Masteries for lowbies

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aramathia

03-04-2010

i am seeing this more last few days. Other team out levels the lowbies because they haven't selected the right masteries. Hint, this game is all about who levels the fastest, first, who makes the most gold, second, who can kill who first, third. Tip, over in the green section on your summoner masteries you will find xp bonus for champion and gold per 10 second bonus. Get them. More often than not, I out level the enemies and allies in my lane because i took these. Getting to level 6 first makes a big difference in a lot of characters since they can now use their ultimates while their enemies are still crunching through level 5. Even if you spend the points here, you will still have 21 points to put into offense so you can get that 5% ap and physical damage bonus. IMO the defense table is rather useless. The amount of defense is very small and might make it so you can take maybe one more hit, at best. Kill faster > utils > live longer.

Voidgolem

03-04-2010

I generally roll with defense. Living longer than the opponent's still a win.

Grovel

03-04-2010

People out level their opponents because they're better harassers, stay in their lane longer, have map awareness, and farm neutrals.

I agree, that 5% is helpful, and points in the Utility tree are a great option for newer players, but it's not going to make or break your game if your fundamentals aren't there.

Hands down, the biggest mistake I see is people getting overly aggressive pre-level 6, try to force a first blood/kill, and either have to pill after an unsuccessful gank or get killed themselves. They keep this mentality going even though they're now a level or two behind and it spirals down from there. Either that or they don't know when they're getting outlaned and just play defensively close to their tower.

Vijaya

03-04-2010

Greed gives you 150 gold in 25 minutes. Why would you waste a mastery point on that?

Slide

03-04-2010

Greed is a terrible mastery unless your playing a teribad farmer or know your games last a **** long time.

Aside from that, its my advice to lowbies that they first put 6 points into the defensive tree. 6 armor and magic resist early game turns into a decent amount of mitigation. Youd be suprised how much of a difference it can make.

Further into the defensive tree we have 2 other VERY good masteries for lowbies. Reduced physical damage and reduced damage from creeps. A lot of new players and lowbies alike misjudge how much damage the creep wave will do to them when they attack a champion. Taking these 2 masteries actually makes a VERY large difference in the overall damage a creep wave will do to you.

Of course Veterans Scars (+60 HP) and Tenacity (4% damage reduction) are also great. Getting all of them makes you pretty **** strong defensively at level 1. If you give up first blood a lot, Id start going with Def masteries. Offense and utility are for when your skills are good enough to keep you alive and you want extra oomph to help get those kills.

Aramathia

03-05-2010

Can't say I agree with the defensives. If you are giving up first blood a lot, stop being an idiot and going into the grass where the big bad meanees are at and hang at the tower till the minions roll in. You can also do things like pick up dorian's shield etc etc to increase your hp and armor. They're cheap so you can sell them off later with out a big loss in gear requisition.

Snowballing

03-05-2010

9/0/21 for max cooldown reduction and the magic penetration seems to be a standard, solid mastery build for most casters.

0/21/9 or 9/21/0 are both solid as well for just about everyone.

21 in offensive is rather odd. Casters don't really benefit much from the lower tiers, and a lot of points are more or less wasted because other than the crit damage and havoc, the lower tiers are pretty terrible (+1 damage...)

Slide

03-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramathia View Post
Can't say I agree with the defensives. If you are giving up first blood a lot, stop being an idiot and going into the grass where the big bad meanees are at and hang at the tower till the minions roll in. You can also do things like pick up dorian's shield etc etc to increase your hp and armor. They're cheap so you can sell them off later with out a big loss in gear requisition.
That has nothing to do with Masteries.

Regardless of what you spec, if you play like an idiot you will die.

If you dont play like an idiot, but still die early, those masteries can let you escape with a sliver of life.

I tried to reply in the context of your original post.

I could have just as easily told you that, regardless of what you do, your suggestion of EXP quints is fail. It does not work as well as you think. The ONLY time that strat has ever worked is fully stacking a team with bonus XP and having Zilean and then 5 man roaming gank squad so you all share the XP and get your boost.

Now that XP works differently and you cant just farm enemy heroes for masses of XP, this strat doesnt work.

Aside from that strat, at best your going to have 30 seconds of being one level higher. Basically untill the next wave gets there and they kill it.

The only real use for XP quints is as a win more effect. If you are a solo ganker, it can give you some of the XP you miss out on now by killing lower level enemy champions.

It certainly in no way will help you stop dying. It wont let you outlevel your oponents by any significant amount and you would be better served spending your points elsewhere.

Lastly, I can use your own argument agianst your initial post. If your being outleveled by your oponents stop being an idiot and going into bushes, getting killed and spending your time running back from fountain instead of being near creeps dying. You can also start off with items like dorans shield which makes you last longer in a lane, hence making you lose less XP.

90% of the time, being outleveled is a product of 3 things:

You spent to much time away from your lane.

You have been killed too much.

Your oponent has gotten a lead by killing your teammates.

The 5% experience mastery is NOT going to help in ANY of those situations.

The best thing you can do if your being outleveled is stay in your lane longer. Be sent back less/die less. Defensive masteries will help with this. EXP wont.

EnderA

03-05-2010

The most important masteries are the Summoner Skill buffs. Some of the others suck, the rest of them are all about the same. It largely depends on the situation, and sometimes going a certain tree is more important than getting a Skill upgrade.

Most newbies should be taking Heal and something else for survival until they get a handle on the game, and what their opponents can do. I agree that the defensive tree is great for newbies. Basically, at first just try to not die/feed while still getting XP/gold. Then try to help your team. Then you can finally focus on killing.

Voidgolem

03-05-2010

I, personally, skip summoner spell masteries. If only because I like being able to swap 'em around pre-match.

Granted, I still roll with ignite/cleanse 75% of the time, but it's being able to swap that counts >.>