[GUIDE] Rammus the Armordillo

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

crujuco

03-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xocolatl View Post
I've been trying to start my game with Powerball instead of defensive curl. It's working really well, because I can suddenly go on the offensive at early level, rather than trying to just hang back. I find that pressuring other champs suit my play style much better than playing hard D.
As such I have also switched over to Cloth Armor + pots -> HoG too. It helps survivability much more so than getting regen item first.

By the way--Warmorg VS Frozen Hammer--both offers initial 700HP. I tend to not kill that many minions, so I feel that Warmorg is never quite worth it for me. What do you think?
I always used to go cloth armor & pots aswell. I find that health regen is much more effective. Every game I play I will kill the small neutrals befoe i go and take my lane. Pop DBC and you will shred them without taking to much damage. I only use powerball sparingly until i can get Philosphers Stone. Once you have PS your mana problems are a lot less painful.

I think rammus benifits from having 1 PS & 1 HoG as early as possible though as it helps you get the higher tier items a lot quicker. The quicker you get those items the quicker you can farm/kill/assist more effiently.

And I urge any rammus player to try out a nashors tooth. I really think it is an outstanding item on him.

Xocolatl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-11-2010

I have always have a bit of a problem building my champ for a long game.

I think I'll try PS and HoG combo next time I play.

By the way--if golems come up instead of wolves, is it still a good idea to engage them at level 1?

Xocolatl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-13-2010

Sorry to bump in this manner, but I feel that this is one of the better Rammus guide out there, and should be kept alive.

Any, I tried out a new build today by starting with Cloth Armor + Fairy Charm. I guess you can just grab cloth armor, then rush right out, try an early gank, then port back. Should work well if you make a 3 man gank, especially with the aid of Clairvoyance, you should be able to attack those in the bush very successfully.
But I decided to just stay at the spawn and waited 5 sec for my gold to buy the Charm instead (It's too early in the morning to be so aggressive).
It was a real pain to not have an HP pot, but some conservative play, and the fact that I can spam Powerball that much more often helps a lot.

I then proceeded to make Tears of Goddess asap, followed by boots (I got mercury for that game..big mistake, due to our DPS not willing to buy EC to deal with Warwick), then make a Thornmail out of Cloth Armor.
I really feel "naked" without Frozen Heart's slow, and I don't have that much AR. I wasn't expecting the physical DPS to be a problem that game (they shouldn't be. We have Veigar's stun + 3 DPS..), so that was really tough. I don't think it's a problem with the build though.

What this allows me to do is to be extremely aggressive with pushing, since I can really spam my abilities at any given time without ever running out of mana.
pro tip: spam DBC and PB while in spawn point also give you extra mana from Tears.

TKana

03-15-2010

Updated the main guide. Added a skill leveling part and fixed some typo's and format issues.

@Xocolatl (killing a neutral group): I usually only kill the neutrals at start when i can get my team mate to help. They wont kill you if you are solo, but will usually cost you atleast 1 heal pot or more to get to full HP. If you plan on doing this, i storngly suggest grabbing Defensive Curl at level 1. Not only will it damage them (for slightly less though), it will also minimize the damage you recieve.

@crujuco (Nashor's Tooth): Could you explain to me why Nashor's is such a great investment? In my opinion, the only good thing it offers is the cooldown reduction, but if you really wanted that, a Frozen Heart would be a better choice.

@Xocolatl (Fairy Charm): I can't express how bad a choice i think this item is. Not only the whole debate about mana regen vs burst mana, but lets look at it from another angle. Fairy Charm offers 3 mana every 5 seconds. This means in a 1 minute period it will regenerate 12x3 = 36 mana. This is completely nothing in terms of mana usage. Upgrading it to a Tear is even worse, allow me to explain:
A Tear of the Goddess costs 980 gold, but will give you 950 mana (when maxed) and 5 mana per 5 seconds (aka 60 mana per minute). It offers nothing on you defense, and cannot be upgraded to anything 'tanky'. For this gold, you could buy half the parts of a Thornmail, a Negaton Cloak and half a Ruby Crystal or if you are really into mana, a Sage's Ring (which you can use to upgrade into a Frozen Heart).

@Xocolatl (Warmorg VS Frozen Hammer): both are excellent choice's in my opinion. The reason i go for Warmorgs is it offers a little bit of regen aswell. My build is 99% based on burst. You head into a fight, kill something, then port back. In such a case, Frozen Mallet would be the better choice as it will increase your team's killing chance. However, i'm a strong believer of me being the initiator, disruptor and tanker of my team. As such, i have to gear my self for maximising that potential. Warthog´s give me a base 70 HP more, and a potential 450 if i plan on killing some creeps here and there. I hardly ever get maximum charges, but i usually get about 300-350 HP anyways. In effective health, this is about 900-1200 depending on situation and other gear. This, combined with the regeneration (a stat i lack at this time in the game) it offers, makes it for me the better choice.

@Philo's Stone builders: Its a bad item for most champions. It offer no survivability, no offensive power and the laning power it give would be great at lvl 1, but when you reach level 6 and higher, its vastly overrated. The same amount of money would yield a Heart of Gold, or nearly a Catalyst. The money could also be used for a Null-Magic Mantle and a Chain Vest which would increase your survivability by a lot. Its just not a good item.

Encomium

03-15-2010

I usually skip HoG and go for Sunfire Cape. To me, that item ups Rammus' farm capabilities so much that it's worth skipping HoG.

Xocolatl

03-16-2010

You're right. The mana return on Fairy Charm is pitiful. While I feel that having the extra mana from Tears really help you farm, I have come to share your sentiment that it's not the best item out there for Rammus.
I always prioritize effective mana (I used to play support a lot), and I thought that Tears gave a really good bang for my bucks mana-wise. It seems to up my damage potential a lot for early ganking (I can spam Powerball quite a bit more without running low on mana), but it just doesn't work out in the long run.
While having more mana can help getting some extra gold and farming in nice and early (Powerball and Tremor really is amazing for farming), not having HoG does mean I have quite a bit less gold later on.

I have been trying out yet another new build, prioritizing getting some mana for early ganking. I'm doing cloth armor>5pots>mana gem>catalyst>shoes or thorn armor or Frozen Heart, depending on how much cash I have. Then I use Catalyst to finish up Banshee's Veil.
I've been lucky lately, only getting to fight really bad players. Hence I always get a lot of cash early, and I can finish some nice items early as well.
But yeah, with Banshee + Frozen Heart, I seem to have mana oozing out my nose. It was really fun in most game..until I ran into Veigar. I was just really successful with ganking, getting loads of cash, and making lots of items, and I totally forgot he was in the next lane. While I was stomping over his entire team, Primordial Burst alone can bring me down to half HP in no time flat. That **** hurts..

RandomGKL

03-16-2010

Rammus is a strange tank for me, people always seem to feed me early on lol. I usally just grab warmong's and ninja tabi asap then stack defence curl (1 pont in taunt/spin). With a well timed hp pot and ralley with defence curl up people really underestamate how much relitive hp i have, they stand there trying to finish me losing dps race with my hp lol (pre-lvl 8).

I use mp/5 dodge and attack speed runes, mainly cause my other char uses same ones. Not 30 yet so no point splahing out on loads of expensive runes yet.

TKana

03-16-2010

@Encomium: Sunfire Cape is a horrible item, and unless you plan on stacking it vs a melee only team, it shouldnt be considered. There are far better tanking options for Rammus.

@Xocolatl: Banshee's is an excellent item to start building as it offers a lot for early game and will have its use at end game. HP is a no brainer ofcourse, but mana to keep fighting and Magic resist to avoid ability damage are good stats. Not to mention the spell absorb. As of this patch, there seems to be a 25% of MR converted into Ability power, which will help your damage aswell (bout time).

Ohh, dont get mana items vs a Veigar. Even with full magic resist and DCB he'll still hurt, since any proper Veigar will get a Void Staff and a Deathfire Grasp. That's like 70-80% of your life there. I recommend grabbing Banshee's/Force of Nature fast in such an occasion (depending on group setup ofc). Skip Frozen Heart aswell, it will only make him hit you harder.

Also, with respect towards Tear, usually its actually quite hard to get max stacks on it for Rammus. It has an internal cooldown of 3 seconds, which means you will probably get one or two charges every attack cycle. This in return means you are probably overestimating the beneficial effect Tear gives. Unless you are able to spam spells (Rammus isnt a spell spammer) it wont be that great.

@RandomGKL: dont take this as elitism or anything, but i intended this guide for people who are level 30, and have most of the runes, or have IP to fill up their runebooks if needed. That being said, Rally is a good summoner spell and can give you a kill or two early game, since its quite powerfull at this levels. Late game, it will help you win team fights. I can recommend not getting warmorg´s too early too be honest, unlesst you are facing a very damage diverse team. Thormail mail or Banshee´s add more effective life then Warmongs at those levels, and will make you harder to kill.

Xocolatl

03-16-2010

"As of this patch, there seems to be a 25% of MR converted into Ability power, which will help your damage aswell (bout time)."

Really?
UBERAWESOME~! So this is in the current test realm patch? This would totally make my day.
They might want to adjust it for DBC though, because that's an extra 36 attack out of nowhere. Unless that spell doesn't add to your damage to begin with.

Jolope

03-16-2010

Any thoughts on the reworked Leviathan item for Rammus? (fairly cheap and now get 2 stacks on it for assists as well as kills)