Upcoming Jax changes and thoughts

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Degini

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-04-2010

From the test realm notes:

Jax
Lowered Equipment Mastery health bonus to 4 HP per damage and 2 HP per ability power.
Empower base damage decreased to 40/60/80/100/120 from 45/65/85/105/125.
Empower now gains 20% of both attack power and ability power as bonus damage.

The equipment mastery nerf was expected, but I am most concerned with the new buff to empower. Seems to me that this will make the base damage nerf irrelevant, and indeed, result in a net buff to Jax.

Further, it seems that this would assure the use of a guinsoo no matter the build.

Assuming 1 guinsoo (35 +45 = 80) x 20% = 16 extra damage. Practically an additional rank on empower with 1 item alone.

Thoughts? Thoughts on multiple guinsoo's?

AutoSponge

03-04-2010

I think Empower was given the buff to encourage hybrid builds. Empower for DPS Jax was a wasted skill, he could usually do more damage by NOT casting it. AP Jax didn't get to apply his AP, but still used it because he couldn't do more damage with auto-attack.

Under this system, AP Jax gets to apply some AP to the skill and therefore gets a boost. DPS Jax also gets to apply a portion of AD to the skill. Hybrid Jax gets to apply both and as such has the most to gain but hast the lower burst damage overall. It may be possible he balances out to have the same burst as DPS and AP with this buff (at a high level) but he's still generally weaker.

The more important note: AP was 3/5ths of AD for HP gain. Now, it's 1/2. It used to be a tome +20 AP and +60 HP was a good buy compared to Longsword +10 AD +50 HP. Now it's +20 AP and +40 HP versus +10 AD and +40 HP.

gun fu panda

03-04-2010

Sword of the Occult/Guinsoo's/Tabi/Nashor's/Atma's -> win