing up their team organization. i like to get 2-3 dorans rings early game, then stack straight AP, and get a lich bane.

but yes, if you want a good tank, singed, alistar, amumu, and shen are probably the four strongest choices. for an aoe caster, brand, annie, and kassadin are much better.

gragas is just gonna be left in the dust until his much needed buff, when riot gets their shyt together. which seems incredibly unlikely as riot seems to be trolling us with the gp nerf and taric makeover.

Powerstoned

04-30-2011

9/21/0

and then 2 slightly different options I label "offense" or "defense"...

RoA>Merc Treds>Negatron,Cape>Chainmail>Giant's Belt>(finish) Sunfire>(finish) Abyssal>Rylai>Deathcap

or

Banshee Veil>Merc Treds>Chainmail>Giant's Belt>(finish)Rylai's>(finish)Sunfire>Abyssal>Death cap

Both very tanky...both have very respectable amounts of AP, even if you dont get to your last items.

Dane Dread

04-30-2011

Ah well. I really enjoy the Gragas champion. He must me remind me of college. His kit seems to be good. I guess I'll keep him on the back burner for messing around games and try him out again if he ever gets a redesign.

Trash AW

04-30-2011

Idk what y'all are on. AP Grag rapes. Rush catalyst/RoA then get Rabadons. GG.

Oh, once you get an RoA you can one hit an entire wave of casters. Not to mention your barrel can hit both melee and caster creeps if positioned right. Bodyslam is also AoE for insane farming. Farm farm farm farm. That's what Grag is all about. Dat barrel harass and farm. Protect team with ulti / pull runners for kills.

ErgonomicAxe

04-30-2011

Gragas is a great asset to the team. His ult has so much utility, and I think gets overlooked. I play him as a tank with bv, aegis, and fh as my main items. With his slow and ult he disrupts what the other team is trying to do, and he has an escape spell which is very useful for a tank. I think where you may be going wrong is focusing on body slam. I get only one point into it, as I'll be hitting with barrel roll much more often and using the slam to escape. Plus the slow doesn't level up.

Tori Niku Sushi

04-30-2011

If you can rush a sunfire's on Twisted Tree line, 3v3, and not have a horribly incompetent team, you will never lose as Gragas. You might have around 2.3k HP by the 20 min mark, and the minions on TT are worth almost double the GP than on summoner's rift.

Is TT trynd gonna wreck you? BARREL down is ATKSPD then start meleeing. Wait for endless rage/w.e then body slam him AND ult him to get some distance so he can't keep attacking while you wait for his ult to end. By the time his ult is over, body slam is probably ready again, as is your barrel roll. Unless he runs for his life at his ult, he will lose the 1v1 about 75% of the time.

Is TT noct super OP? Again, barrel roll + sunfire + body slam will really even the odds. And if he ulted to you, you can just jump the nearest wall to get away while he has to walk around or use flash to chase.

My TT gragas ALWAYS has CV and ghost. I can cross the entire map with lvl 2 boots in about 30 secs, be anywhere in 30 secs pretty much. So CV will keep them paranoid and hestitant to take dragon!

DA

05-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ON3EIG8HTSE7EN View Post
Idk what y'all are on. AP Grag rapes. Rush catalyst/RoA then get Rabadons. GG.

Oh, once you get an RoA you can one hit an entire wave of casters. Not to mention your barrel can hit both melee and caster creeps if positioned right. Bodyslam is also AoE for insane farming. Farm farm farm farm. That's what Grag is all about. Dat barrel harass and farm. Protect team with ulti / pull runners for kills.

This.

My build is different but its of no matter.

AP Gragas is a murderer in a solo lane. Anyone who says otherwise has a helmet on IRL. If played well, his burst and harass is just absurd early on. If he is mid, his top/bot ganks are very strong with his ult and with BS he gets to other lanes quickly.

Duo lanes requires a much tankier if not full tanky gragas. Tanky Grag was a monster before locket went poof. AP needs the levels and money to take advantage of his heavy early game damage. Duo's he just never gets there well.

malphismia

05-05-2011

His early game is his peak.

Tank Gragas is outshined by many, it's like building tank Sion. You must build some form of damage, because he'll never be a true tank like Shen.

My suggestion: Buy Lichbane/Trinity Force (depending on if team comp AD/AP) then build tanky. You need to take advantage of his spammable spells and escape mechanism.

By the way, the most acceptable build right now is build him like a standard caster. RoA,Deathcap,Voidstaff etc. But you will always know other casters, like Anivia, can do better with the same items.