Team-building Help

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LiterallyAPanda

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

03-04-2010

Hi. I recently started playing LoL (played a bunch of DotA years ago and played a lot of HoN up until I started playing LoL, when I almost stopped completely - LoL is much more fun) about 3 weeks ago and I've recently hit Summoner Level 20. Here's where things get tricky with the Matchmaking - I'm not a great player but I can hold my own typically, however I lose pretty much 4 games for every game I win while solo-queueing, I think the game thinks I'm much better than I actually am. So I've been playing with my friends a lot in 3-5 man premades. This jacks up the ELO (from what I understand from reading about how matchmaking works), so we play players a lot better than I am, but since we have teamwork we can manage something like a 1 win to every 2 losses. It's not great but it's more fun than struggling in Solo Queue.

Anyway, my question was this: Are there any tips to building a more successful team if you can count on your team to pick certain heroes? Setting up successful lanes and whatnot.

One thing we keep running into are teams with a Heimer and a Soraka. The Heimer peeks, throws out AP-pumped missiles, then ducks back to his team to get healed up while we can't push back and chase. This eventually results in our towers being downed and forcing our loss. I assume with smarter team building we could beat something like this, but I'm unclear as to how.

Maybe it would help to show an example of the kind of team we tend to set up:

Blitzcrank, Alistar, Corki, Nidalee, Zilean

I'm sure there are many flaws with this, but having only been playing the game for 3 weeks I'm definitely not experienced enough to identify them.

LiterallyAPanda

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

03-05-2010

Is it because of my summoner name that nobody wants to help?

halfNakedNinja

03-05-2010

chill doode if you post it they will come.

Hetu

03-05-2010

There's some good resources at leaguecraft.com for not only building a team yourself, but looking at other teams submitted by other players.

Grovel

03-05-2010

Looks like a decent team to me. You've got a strong tank, initiator in Alistar, solid secondary initiator/support tank in Blitz. Nid is a great pusher/carry. Corki and Zilean round out your AoE, and Zilean has solid utility + burst. Honestly this comp is probably better than 90% of the solo-queued teams I play with.

Sounds like you just need practice, learning all the champs and what to expect from them. Learn what champs lane well and why (it because pretty obvious the more you play) and what champs can pick up the slack for the others in beginning.

Also, work on coordinated ganks, tower pushes and farming neutrals (especially dragon). No reason not to share the responsibility of warding the river/dragon/rune neutrals if you're playing with friends who can all pick up wards.

PhantomOfAres

03-05-2010

I think the reason you're having trouble is because you don't have any solid ranged harass. Against both Soraka and Heimer, it's good to have some solid ranged dps. Zilean and Corki are both okay at it, but AP mages like them generally are better at spike damage than consistent harass. Soraka can counter decent spikes with her heals and armor, and Heimer can run behind his turrets, or just put them back up once you kill them. I'd consider changing your Nidalee to a ranged DPS hero - Ashe and Sivir are great against Heimer, but there are also Trist, Twitch, Teemo, and a few other viable ones for breaking down Heimer's turret cover.

Another strategy that works well with Heimer is to not push against him. He'll generally set up defenses at the turret. Ignore them. Rather than pushing your lane, last hit creeps and push as little as possible. If he moves his turrets up, kill them, because individually they're not a big deal, but together they can be a hassle. Worse comes to worst? Leave him alone. He can't push, and is easy enough to knock back from a lane. Don't give him something to defend, and he won't be much of a help.

Given all of these hints, having a team of people who work together, know their characters, and knows how they interact with a good strategy is the most important. I'm no expert, but I have a small group of 10 or so friends that I play with on a semi-regular basis, and even with all the theorycraft, each person knowing their character is the #1 key to success.

Trio

03-05-2010

Just read this thread and found it to seem like a familiar circumstance to myself, though I tend to have a few more wins than losses after a day of playing usually. I play with a few friends regularly as well and usually it tends to be me : ranged character such as ryze, twitch, teemo, or trist, a blitz or sion and and ashe or someone else similar to that. now this could be somewhat compared to your team that you have set up and I would make one suggestion to you:

When people are stuck at their towers defending, try and go around into the jungle with your whole team, and get blitzcrank to grab people from behind the walls in order to 5 on 1 them and put the other team at a disadvantage. Now since your with 3-5 people it will be signicantly easier for you to do such a move where you can gank people like this because you will be able to coordinate such things as taking clairvoyance for seeing where these champions are on the other side of the wall, etc.

Since you are playing premades though my biggest general tips would be: get to learn how your team responds to what kind of situations, and know what they are going to do; it's more important than knowing what your enemies will do because your enemies won't be saving you and most of the time either try to kill you or don't.

EDIT: lol I wasn't finished and accidentally hit post.

Anyway the knowledge of what to do is probably the most important aspect of this game, it's a team game so learn to play as a team and the wins will start rolling in.

Remunial

03-05-2010

Your team looks decent to me. Two amazing initiators in Alistar and Blitz. Corki and Nidalee are amazing. Zilean is really good as well. If I were to change anything it would be taking Zilean out for another stun or a better nuker. Someone like Ryze or Annie.