Help with Leona top

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Magicalslowpoke

02-23-2014

EDIT: I am necroing this thread because ive started playing again!

so, one of my favorite picks for top lane lately has actually been Leona. Being probably the most OP support at the moment she can actually do well top lane, maybe not in higher elo or ranked games, but I am doing very well with her and sometimes outright carrying as a trinity tank.

So after playing so many games with her I wanted to bring this to the forums to get input, I want to know if theres anything better than I can do with my masteries or my runes, and I want some feedback on my item build choices. Really I just want feedback in general, what matchups might leona top do well/bad against? any tips or ideas for strategy, general gameplay?

Leonas main strength is being able to make kills very easily in the lower levels, I often get opponents that are careless because they are going against a support top, but leonas full combo with ignite can take down a lot of top champs if they are below half health. I suppose its not a good idea to rely on my opponent being ignorant of a champions strength for an advantage, but im not exactly running her in ranked lobbies.

My mastery page for leona top is #11, my rune page for leona top is page 7

As for items, my first item loadout depends on my matchup. if im predicting a difficult lane against an ad champ i start cloth armor 4hp pots 1 mana pot. against an ap champ i usually start crystal flask + pot combo or a ward if i dont like the enemy jungler. if im confident in my lane matchup and am probably about to spank my lane opponent i start with mana gem + 2 health pots to build sheen faster (the mana gem also often helps me trade enough to get an opponent low enough to kill). From sheen, if I get SUPER fed ill build trinity force with it, if im having an average lane or am falling behind ill build it into an iceborn gauntlet. I always build tanky, with more emphasis on offense if I do extremely well. my few offensive items if any are usually multipurpose defense items as well such as wits end or even maw of malmortius.

I would appreciate any feedback at all, Leona top isnt really a conventional pick so anyones opinion counts. whether you think this is an awesome idea or its the stupidest thing youve seen, give me some feedback here!

Magicalslowpoke

02-23-2014

bump for the dawn

Magicalslowpoke

02-24-2014

oui

SFG mAEtb0y

02-24-2014

I think you should try Doran's Shield start. It is a very strong item right now which makes you very tough to push out of lane even in the worst of matchups. It is the ultimate tanky starting item.

Akromah

02-24-2014

You aren't going to get a lot of love for Leona top here but I'm actually okay with it. The problem is, it synergizes best with a jungler that knows how to use it. The other even bigger problem is the meta top laners atm will be pretty immune to her utility in the laning phase.

Your masteries aren't terrible but can use some work. Your runes are all over the place. I'm not too familiar with leona's damage composition but I'd experiment with mpen or hybrid pen runes, flat armor yellows, scaling MR blues (or maybe even cdr or ap?). You sort of have a conglomeration of confusion but I can't blame you because you're sort of pioneering the build.

Itemwise...I've had success with stuff like sunfire/abyssal and even liandry's. You don't want to build hard AP by any means but having a little AP in the mix seemed to work well.

I almost forgot masteries...you don't really benefit from second wind at all. You also don't benefit from the monster reduction mastery...remember monsters aren't minions! I'd get those points into legendary guardian, or the MR. I'd also take 2 out of the tier 1 regen talent and toss it into % armor/mr because how much that synergizes with Leona. Again, there isn't any theorycrafting out for this...I'm merely speculating. Good luck. Let us know how it goes

Magicalslowpoke

02-24-2014

I appreciate the feedback akromah, but I believe you are looking at the wrong masteries, my Leona top mastery page is 21/9/0 so i cant even have second wind, also I have no minion related masteries to speak of for either her support or top setups o_o do you believe it would be better to focus more on tankiness though?

as for the items, huh, I never thought to build leonas offense as AP focused, I never build a lot but i Usually focus on a little ad, such as in iceborn gauntlet plus the sheen proc, because building an early sheen makes her scary in lane. I like the idea of sunfire/abyssal combo a lot, i think im going to be trying this soon

and yeah, my runes are weird for the moment. my intended setup is filling my marks with hybrid pen, armor marks, MR glypths, with two hp/5 quints and one MS quint. I am still building my marks, however.

Magicalslowpoke

02-25-2014

still seeking feedback, made a few tweaks to my masteries and build approach. bump for the dawn!

OfficerSmiles

02-26-2014

bump

Hadien

02-26-2014

AD actually scales deceptively well on her. A Hydra allows her to do an excruciating amount of damage on the other top laner while giving her sustain. W,E, auto, Q, auto, hydra, and bam! you've done at least 4x your AD in damage in the time span of 2 autos (~x5-x6 if you throw in a TF), plus all that magic damage, defenses, and CC from skills to make trading difficult. Hydra also nets the benefit of not expending mana when you want to wave clear.

I would still recommend defense oriented items like sunfire and omen, with hydra+TF/iceborne as your damage items to synergize with her long CC chain. Leona is a proficient diver so some permanent armor to handle towers while W is down goes an extremely long way.

Magicalslowpoke

02-26-2014

I like this idea a lot Hadien, I havent thought to build hydra before unless I was super fed and absolutely steamrolling the other team, I think I might look into buying it earlier. only difficult thing is, TF or hydra first? hmm, more trial and error...