Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Are certain heroes extremely rune dependent?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

congalong

03-04-2010

I say this because I honeslty have to say, my Shaco and Udyr just seem awful yet I see all these guides saying how awesome they are. The main difference is that I lack the runes of said guides. Shaco guides recommend crit dmg, I have very few T3 crit runes. Udyr guides recommend AS for faster/more efficient jungle, I have none.

So the question is, do certain heroes REALLY depend on runes to do well? I felt like Nidalee was extremely hard to play well until I actually got enough runes to have dodge/ArP/MR. Now I love her.

Thistlemin

03-04-2010

I haven't played much of Ryze, but I would certainly put him in this category. Not that champs cannot be viable if played in the right hands, without runes, but the lowered cooldowns you can gain from Runes will certainly help shell out two waves of his abilities come fight time.

I main Nidalee and have always had luck with her w/runes or without, but having the ones you speak of will certainly vault your stats up a bit all things being equal. The more competitive you play, the more every little edge makes a difference, since the you'll be facing opposition with similar talent as yourself. The difference is very telling when you play against someone with the same champ you're using and you lock horns.

Fbsunny

03-04-2010

I would say the champions that need runes the most are shaco, pirate, and tryndamere. Shaco needs runes to have a good early game, and pirate and tryndamere need crit chance to be able to do anything at all early game.

wildfire393

03-04-2010

Also anyone who jungles is very dependent on runes for a little added survivability, sustainability, and speed.

For most heroes, a cookie-cutter runebook works and simply makes them better. There are very few heroes for which you need something specific. Some examples:

Dodge Runes for Jax
Crit damage for Shaco (but honestly, this is debatable because Armor Pen will raise his damage output by more except at the very first level)
Crit Chance on Tryndamere
Armor on Malphite and Rammus

wissmongler

03-05-2010

Quote:
congalong:
I say this because I honeslty have to say, my Shaco and Udyr just seem awful yet I see all these guides saying how awesome they are. The main difference is that I lack the runes of said guides. Shaco guides recommend crit dmg, I have very few T3 crit runes. Udyr guides recommend AS for faster/more efficient jungle, I have none.

So the question is, do certain heroes REALLY depend on runes to do well? I felt like Nidalee was extremely hard to play well until I actually got enough runes to have dodge/ArP/MR. Now I love her.

yes...people like udry need runes. I have him but without proper runes..its hard to beat anyone especially in top tier games. Generally for casters, u want to twak it for magic penetration and cooldown. allows you to possibly repeat spells over and over..for shaco...not really..maybe crit chance and dmg...but not really if played right

xSJx

03-05-2010

Quote:
Fbsunny:
I would say the champions that need runes the most are shaco, pirate, and tryndamere. Shaco needs runes to have a good early game, and pirate and tryndamere need crit chance to be able to do anything at all early game.

Hmm, I figured armor pen was better for gangplank since parley is physical dmg now.

aliciamonkeys

03-05-2010

jax requires maxx dodge runes.

Voidgolem

03-05-2010

Nobody's dependent. However plenty benefit greatly from specific setups (Most of the mana-less heroes, for example)