Jax. How to build?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Doktordeath

03-05-2010

I basically agree with some Guys before me, but if you use an Hybrid-Build you should get (in my opinion) tabi`s, guinsoos` and sheen in this order, tabi`s and guinsoos`grant massive survivability (in any case now) and burst dmg and the sheen gives you even more burst and mana. In my opinion, you can rule the early game without problems only with tabis+rageblade.

After that, i`d prefer malady, trinity and phantom dancer, the order depends on the eemy team (and their skill...)

Zezaru

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-05-2010

So if I am understanding correctly, I should be going somewhat of a hybrid build that leans on AP instead of AD. Other than the Guinsoo and the Ninja Tabi, are there any "must" items I should get?

sleepydog

03-05-2010

Sheen. after guinsoos + tabi, get sheen. from there, either tri-force for hybrid or lich bane for AP build

Dobry Den

03-05-2010

After you get Nabi + Rageblade, which is the unequivocal core of any Jax build, you're free to adapt the rest of your build to the game.

You can use this moment to get Banshees Veil, which is almost always a good idea.

Bloodrazor against HP stackers.

Bloodthirster is incredible if you don't have to keep refilling it (which doesn't take long at this stage in the game).

I almost always get Atmas Impaler.

The only thing I wouldn't get is +AttackSpeed. Rageblade + Ultimate are enough. Since Jax's passive gives you HP for stacking AP/AD, you're just missing out on the opportunity to utilize that synergy. The only +AttackSpeed I'd get is Last Whisper for its armor penetration. Malady for lifesteal might be tempting, but the Bloodthirster is such a better item because of its +Damage giving you more HP.

Dobry Den

03-05-2010

Totally forgot to mention the obvious. Meja's Soulstealer. Unlike other AP champs where Soulstealer just gives them AP, Soulstealer gives Jax AP and survivability allowing him to snowball even harder as he climbs the stack ladder.

This is my typical, cookiecutter Jax build:
1. Doran's Shield + 1 pot. For solo queue with an unknown lanemate, this is your best bet. The HP regen keeps you resistant to harassment which Jax is rather weak to otherwise in early game. Doran's Ring or Blade can also be decent choices depending on your laning partner.
2. Ninja Tabi (after 850 gold). Without dodge, you don't ever get to use your stun. Attacking champion on top of their creeps ensures that you proc dodges.
3. Meja's Soulstealer. It only costs 1235 gold and you'll want to start it as early as possible. However, if you're getting rolled and you know you wont be holding stacks, it's better to postpone it and go for Rageblade.
3. Rageblade. This is all the attack speed you need combined with your ultimate. You grow surprisingly more and more powerful after each consecutive hit and this, combined with lifesteal, is what will allow you to storm into a teamfight and roll from enemy to enemy. Worthwhile to mention that you also gain stacks from attacking towers which helps you finish the tower off and possess the momentum to faceroll the enemy that was hitting you.
4. I generally start popping potions here while I save up for whatever other item I feel would exploit weaknesses in the enemy. You farm incredibly efficiently at this point. Lifesteal is incredible on Jax, especially when taking down enemies where you just sit there wailing away against their autoattack like Mordekaiser. I mentioned my other favorites in my previous post.

If you aren't doing this with Jax, especially if you were using something underwhelming like an attack speed build, you'll be pleasantly surprised at how much more lethal you are once you start acquiring Soulstealer and Rageblade stacks.

BlackCat9001

03-05-2010

My build may differ from other's, but I build Jax straight AP.

I do a 9/0/21 build, with Ghost and Flash/Teleport (depends on who I'm playing with). If I'm solo queuing, I do Flash. If you're playing with people who are good, get them to lay down a ward when you are about to gank so that you can teleport to it and appear out of no where to kill them (or a Teemo mushroom, Shaco JITB etc).

I start with an Amplifying tome and an HP potion. Depending on how the game goes, I either rush a Rylai's Crystal Scepter or a Soulstealer. If you're getting a good amount of kills/assists and not dying in the early laning stage, get a Soulstealer. Gank with someone who has some CC and get more fed. After a soulstealer, I grab the Ninja Tabi. Then Rylai's.

So, in short, here are my two item builds-

Getting kills-

Soulstealer
Ninja Tabi
Rylai's Crystal Scepter

Zhonya's Ring

OR

Nashor's Tooth

^Depends on how your money is doing. Get the other one after you buy one of those.

If the game isn't really in my favor, I get items somewhat like this-

Amp. Tome to start with.
On your next trip, grab some normal boots and a blasting wand.
On your next trip, get the giant's belt and finish your Ninja Tabi.
After that, finish the Scepter.
Then get Nashor's Tooth.
Then Zhonya's.

The Soulstealer is basically useless if both teams are going back and fourth with ganking, but getting it is a judgment you'll have to make.

By this time the game is usually pretty much over. When I've been fully fed, I've had a bit over 600 AP and ~4500 HP. You'll be a beast!

Rylai's is pretty much integral. With this build, you are pretty much an initiator. You have a ton of HP and a great initiating move. If you empower your weapon and then leap into a group, you will slow them all. Then you can stun them all, and after the stun they are all slowed!

As for abilities, I prioritize leap due to the cooldown's reduction. It's just simply too good to not level up to max first. At level 9, your leap will have an insanely short cooldown and you will dominate the mid game because of that. I also level the ult whenever it can be leveled. I get one rank of empower at level 2 (for leap and empower combo early ganks), and then I max the stun. Empower is very good to use, but the extra damage added per level just doesn't really cut it compared to the stun. It's the AP added on the attack that makes it count, and you get that from items.

Runes don't seem to matter that much, at least to me. I'm pretty casual, but I like to consider myself good. I have an incomplete crit chance rune sheet, and that works out for most champs that I use. It's whatever. It's fun when your ult crits on attack, it hits INSANELY hard when you build Jax AP.