[GUIDE] Rammus the Armordillo

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TKana

03-07-2010

Awnser time, round 2:

@Xocolatl:

If fortitude works for you, you should defenately use it. Im very rusty when it comes to Ghost/clarity and my entire playstyle is based upon it.

About Philo, imagine if you had the mana to pop DC when you needed it, would Philo still give you more survivability over HoG? I hardly have any mana issues, so for me, Philo isnt needed. HoG will give me an edge in a fight, where Philo gives me an edge after the fight. The thing is, HoG will help me survive that fight, Philo wont.

DPS items on a tank are in my opinion a big no-no. I will never stack DPS item if our DPS isnt doing their job. You are either a tank, or a DPS and you should act accordingly.

@KillBilly

Chalice is a great item, no question about it. My opinion on it is the following : You are basically switching out an item spot(chalice) for summoner spell(clarity). IF you, for instance like fortify like Xocolatl does, you could drop clarity, grab fortify and start building chalice at game start. Ive done this when i was starting out with rammus aswell, and it worked fine.

My issue with mana regen items is the following :
Say your like lvl 11, got about 400-500 mana. You engage, pop powerball, DC, taunt 1 target and pop tremors. Your mana will be nearly gone. Mana regen items will not help you go into a chase part at this point, where clarity will give you a full mana bar again, to repeat your powerball-taunt-DC. Its burst mana. Chalice is like MPS. Ive come to my conclusion that burst wins most teamfights.

I dont spam abilities, i dont use DC to kill minions. I just last hit, or pop tremors (big waves). I conserve my mana for when its needed. I play a very aggresive Rammus (which has bitten me in the ass quite a bit aswell).

@Veraticus:
Im a former WoW tank, and ive come to appreciate effective health. Warthog's will give you a lot of base health, but will not increase your EH a lot if its the first item you get. However, combined with other armor/MR items, its by far the most efficient EH item ingame. Ohh, the regen is nice too. When you are killing creepwaves mid-late game, waves will have about 10-15 minions when they reach your tower. This is a easy stack on your Warthog's. I dont plan on getting full stack, and i dont farm for it either. Nice if it happens, but im not aiming for it.

@Arctic Thunder: good job! and bad job :/ you should try to avoid getting champion kills actually. Let the DPS do that, they need the money more then you do.

KillBilly

03-07-2010

as i told i will come back when done with some games

man your setup is very good , as you already sayed clarity is awesome , and i removed all my doubts by using it for around 12 games

in even teams this setup gives rammus a great bust and i see ppl running from me even when we engage 3v5 team fight :P

thnx , great guide

TKana

03-07-2010

Thanks for the compliment

Just posting my strategy and hope it helps others. Feel free to ask any questions and i'll try to answer them. Keep in mind, this guide works for me, or people who play like me and i bet there are people who play differently.

Hope it helps

Garborg

03-07-2010

For most characters dodge is great, but I think it's counter productive on rammus. Expect to get hit a lot and LOVE it as the enemy usually end up doing more damage to themselves.

If you dodge you're taking that benefit away.

TKana

03-07-2010

Testing seems to show that even dodges give reflective damage. Basically meaning that if you dodge an attack, they'll still get damage from DBC and Thornmail. As such, Dodge is a very viable stat, since you wont get any damage and they'll still get their damage (50+25%*base damage). This could easily be 100+ damage, or in case like Yi, around 150-200.

Garborg

03-08-2010

Really? That for sure? I've noticed a decrease in my magic damage done when using dodge build.

Xocolatl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-11-2010

I've been playing a few more games with Rammus, trying out the Defensive mastery tree. It gets me doubting the usefulness of those "block 1 dmg" talents that I've been using. I think it certainly adds up when you're taking a barrage from 6 minions--but is it worth it in the long run? It does virtually nothing against champions.

Garborg

03-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xocolatl View Post
I've been playing a few more games with Rammus, trying out the Defensive mastery tree. It gets me doubting the usefulness of those "block 1 dmg" talents that I've been using. I think it certainly adds up when you're taking a barrage from 6 minions--but is it worth it in the long run? It does virtually nothing against champions.
If I want to spread more points out in the defense tree, I do not max Harden Skin. 1/3 is -1 while 3/3 is only -2.

For 3 points you get -1 from Champs and -3 from minions.
For 5 points you get -2 from Champs and -4 from minions.

I think the 3 point is well worth it. 5 is nice but can be spared in you want some spell specs from defense.

crujuco

03-11-2010

Rammus is the main character I play and do quite well with him.

I have a bit of a hodge podge of runes.

Quints are all plus 4.25 armour

blues are CD and AP

yellow are mana regen and health p/lvl

Red is mostly magic pen and and AP

My starting items are always the following

Phil Stone (start with health pendant) I finish this then
Boots then
HoG

95% I will start on a Nashors tooth after this. I used to use Chalice but I found Nashors offers so much more damage for rammus vs the little bit of extra MR from chalice. Nashors + your mana regen runes should mean you have little problems with mana once NT is complete.

For skills I take
DBC
PB
DBC
PB
Taunt
Tremors
Then max Tremors whenever you can and the PB & DBC equally leaving taunt last to max out.

The reasons I dont put more then 1 point in taunt is because it doesnt get the benfits from nashors. Powerball has a really good AP ratio (I think 1:1) and once you have it max lvl you should be able to powerball into the neautral ghost creeps killing all but the big ghost instantly (with some AP runes).

As for other items it really depends on what your facing. If there are a lot of magic damage or CC get merc treads.

Other Items I constanly get are

Gaurdian angel - This is awsome it has both armour and MR plus an extra life.

Thornmail - If your team is having problems with a physical carry you can rape them with this and DBC

Sunfire Cape - This is awsome, if the game is going late I sell my HoG and buy this.

Warmogs - I buy this when I can afford to sell my PS

Banshees veil - This is a great item, although if you can get away without it go for armour items

Force of Nature - See Banshees

Early Game
Play defensively until you have enough money to buy your PS (if you are doing well wait til you can buy boots aswell). you can have aggresive moments buy only when you can pop your DBC, also use PB sparingly as it costs to much mana to spam. Once you have your PS you can take any of the minor jungle mobs easily buy PB in the droping DBC. Continue Laning until you have at least enough money to buy a HoG.

Mid Game
As long as your not getting owned work on getting Nashors. I get the Fiendish Codex 1st then stinger then turn into nashors. Once you have nashors you will be able to wipe out neatral creeps and enemy creep waves incredibly quick.

Late Game
By now you should have some High lvl armour or magic resist. I personally like iniating from the side of behind. Eg - your team is pushing mid you hide slightly up ahead in grass (sometimes with another team mate) and when the opposite team is staring down your team or starting to initiate thats when i powerball into as many as possible. Soon as you hit drop tremors, DBC and taunt the squishiest target available.

I also nearly always take heal and fortify.

Xocolatl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-11-2010

I've been trying to start my game with Powerball instead of defensive curl. It's working really well, because I can suddenly go on the offensive at early level, rather than trying to just hang back. I find that pressuring other champs suit my play style much better than playing hard D.
As such I have also switched over to Cloth Armor + pots -> HoG too. It helps survivability much more so than getting regen item first.

By the way--Warmorg VS Frozen Hammer--both offers initial 700HP. I tend to not kill that many minions, so I feel that Warmorg is never quite worth it for me. What do you think?