Jax. How to build?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zezaru

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-04-2010

I have just recently bought Jax and have currently only tried AD builds and not AP, is being an AD Jax better than being an AP Jax or is there something I am missing? As an AD Jax, I've noticed I have not been getting many kills, but rather assists (Which is fine too) and just want to improve. In the past, I have seen some AD Jax's dominate but I just cant, Anyone got any good item builds for Jax?

Much appreciated

Coldmetal

03-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezaru View Post
I have just recently bought Jax and have currently only tried AD builds and not AP, is being an AD Jax better than being an AP Jax or is there something I am missing? As an AD Jax, I've noticed I have not been getting many kills, but rather assists (Which is fine too) and just want to improve. In the past, I have seen some AD Jax's dominate but I just cant, Anyone got any good item builds for Jax?

Much appreciated

AP Jax currently has a lot more burst damage than AD Jax due to AP working extremely well with empower, however, if the test realm patch notes go live for Jax. DPS will soon be pretty **** close to as viable as AP, with more HP. As for going pure DPS, I would say that you should really go hybrid DPS if you wanted to go that way, as for AP Jax... there's plenty of builds floating around since it's kinda the flavor of the month type thing with the amount of damage jax is able to push out with a few hundred AP behind him.

http://www.leaguecraft.com/champion/Jax

There's plenty of guides there along with around here there's a few thread about AP Jax. You won't find too many DPS related Jax guides other than the one I've made and a few small others.

Pwnacus Maximus

03-05-2010

As coldmetal says, both AP and AD Jax builds are viable, and AP Jax has more burst, while AD Jax is for more sustained DPS and a bit more survivability due to getting more HP from DMG than from AP.
EDIT: you can also check out my guide on leaguecraft, it's an AD build.
http://www.leaguecraft.com/strategies/guide/1233

MattM3ister

03-05-2010

with jax i always go bottom lane for pink, or top lane for blue. because the grass coming from mid lane is closest to your tower allowing for best ganks as they pass it. i always start with darans shield and a health pot then i move to ninja tabi starting with the armour. after that i go phage because of its slow chance, health and small damage bonus. then phantom dancer for its move speed and dodge bonuses, they work a treat. he ends up with 441 move speed and with ghost and the mastery for it they simply cant escape. also great for tower diving. after phantom i go malady and then bloodthirster or cleaver whichever u prefer. but the 30% lifesteal with his attack speed and damage almost make him unkillable. you can then jungle with blood thirster or take a solo lane while ur team is ganking to get its bonus attack damage and life steal. after that i would upgrade to frozen mallet or another damage item like infinity or cleaver depending on who is on the other team. for his skills i used to go (before they nerfed him as far as im concerned) i went

leap
empower
leap
empower
counter
assault
leap
empower
leap
empower
assault
leap
empower
counter
counter
counter
counter

getting leap asap is good for chases with stuff all cooldown. i pretty much never lost with him like this unless my team was a heap of autistic kids seizuring on their keyboards. which sadly isnt too rare. my runes were all teir 3 alacrity but quint's were hp/5sec that with dorans is great for early game. this build may work but it wont be as effective anymore because they decided to go and screw his empower. and his new passive. but it still does work you just need to find the right strategy for it. oh and masteries were full defense ones, they work great and the rest were utility.

hope this helps

Pwnacus Maximus

03-05-2010

sorry but your item build kinda fails without guinsoo's, which is mandatory on jax. also you should definately take one point of counter strike at level two, so you don't die after getting first blood.

EDIT: They nerfed jax? the last two changes on him have been a welcome buff and a net buff(considering the worth of the things that changed on him) so what in the world are you talking about?

Voidgolem

03-05-2010

They're cutting the passive down a little (like, 1 hp per point). Empower's being changed slightly.

Next patch, at least.

MattM3ister

03-05-2010

trust me, maybe its just the strategy ive developed. i often pwned lvl 25+ and they asked what sort of runes i had and what lvl i was, i hadnt discovered how runes worked till i was lvl 15 so i had none until then. i've played upwards of 80 games with him. i suppose it wasnt so much a nerf, his passive is very handy i would sacrifice what it does for 15% extra attack damage on dmg items but its hard to modify a build that with my ways i had perfected to accomodate for his new empower and passive. but his empower changed him exponentially. you can barely do any damage later game with it to make it the least bit of a worry to the enemy team.

Schway

03-05-2010

Doran's Blade
Ninja Tabi
Guinsoo's
Bloodthirster
Bloodthirster
Bloodthirster

Or if you don't like stacking items, atma's and banshee's veil in place of 2 thirsters. Sell the dorans for whatever item fits your situation if the game really isn't over by then or you just have mad money.

Also, I agree with Pwnacus; Jax received a significant buff rather than a nerf. He's basically OP now.

Hyfe

03-05-2010

Whoever said Jax got nerfed needs to uninstall. He just received a massive buff. And if you just learned what runes are you probably don't need to be giving advice on forums and telling people to trust you because you're good.

Severla

03-05-2010

Maybe, just maybe, the guy saying Jax's nerf was speaking about when they originally nerfed him to his "omg unplayable!" state?

Personally speaking, at the current time, Jax is over-viable with either build. Just get as much AP/AD as you can, get Guinsoo's, and make sure you have Dodge in the high numbers before you even get boots. He's pretty unstoppable if there are a lot of physical dmg dealers (and now even casters too).