AD and AP

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

newsca

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

03-05-2010

"It is not about the champion, it is how you use it" -Unknown

Yes, the same old quote on all my threads. If it is no ones, then it is mine.

I do NOT get the difference between AD and AP. I know AD is attack damage, and AP is ability power( I originally thought it was attack power! but not a big difference anyways. ) Is it like AD can be Magic or Regular and AP only refers to Attack? I am really confused. Can someone please post a reply!

Pwnacus Maximus

03-05-2010

AD buffs your autoattack damage and skills that gain bonuses from it, like Pantheon's spear shot.

AP buffs your abilities if they gain damage from it, like TF's gold card.

newsca

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

03-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnacus Maximus View Post
AD buffs your autoattack damage and skills that gain bonuses from it, like Pantheon's spear shot.

AP buffs your abilities if they gain damage from it, like TF's gold card.
Thanks for the quick reply. Still kind of confusing but i kind of get it now.

Pwnacus Maximus

03-05-2010

Yeah. AP doesn't affect anything unless the spell denotes that it does, and AD affects your autoattack damage and spells that use it.

Weyen

03-05-2010

A spell which is influenced by AP has something in the description like "Deals 123(+20) damage". The "(+20)" part shows how much your current AP is adding to the ability. Different abilities use different percentages of your total AP. there's a handy thread on the ratios here:
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=15812

AD usually doesn't influence your skills directly, but sometimes you get abilities which work off your normal attack, like Sivir's Ricochet, which deals a percent of the normal damage to the next target, so having a high AD means the Ricochets will deal more damage.

In general, AP is used for burst damage (very large damage over a short time) while AD is used for increasing damage over a longer period of time (and for pushing things like towers and inhibitors, which usually can't be targetted by spells).