Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

[GUIDE] Mordekaiser

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Okay, so Mundo has been probably my favorite character since i started playing in April with a 57-42 ratio with him. But with the new introduced Mordekaiser- I needed a change of pace.

I only have seen 1 guide made and I'd like to add my own personal experience playing him. I'm a lvl 30 summoner with only 90 wins under my belt, but don't please don't assume I'm a noob. I have great knowledge of the game, lane movement, jungling champion abilities and most important TEAM fighting/ engagements.

"feels like a mage than a meele" (a friend said)

I will say this once and for all, MORDEKAISER is A DPS/TANK Hybrid.

He can be built as a tank or a dps'er, but I like to utilize them both to its fullest potential. I build him as a hard hitting dps'in mage that can take meele hits like a tank.

Skills order:
Level 1: Siphon of Destruction (1)
Level 2: Mace of Spades (1)
Level 3: Creeping Death (1)
Level 4: Siphon of Destruction (2)
Level 5: Mace of Spades (2)
Level 6: Children of the Grave (1)
Level 7: Siphon of Destruction (3)
Level 8: Siphon of Destruction (4)
Level 9: Mace of Spades (3)
Level 10: Siphon of Destruction (5)
Level 11: Children of the Grave (2)
Level 12: Creeping Death (2)
Level 13: Creeping Death (3)

***With Siphon Maxed, both mace and creeping death at (3) - alternate according to play-style.***

But I personally do:
Level 14: Mace of Spades (4)
Level 15: Mace of Spades (5)
Level 16: Children of the Grave (3)
Level 17: Creeping Death (4)
Level 18: Creeping Death (5)

Skill Usage:
Mace of Spades: (Benefits from both physical and magic damage items.)
-On next hit, Mordekaiser swings his mace with such force that it echoes out, striking up to 3 additional nearby targets, dealing damage plus bonus damage. If the target is alone, the bonus damage is doubled.

Creeping Death: (Can be cast on yourself too!)
Unleashes a protective cloud of metal shards to surround an ally, increasing their armor and magic resistance and dealing damage per second to enemies in the cloud.

Siphon of Destruction: (Prioritize on champions, including most targets possible.)
Mordekaiser deals damage to enemies in a cone in front of him. For each unit hit, Mordekaiser's shield absorbs energy.

**Other skills increase his shield, but this by far is the best skill to replenish his shield**

Children of the Grave:
(The enslaved soul should NEVER be underestimated.)
Mordekaiser curses an enemy, stealing a percent of their life every second. If the target dies while the spell is active, their soul is enslaved and will follow Mordekaiser for 30 seconds.

Item Build:
1) Rejuvenation Beads + 2-6 x pots => Null-Magic Mantle => Spirit Visage
2) Boots of Speed => Sorcerer's Shoes
3) Giant's Belt => Blasting Wand => Amplifying Tome => Rylai's Scepter
4) Vampiric Scepter => B.F. Sword => Bloodthirster
5) Ruby Crystal => Long Sword => Phage => Giant's Belt => Frozen Mallet
6) Fiendish Codex => Kage's Lucky Pick => Deathfire Grasp

**Items you will start the game with.** -expierenced Mordekaiser players
Alternative: Doran's Shield + 1 health pot. -learning to play Mordekaiser

1) I know what you're thinking: wtf? Rejuvenation Beads? I've found that this and health pots is plenty health for the early game. And it gives you a head start on the key item of Spirit Visage. With Spirit Visage, you get a 12% cool down reduction + health regen. The C/D reduction allows you to spam you spells faster enabling you to keep shield up more. Health regen helps negate the health cost spells cost.

2) Sorcerer's Shoes increases your speed by +2. But more importantly, +20 magic penetration. Mordekaiser's abilities if I am not mistaken is ALL MAGIC, with the exception of Mace of Spades' initial damage (but the bonus damage is indeed magic).

3) Your main goal here is Rylai's Scepter! It slows people 15% on any aeo magic spell and 35% single magic spell. This includes: ALL YOUR SPELLS. The additional hammers coming out of mace of spades, creeping death, siphon of destruction, and even your ULTI dot (damage over time).

4) With Bloodthirster, watch your physical damage increase! So other than auto-attacking, your initial hammer damage from Mace of Spades is affected. From my experience, the mace of spades hit + 3 hammers flying out stole life to fill a good amount of my health-bar back to full.

5) If Rylai's Scepter isn't enough snare for you, pick up a Frozen Mallet. All physical attacks are slowed for 2.5 seconds. And again from my experience, the mace of spades hit + 3 hammers flying out slowed my targets.

6) Deathfire Grasp! Another 15% CD reduction is nice! Plus it does magic damage equal to 30% of their current health (1min item CD) w/ a 200damage minimum.

Summoner Skills: -*remember this is all situational to your own play-style.
My preference: Ignite and Exhaust.
Alternate options: Flash, Sprint, Heal, Teliport. Heck anything but the mana restore one for obvious reasons. (if you don't know, Mordekaiser's abilities uses his health.)

Masteries: 9/21/0
Archaic Knowledge-1

Harden Skin-2
Veteran's Scars-4

For this build, i highly suggest the following: *Use flat stats and not over-time leveling

Red: Magic Penetration
Yellow: Magic Penetration
Blue: CD reduction
Quints: CD reduction

My current build, because I previously built a Mundo page and don't have enough IP points to build the ideal page yet.

Red: Magic Penetration
Yellow: Dodge
Blue: CD reduction
Quints: Dodge

The reasoning behind my runes: magic penetration allows more magic damage done to target. Which then allows your abilities to do MORE damage, but also refill you shield more effectively. CD reduction allows you to utilize your abilties more often, which is KEY to every Mordekaiser player. SHIELD SHIELD SHIELD!!! Keeping your shield up negates harassment, tower damage, heck- all damage to your health bar in general!

Strategy: Always come from experience and situational, but ill give the basics.
Early Game:
Farm your lane, while prioritizing siphon of destruction cone on enemy champions. Meaning aim and hit champions as much as possible without foolishly putting yourself in a position to get killed. If all fails, hit as many minion targets you can to charge your shield. Name of the game, keep your shield up and negate harassment damage.

Mid Game:
Continue to dominate. With summoner spells and abilities to recharge your shield, never back down from a 1v1. 2v1 is very possible situational.... Don't underestimate Mordekaisers full potential, when played right, he is very strong. You aren't a super tank, so don't run in like your god. But as i said you can take melee hits like one, but deal mage dps like a ryze. (not burst dps like a ryze, but u can definitely kill someone!)

Late game:
Do what you do best. Roam smartly, stay as a team. Again if there is another tank on your team, let him engage. If all else fails, you must engage if only one like it. Protect you casters. Make anyone pay penetrating your defense line with DEATH. Learn to utilize all of his abilities and mainly.... Practice and experience is key to success.

I hope this helps anyone trying to use the newly released champion: Mordekaiser. And again everything explained in this guide is my personal preference. Feel free to do what you enjoy with Mordekaiser. This guide is to help you better understand the champion and ways to play him. But at no means is this the MUST PLAY way to Mordekaiser. Enjoy everyone.

P.S. Here is a screen shot of a 51minute game with all items explained + 2k extra gold.

Seriously, you've only seen 1 other Morde guide? There are usually 3 or 4 on the front page alone.

I kind of like him tankier, but I'm intrigued. Can't wait to see what the more experienced Morde players have to say, as I love this champ but his builds are all over the map.

Seriously, you've only seen 1 other Morde guide? There are usually 3 or 4 on the front page alone.

I kind of like him tankier, but I'm intrigued. Can't wait to see what the more experienced Morde players have to say, as I love this champ but his builds are all over the map.

I only pay attention to riot guide posts. Thus only seeing udyrs guide. Most posts are 1/2 assed commented guides. Although i do look forward to more experienced players giving me tips to better my play or even recommend this guide as an alternative way of playing him.

plus- im open to ideas to edit and fix my guide to make it worthy of a riot post =)