Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Defensive vs Offensive

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

squeekitoy

03-05-2010

I've been playing League for awhile and I've noticed a trend between players. Some people play more or less offensive or defensive then the other. Because LoL is heavily set on teams when everybody is playing differently you're bound to lose so you learn to adjust and adapt to the other player in your lane.

I'm assuming we can all agree that everybody plays differently and to win you have to work with the other person in your lane.

When your opponent is incredibly vulnerable, say they have a Mordekaiser with his shield down, sporting 2 bars of HP, with a level 5 Warwick standing next to him, all of the way down your lane, you turn on the offense. You aim to take out Mordekaiser. My allie refused to walk next to me. I couldn't jump and kill Mordekaiser because I knew Warwick + Minions > Me. So I needed my allie to help.

He wouldn't help. Isn't that bad playing? I'm a terribly offensive player, I love exploiting my enemies mistakes. My ally in my lane (Pantheon) was terribly defensive. He didn't finish his boots until 30 minutes into the game. (He was summoner level 30, 399 wins.)

Then I realized something. I'm losing because somebody in my lane doesn't want to do anything. They don't even want to use mana because they can't run, they don't finish there boots.

I'm beginning to conclude that in most cases, not all, but most that when your allies are playing defensively early-late game you will lose. You can't sit on a turret and expect to win, you will lose when me and my offensive buddy Sion or Teemo decide to walk through the turret and eat you.

Am I wrong? In some cases it is good to play defensively but all game? When you haven't even really began to lose yet, why would you let them dictate all decisions made in the game?

So after about 4 deaths I realized that this team wasn't normal, I pulled back and asked them if they were going to do anything.

All four of them criticized me for getting 4 deaths. Our Twitch got 8, our Pantheon got 3, our Gangplank got 7. I got 4 and I was the feeder.

After 399 games don't you realize that you need to do something?.. Anything to win? You can't sit on the turret and wait for them to lose, they'll all shift to another turret and eventually you'll have nothing to hide behind and they will be fed. Am I wrong?

If I'm wrong, explain. If somebody knows what I'm doing wrong please correct me. I want some insight. How can I improve this situation?

Alistar has no level. <3

Trio

Recruiter

03-05-2010

So the answer to the question is it better to play defensively or offensively is simple: It depends.

In my opinion playing defensively has it's benefits and so does playing offensively. On the one hand if you play on your turret (mind you if you do this you had better be getting at least XP, though you should be last hitting for the gold which will make or break games on it's own) you are setting up ganks for your teammates because the enemy has to extend and come out to your tower in order to get the experience from your minions dying to theirs.

On the other hand killing players that are low health and easy targets when you know there will be no hidden retribution waiting in the bush beside them is also a good idea, because again it relates back to the comment about gold making or breaking games; the team that gets 10+ more kills than the other team will often win simply because they could purchase more items and stay in their lanes longer to outlevel their opponenets, thus making it hard to defend your base against them.

The big thing I think though is that you can't not play along with how your team is playing, or you WILL lose. I played with this jax and taric who started goin "oh your such a noob why would you do this or that" and I knew we would lose right off the bat because they couldn't work together, effectively making the game a 5 on 4 or worse 5 on 3. (If you've ever played a game with leaver you will agree that it is very hard to play like that, though still doable in some cases).

So therefore the answer is make sure that whatever you are doing your teammate is at the very least there to help you out if it's in their power, even if they do not play the way you do. That is probably the best way to go, but remember it's just a game and that people play differently so pretty much all play styles are viable, but the thing that makes them work is teamwork.

raydenuni

03-05-2010

Different personalties = different play styles. Some like to take advantage of situations, push their luck without knowing the outcome. Others like to plan ahead, ensure victory before the battle starts.

condon

Recruiter

03-05-2010

I get de bloodlust *uhhn* Just like Columbus *uhhn* I get the bloodlust I get murderous on pourpose.

In the interest of being constructive, I understand the frustration at turtling, but sometimes in very tight games it really does come down to waiting for the enemy team to make a mistake. THEN you get the bloodlust.

If you find it particularly upsetting, try juking to a different lane. If your lane mate is playing like hes in hardcore mode, he can hold his own at the tower to his hearts content while you hustle down to mid for a gank, or hook around to bot. Maybe even jungle a bit, depending on the char. The thing with a lot of defensive players is that if they see a clear advantage *say, you're both three levels up because you were jungling* then they might be baited into taking that integral first step forward.

*Uhhn*

TaigaStance

Recruiter

03-05-2010

I understand your frustration. Synergy is important in the laning phase, and if you solo queue a lot it may be difficult to work with everyone you meet.
Myself, I played defensively for a long while as I was not willing to take risks. Then I read Playing to be Evil (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=14432) on the forums, and it somewhat enlightened me about playstyles.
From my experiences, if you're laning with someone being defensive-passive, be a bit aggressive. Sometimes it helps turn their play around.
If not, encourage them through chat, and remember to be nice. Having the right mentality is half the battle. I'm sure a lot of people will agree that playing defensive doesn't net wins, since the team has to push in order to get anywhere.

You mentioned that you're not a good offensive player. Your best way to improve the situation is to start playing more aggressively. Experiment your limits, and don't be afraid to die. Solo queuing requires an open mentality of who you're working with and who you're facing. Sounds like your whole team that game only cared about kills/deaths and feeders. No wonder they were defensive.

MrRumble

03-05-2010

Let your lane partner know your intentions early.

I often start a match (playing Sion as an example) and let my lane partner know
A: I'm not levelling stun (unless specifically asked during select) til lvl2 or 3 (so don't be all like WTF where were you he got away)
B: I'm not running into bushes blindly before laning phase even starts
C: I'll stun shield combo when they're around 50-60% health so be ready with whatever you have.
D: to team, I'm not a tank, don't expect me to initiate, (you'll thank me when I blow them up for 700 after Mort wades in there)

Blaz3king

03-05-2010

its only good to play offensive when you know what you can do. before you enter the battle do some quick math. As in how much damage you can do as a team and is enough and think how much damage they can do to you. It all depends on the situation. IF you realize there too strong just farm creeps hug tower and wait for a gank. If the enemy has been harrased , stun him exhaust dead. There is no perfect way to play but sometimes you might have a bad lanning problem and cant team right so play defensive till you can gank.

Eviant

03-05-2010

Communication is key to start. Find out just how your team mate plays, and if he plays defensively, than start the game like that. It allows you to harass in a safer environment, and gives you more time to chase an opponent. Do that for a couple levels, use it to get a couple of kills, and then you can move out. Your partner will follow you most of the time, simply because you have shown that you are skilled enough to hold your own.

Secondly, as frustrating as it may be, a defensive character should be able to defend his turret easily, harassing anyone who comes close. Take the time to press Mid, and cause a couple of deaths. Go jungle to keep your MIA status, and just keep an eye on your old lane, popping in once in a while when you know you can kill one of them.

squeekitoy

03-07-2010

Quote:
condon:
I get de bloodlust *uhhn* Just like Columbus *uhhn* I get the bloodlust I get murderous on pourpose.

In the interest of being constructive, I understand the frustration at turtling, but sometimes in very tight games it really does come down to waiting for the enemy team to make a mistake. THEN you get the bloodlust.

If you find it particularly upsetting, try juking to a different lane. If your lane mate is playing like hes in hardcore mode, he can hold his own at the tower to his hearts content while you hustle down to mid for a gank, or hook around to bot. Maybe even jungle a bit, depending on the char. The thing with a lot of defensive players is that if they see a clear advantage *say, you're both three levels up because you were jungling* then they might be baited into taking that integral first step forward.

*Uhhn*

Thank you for this response, I think it's my best solution when I fall into the rut I was in. I hadn't considered cutting my losses and moving to another lane or assisting somewhere else.

Hell, even jungling would've been a good idea early on. So simple, terribly over looked. ^_^ Thanks again.