Why No One Should Ever Buy Crit DMG

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EnderA

03-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combine44 View Post
Crit damage is definitely still worth it on ashe and Shaco though, especially since u can only get 50% extra in game from the most expensive item. With those 2 champs u can get guaranteed crits on the first hit which is great early game.
No. Reread my post, and see: https://www.leagueoflegends.com/boar...408#post778408 and the next post by wildfire393. Remember my calculations are for the damage ON THE CRIT.

At best you should get 20 Armor Penetration and a few Crit Damage runes.

Azing

03-05-2010

Depends on the hero really. Crit DMG is much better in terms of the fact you can get Crit damage on heroes. Its main use is for heroes that depend on crits for their damage to shine. Heroes I'd actively use Crit DMG on...

Gankplank
Shaco
Tyr
Patheon

Really though where ArP takes benefit over crit dmg depends on how much crit chance takes out from other items on a character and how much armor the other team has. If they odn't have much ARP will shine greatly, while if they stack it a lot Crit DMG might play out better.

EnderA

03-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combine44 View Post
Ok here is why i disagree, with Ashe I Always get last whisperer which is 40 Armour pen more than enough for most heroes who don't get Armour items. Then i can get guaranteed, initial crit for high damage and with an inf edge and PD, high crit chance with dps. Your math may be right for a naked hero but for most people who spend their gold it is wrong.
With Last Whisper, Flat Armor Pen is even better, because % armor penetration reduces the amount of effective armor they have, and since armor penetration is hyperbolic in effectiveness, it gets more effective.

With items, armor penetration is still more effective, even with 100% chance to crit, unless they have over 105 effective armor (after a Last Whisper, or black cleaver, or starks fervor, or brutalizer, if you have one.) With Infinity Edge, that armor requirement is increased even more, to 148 effective armor (after a Last Whisper, or black cleaver, or starks fervor, or brutalizer, if you have one.) EVEN IF YOU HAVE 100% CHANCE TO CRIT!

I don't know how I can make it any more clear. Armor Penetration is so much better than Critical Damage that it's better at increasing Critical Damage. I know, it sucks that you bought a ton of Critical Damage runes that are strictly inferior to Armor Penetration, but it's true.

Rayansaki

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-05-2010

I don't think most of the people commenting here can read, you should add this in bold in your original post:

EVEN YOUR CRITS HIT HIGHER WITH ARMOR PENETRATION RUNES THAN WITH CRIT DAMAGE RUNES, AND CRIT DAMAGE DOES **** FOR NORMAL ATTACKS, BUT EVEN WITH 100% CRIT, ARMOR PENETRATION IS STILL BETTER

Charmicarmicarmicat

03-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squelos View Post
For Tryn, Crit damage is far better than crit chance.
Why ? Because you already start off with something like 25% chance to crit at lvl 1 with tryn, and go up to over 50% very quickly.
mid/late game, you have something like 80% crit chance, which goes up to 100% when under ulti.
Why get more crit chance when you are already at 100% ? Useless ...
wat

Combine44

03-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderA View Post
With Last Whisper, Flat Armor Pen is even better, because % armor penetration reduces the amount of effective armor they have, and since armor penetration is hyperbolic in effectiveness, it gets more effective.

With items, armor penetration is still more effective, even with 100% chance to crit, unless they have over 105 effective armor (after a Last Whisper, or black cleaver, or starks fervor, or brutalizer, if you have one.) With Infinity Edge, that armor requirement is increased even more, to 148 effective armor (after a Last Whisper, or black cleaver, or starks fervor, or brutalizer, if you have one.) EVEN IF YOU HAVE 100% CHANCE TO CRIT!

I don't know how I can make it any more clear. Armor Penetration is so much better than Critical Damage that it's better at increasing Critical Damage. I know, it sucks that you bought a ton of Critical Damage runes that are strictly inferior to Armor Penetration, but it's true.
Well if you are right, which you seem like you are. Then screw Riot for making this a math game instead of what makes sense. Im keeping my crit runes for hope that RIOT does the right thing and because I'm not an Exploiter who pulles out his calculator to get an advantage online.(J.K. About the last part I just bought 4 Armour penetration runes BTW).

The main thing I just don't understand is why they designers made it so that Armour penetration works better on less armor, that would be like if in real life armourpiercing bullets worked better against flesh and Hollowpoints worked better against Kevlar. Just dosn't make any kind of sense. Rather than nerfing Armour Pen runes they should rework how the damage is calculated.

Supermanoop

03-05-2010

How about Armor Pen vs Attack Spd runes for sustained DPS? Can anyone suggest which I should buy for Tryndamere?

Prospero

03-05-2010

Don't champs have < 30 armor at the start of the round? I always figured the only valid use of crit damage runes was for gank happy Shaco's at level 1.

EnderA

03-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermanoop View Post
How about Armor Pen vs Attack Spd runes for sustained DPS? Can anyone suggest which I should buy for Tryndamere?
If the only champion you play is Tryndamere, I'd definitely get Crit Chance. Starting with 14% additional Crit Chance from marks and quints allows him to build up bloodlust charges very quickly, even early game.

Attack Speed vs Armor Penetration is not quite as straightforward as Armor Pen vs Crit Damage, mainly because if you have on-hit abilities (like Twitch's poison, or Jax's ultimate - who does largely magic damage, or Taric's Imbue's innate cooldown reduction on hit, or Tryndamere trying to crit often) then attack speed gets considerably better. If you're focusing on sustained DPS to basic creeps or towers, attack speed is better. Otherwise (against neutrals or champions), I'd definitely stick with Armor Penetration. Although, if they nerf Armor Penetration (which they really ought to) then it'll all change.

So basically, Armor Penetration unless you really want something else. Except for Crit Damage, which you should never get.

Klazzix

03-05-2010

First of all, this is really nice of you.

So this will be a rune question. I've been wondering for sometime now what's a better offensive runeset (DPS) between these two:

a. Pure Critical Chance (20%)
b. Armor Penetration + Critical Chance (29 + 6%)

Let's also say I always get Infinity Edge and Last Whisper as my damage items.

Thanks in advance!