Haunting Guise on Mordekaiser

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IceDive

03-04-2010

What do you guys think about it? I am experimenting with the following build:

Spirit Visage
Mercury's
Frozen Mallet
Haunting Guise
FoN/thornmail
Rylai's

Why Haunting Guise?
- HP regen
- Magic pen
- CDR

al great for Morde, and it's a cheap item, so easy to get. Both magic penetration and CDR are the best ways to get his DPS up, since he does not scale very well with IP... (downside is obv the mp5)

Anybody else gets it for him, or is this a ****py idea?

Kwazi

Recruiter

03-04-2010

go brutalizer-visage instead

Fbsunny

03-04-2010

I have yet to try getting it for him, however I do like getting sorcerer's shoes on him so even though you waste some on magic regen this might not be a bad idea.

Arghanos

03-04-2010

Morde farms so well, and spirit is already excessively cheap. IF you did end up getting the guise, I should be an item you eventually sell off and replace with something better. If you're doing that, why not just start building your mallet, FoN, or even thornmail if you want something on the cheaper end.

The small bonuses the guise give can be replaced with runes IMO - if that was the issue (like CR, Mpen). Save your 6 item slots for things you will keep and will contribute to endgame - especially with someone that farms like Morde. If you aren't making $$ with him - adjust play style a bit.

Krangbot

03-04-2010

Agreed, i think the guise is not needed and can be replaced with Magic pen runes, with all reds you get 12 Mpen, which is enough imho. The cd is not enough since the cd's on his abilities are already so low you won't get much out of it. The guise will put you behind getting your phage which he DESPERATELY needs to get as early as possible right after at least one hp/regen item.

Khranz

03-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwazi View Post
go brutalizer-visage instead
Same cost as Haunting Guise, far less effective. Brutalizer only make's Morde's auto-attacks hit harder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krangbot View Post
Agreed, i think the guise is not needed and can be replaced with Magic pen runes, with all reds you get 12 Mpen, which is enough imho. The cd is not enough since the cd's on his abilities are already so low you won't get much out of it. The guise will put you behind getting your phage which he DESPERATELY needs to get as early as possible right after at least one hp/regen item.
Silly argument. 32 Mpen > 12 Mpen, and more CDR translates DIRECTLY into more damage output. So what is Morde has low cooldowns... MAKE THE SHORTER. The faster he can use his abilities the more damage he does and the higher he keeps his shield. Between Quints, SV, a Soul Shroud typically on someone else on my team, and maybe one other CDR item, I always try to get my CDR maxed. If you want more damage output on Morde, CDR + Magic pen is the way to go. Damage only affects auto-attack + Q, AP scales like ****... CDR and Magic Pen affect ALL his abilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arghanos View Post
Morde farms so well, and spirit is already excessively cheap. IF you did end up getting the guise, I should be an item you eventually sell off and replace with something better. If you're doing that, why not just start building your mallet, FoN, or even thornmail if you want something on the cheaper end.

The small bonuses the guise give can be replaced with runes IMO - if that was the issue (like CR, Mpen). Save your 6 item slots for things you will keep and will contribute to endgame - especially with someone that farms like Morde. If you aren't making $$ with him - adjust play style a bit.
Not all games last 40+ minutes. Haunting Guise should be a mid-game buy after Spirit Visage, Boots and Rylai's/Frozen Mallet to help you roflpwn team fights. By the time you're ready to buy it, you should have somewhat of an idea of how long the fight will last. If you see it being long and brutal, maybe some resists would be better to build towards. If it's looking short, Guise for ability spam and pushing power.

Krangbot

03-04-2010

If you truly must have Mpen, get Mpen runes and Sorce Boots. I am a big beleiver in not wasting money on items that have stats that do not affect your champion whatsoever, such as mana regen considering you have no mana pool.

Also, considering that Morde's cooldowns are already very low numbers, the little bit of cd reduction on the guise will only reduce your CD's by an incredibly tiny tiny fraction of seconds. If his CD's were much larger than some cd reduction would actually cause a much bigger difference in your actual CD's, simple math.

it just an opinion, but if you want to see significant upgrades to your character, I would skip the guise and go for a Mallet, some defensive item depending on opposition lineup (visage or hp/regen + AC mail, forgot the name) and Sorce boots along with Mpen runes. Then work on more dmg items once youre a somewhat tankier slowing beast.

Fbsunny

03-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krangbot View Post
If you truly must have Mpen, get Mpen runes and Sorce Boots. I am a big beleiver in not wasting money on items that have stats that do not affect your champion whatsoever, such as mana regen considering you have no mana pool.

Also, considering that Morde's cooldowns are already very low numbers, the little bit of cd reduction on the guise will only reduce your CD's by an incredibly tiny tiny fraction of seconds. If his CD's were much larger than some cd reduction would actually cause a much bigger difference in your actual CD's, simple math.

it just an opinion, but if you want to see significant upgrades to your character, I would skip the guise and go for a Mallet, some defensive item depending on opposition lineup (visage or hp/regen + AC mail, forgot the name) and Sorce boots along with Mpen runes. Then work on more dmg items once youre a somewhat tankier slowing beast.
Actually if you neglect reaction times (which if you play somewhat often and use the hotkeys are negligible), 40% CDR means you do 66% more damage no matter how long short your cooldowns are(suprised you don't understand the "simple math"). And if your cooldowns are short and you have 40% CDR it could easily make it so that your next spell is or is not castable before you die/your enemy gets away, were as if you have long cooldowns and 40% CDR it is quite possible you are not even in a fight during the time your spells are of CD making the CDR worthless.

Also, if you had read his post you would see that he already has FM and spirit visage by the time he gets haunting guise. Also flat penetration scales better the more of it you have as long as you're not wasting it on an enemy you would have already fully penetrated (lol, i know).

Arghanos

03-04-2010

Quote:
Not all games last 40+ minutes.
You're right, many games will end before 40 minutes. I guess if you knew that before starting the game, you could modify the items you are buying. That would go for any character/build. If that is what you propose, I may be on board - but even then I would still think it through.

Quote:
Haunting Guise should be a mid-game buy after Spirit Visage, Boots and Rylai's/Frozen Mallet to help you roflpwn team fights.
Lots of items would be out of the question if we knew the game would end under 40 minutes, so exactly when are you getting these items?

If you consider guise mid-game, and it supposedly comes AFTER Spirit Visage, Boots, and Rylais'/Frozen Mallet, then do you get those 3-4 items early game? Something is wrong with that picture. If you already have the mentioned items, start building some heavy items and prepare to fight- and if the game is almost over- then yea buy whatever the hell you want. Any character can do that right before a round ends...

You can easily achieve 35-40% CR with runes and masteries if thats what you mean when you say roflpwn (not including golem), as I have proposed tin a modification to Skyllus' build posted on leaguecraft. No need to purchase the haunting guise.

Just my opinion of course.

Mosesofmind

03-04-2010

I tried out a magic pen build on Morde the other day getting

Magic Pen Runes
15%mag pen mastery
Haunting Guise
Sorc. Shoes
Rylai's
Abyssal Scepter

by the end he was reducing most opponents to or below 0 MR. It worked pretty well, but honestly if you're going a skill/AP based build I think stacking AP with a Lichbane hits harder.