Any tips with Kassadin?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dahras

03-05-2010

TBH you can either go semi-tank or glass canon with Kass, it just depends on you're play style.

When you play semi-tank you do a bit of sustained damage and when people run away you seal the deal through a combination of blink, silence, and slow w/ light mana drain.

When you play Kassadin, you jump into team fights, take out one squishy and run. Often time you can divide the enemy team too, getting some to follow you (if you're not in a high tier game that is).

Both styles are viable, although the glass canon makes farming (champions) easier, and the tank-ish build is a bit easier to play. I personally run a 1/2 and 1/2 build with an early RoA followed by a DFG/Void Staff/Abyssal Scepter. Almost universally, Kass builds take Catalyst early anyways, so why not build it into something useful?

The second RoA seems a bit like overkill to me though... if you buy it at like minute 30, it will never build up to its full potential (and therefore it is an inefficient item). For the same cost, you could buy Rylai's, which is like a maxed out RoA w/o mana that adds a slow to void sphere and riftwalk (which is actually pretty good for chasing, ganking, etc).

RHINO Mk II

03-05-2010

I will never forgive people who assert that flash>clarity on kassadin. Unless you get slain regularly before level 6 (in which case you shouldn't be playing at all, or at least not kassadin) Clarity is essentially a flash, and can also be used to get enough mana to kill someone who's running. I cannot count the times that I have been chasing someone, rifted into range with my last mana, then used a clarity/null to finish them off. Although this build requires some spending in cooldown reduction along the line, I simply find flash to be redundant on kassadin. Also, cleanse will save your life. At least once per game. A stunned kassadin is a kassadin who isn't rifting. And a kassadin who isn't rifting is dead.

EroticBadass

03-05-2010

clarity is good for stacking riftwalks.

Oh and dont forget that riftwalk is wasting more and more mp the more you use it before the stacks end. You can add stacks when traveling and do heavy damage if you time it right, but at the cost of a considerable amount of mana.

Anyways I start with dorans ring then roa with mejias. That's all he really needs. Next is some magic pen, which one depends on how much magic resist is being used for me, and then either zhonyas or lich blade. You have to be moving blinking around when your null sphere is on cd and in team fights dont forget to constantly throw out force pulse.

Guardian Angel is really really good on Kass I almost always get it as my 6th item ^_^

another tip to know is that you have to know who to throw your null sphere to, its usually the other mage, but sometimes its awesome on shaco and tryn.

Grovel

03-05-2010

Saw this thread and it inspired me to play Kass in a number of games tonight. He's one of those champs I always see do well when he shows up in Champ select, but nobody gives him much credit (kind of like old-Jax).

I gotta say, as a Flash junkie it was hard to let it go and pick up Clarity, but you're dead on. I need mana way more often than I need to flash more than twice in a 4 second period.

It's true what they say though, this guy lives and dies by his early game, or else he's pretty stale until very late. I'm on the fence with Mejai's, it just seems like Kass is more of an assist guy than a cold blooded carry. Even in games where I feel like my team and I are crushing it's hard to get killing blows, to build stacks. Maybe I'm being too explosive in my rotation, and should wait to pick off champs, but unloading a ton of purple goo on a group at the start of a fight feels so right.

Riftwalk seems to do a lot less damage then I remember, but maybe I'm not building it up enough, as I've been using it more to build charges on Force Pulse and movement in and out of a battle than damage.

I'm torn with what to do After RoA and Sorc Boots. I'm a big fan of Frozen Heart on other champs, but Rylai's has always been an item I want to use but can never fit it in. Feels like you'd get more bang + survival from Rylai's over Heart.

Leaning toward this:

1.Sapphire +2hp
2.Catalyst
3.Boots 1
4.RoA
5.Sorc Boots
6.Mejai's (only if this are going amazing)
6.Rylai's (Gaint's Belt if I'm feeling Fragile, otherwise Blasting Wand)
7.Abyssal Scepter
8.Void Scepter Maybe? (most people have Banshee's around this time)

Is that too tanky? Seems like it's hard to find the right balance of damage vs. Survival on Kass, but it's probably very much a playstyle thing.

RHINO Mk II

03-05-2010

Only difference between our builds is that you take Rylai's instead of Glacial. I find the 20% cooldown and 500 mana and a bit of armor add just as much survivability as 500 health. You don't really need the slow because of your ungodly chasing abilities. I also get Mejais more often than not. I start building Zhonyas after my Abyssal, but it usually doesnt get finished.

RHINO Mk II

03-05-2010

Oh, and just for all you sneaky barstuds out there:

1) Take teleport summoner spell.
2) Riftwalk 10 times in your fountain when you see an enemy pushing against your creep waves.
3) Teleport to one of your creeps, hopefully just within riftwalk range of the enemy.
4) Rift, null, force. He should be dead by now. (At level 16, this should be doing around 1800 damage before your AP or their resistance.)
5) He was a tank... rift into him again. Now he's dead.

Kelin

03-06-2010

Kassadin actually requires a lot skill to use, hence the inability for many pepole to play him. First of all, he is an assassin, if there is nothing to assassin you are screwed, you need your team. (nothing new here, a tank needs his team to dps, a dpser needs his team to tank and you need your team to bring enough distraction/damage so you can kill potential dangerous heroes off).

Current mejai is epic on kassadin, your rift walk keeps you alive from many situation and you ap ratio's are epic (0.7).

Cookie cutter build:

Catalyst
boots
Mejai
Upgraded boots (sorcerers)
Rod Of Ages
Void staff/zhonya (all those kind of ap items)

Fill mejai, own.

Few hints: Don't attempt to be cool before six, you are gimped till then. You have 2 spells for damage, forget about rift walk damage the mana / damage is ******ed. Use it as damage when oppurtinity rise but don't expect it to be damage. Nice tricks, building up rifts in health fountain, it rarely works. It's as cool as ashe arrow + teleport but nothing useful and usually risk/reward is not worth it.

Gain AP, that's the trick really. Ps. Sheen/lichbane look like a cool optionm, but reality teaches that you have no the time or tankability to get that close to heroes, you can be satisfied if you drop your force pulse + null sphere and get out after.

If you have troubles getting those first kills: AP/level is actually good on this hero. AP/lvl on yellow/blue/quents + magic penetration on red makes you a danger from start on. Some mejai stacks and you win a game.