Looking for advice on amumu -.-

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SmecssRaege

03-04-2010

Hey all

So ive put in about 600+ games of lol (between beta/launch, about 300ish in both)

And i have NO idea what to do with amumu nowadays.

To me, he feels INFERIOR to my main tank Malphite *in almost* every way.

Malphite is the better initiator (Charge > Bandage in reliability by a LONG shot)
Malphite is the better laner in a lot of ways
-HP buffer passive that helps a huge amount
-Ranged harass ability that can lead into more harassing via. Slow
-AoE spell on a lowish cooldown with decent damage
-An ulti thats AMAZING at lvl 6 combined with a spike of ground slam > seismic > melee hits (being that its a 1.5 second stun vs. amumus SNARE)
-Makes a better tank via passive + Ground slam to stop physical DPS's and enough burst DPS to scare casters away (if not out right kill them)

The only qualitys i find amumu being better at:
-Ulti lasts 2.5 seconds instead of 1.5 (but at that time, you can be getting nuked to death anyways...) on a much bigger range. (This allows a better synergy with a FEW select heros that malphite doesnt otherwise neccesarily offer)
-His "defensive" items that make him a "wannabe" tank, do offer up to adding a fairly large amount of damage in a nice AoE later on down the road.
(My usual mumu build: Regrowth > Merc Boots/Boots 3> Sunfire x2 > Abyssal > Force of Nature) < very open to suggestions there
-His passive debuff is pretty nice. With an abyssal scepter its even nicer. (-60 mr for your casters)

So, im looking for any advice on how people survive the early game SUCKFEST that amumu has to offer with his weak damage moves (despair is maeh at low level and drains way too much mana, and tantrum is HORRIBLE at low levels with low damage and a massive cooldown)

Skill builds, item builds, summoner skills, im open to every piece of advice at this point.

**I USED TO MAIN AMUMU IN BETA....so i know that its simply either the game has changed beyond his reach or that he has been nerfed WAY too hard....my opinion is more towards the latter of the 2 options **

Thanks in advance~~

King 0f Swords

03-04-2010

I agree with you. I actually play malphite as my main, I have 150 games on him. Amumu feels like a toddler version of malphite, he has no lane presence, no intimidation factor, weak abilities, a janky skill shot.

I think the main difference between mine and your item build is the sunfire capes. I can't stand that item. It's like 1700 for the core items roughly?(educated guessing) and 1000 gold for the 40 damage a second aura? No thank you, 1000 gold is not worth 40 magic damage a second, especially since if you go into a practice game and notice in reality vs almost no MR enemy champs it is only doing about 25-27. That barely even negates regen at the point in the game in which you can afford it. Anyway, that's just my opinion on that item.

I prefer banshees veil for a lot of reasons. It has that visual intimidation factor amumu desperately needs with people not wanting to waste precious abilities on bring your veil down. It also has 400hp/350mp and 58 magic resist? Great item imo. Even if they have someone that can take the veil down it still has more survivability for its price. Also, almost every single hero in this game does magic damage to an extent, it usually is a no brainer item that works against 90% of teams. And for the other sunfire cape i'd rather have an aegis, atleast amumu can bring some utility to the team with those items and his ult can be a game changer if used with good team coordination.

I do agree for the most part though, amumu is just inferior to almost every tank. Alistar, Taric, Malphite, etc. Anyway, don't expect miracles with amumu unless your team is ready to play with him properly.

SmecssRaege

03-04-2010

lol the item build you described is exactly how i play malphite xD

and yeah, so im not the only one with those feelings at least >_>

Xender

03-04-2010

i recently picked up amumu and i think I like him the most out of the tanks ive tried

i tried rammus for 1 game and hated him
malphite for 1 game, he was good but hes more burst dmg and i feel like i cant do much after i use those abilities.
chogath- sucks to die and feels like you need to farm a lot to get his items

malphite is a better tank but amumu is more support and damage over time. amumu is great to snare the enemy team so ur teammates can cast aoe ults. I juts feel like im doing more as amumu

i usually go:
regrowth pendant
philo stone to help with gold and give me mana regen, if u dont like this u can get a chalice instead which gives magic resist as well
merc treads for magic resist and the obvious 50%
sunfire cape
negatron cloak
2nd sunfire cape
then build an abyss sceptor
my games usually end here but incase they dont then get a rylai
then finally a GA

these items will get u good health, armor, and magic resist...

Fbsunny

03-04-2010

Amumu is my second most played champion, and he is the only tank I play.

My item build is the following.
Meki pendant->chalice (i don't get how people can play amumu with 0 mana regen)
boots 1
Sunfire Cape
Boots-> Merc treads
Sunfire Cape #2
Abyssal Scepter
Depends on game

This item build is similar to yours and others posted, but i feel chalice is very important on Amumu for early MR and the mana regen needed to be able to actually use despair some.

For summoner spells i go Clarity/Heal. You might think i'm a noob for getting heal but Amumu is literally the only champion I use it on. It helps me get 1v1 kills or kills on enemies who try to tower dive 3/5 games by level 6. Clarity is important because even with Chalice you will still run out of mana using despair and there is nothing more annoying then an enemy getting away with 50hp and bandage toss is off CD but you have no mana.

This build is not very good until you get at least 1 sunfire cape, you really don't do much other then your AoE snare. Once you do get both sunfire capes and abyssal scepter you are doing 80-100 AoE dps from those alone, a tantrum every second, 4% of your enemies health per second, and a nice snare to keep all your enemies close to your AoE damage. He is not burst AoE like Annie or Ryze but it can be some of the best sustained AoE damage in the game, and if your enemies do not focus you they will pay for it with the lives of all of the squishies on their team.

draftomatic

03-04-2010

I used to love Moomoo but I stopped playing him. Malph is better.

I would get a Chalice then Sunfires and Abyssal. Not much more you can do.

Summoner Rokutaa

03-04-2010

I love amumu.
I used the guide and he works great for me...
what I do:
I use bandages to harass.
once I get my ult I can start ganking(just bandage toss then use all of your other abilities[type wer]) just make sure you have somebody to help you if their health is pretty full...
he has troubles getting away w/o flash...but he pretty much owns 1on1.

I like amumu but not as much as I like teemo...
they are both oh so adorable!

Bustardo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-04-2010

Not to derail as I was thinking of Trying mumu for the first time, but I tried Malph instead.

What guide do you guys use, or what build do you use?
I'm doing something like:

Melki's -> Boots 1 -> Chalice -> Wardens Armor -> Ninja boots -> Then usually a BF sword for DMG. No idea what I'm doign with him yet though, any advice?

I was thinking of trying mumu so I wanna see what you guys use and how easy he is to build up.

SmecssRaege

03-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustardo View Post
Not to derail as I was thinking of Trying mumu for the first time, but I tried Malph instead.

What guide do you guys use, or what build do you use?
I'm doing something like:

Melki's -> Boots 1 -> Chalice -> Wardens Armor -> Ninja boots -> Then usually a BF sword for DMG. No idea what I'm doign with him yet though, any advice?

I was thinking of trying mumu so I wanna see what you guys use and how easy he is to build up.
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?p=172109

thats my own guide on malphite, and still how i play

use the *alternate item build* i never use my old item build anymore (as the game is much more dominated by spells and casters than it was in beta)

BACK ON TOPIC:

the other problem i have with amumu's usual items
(chalice > merc > sunfire x2 > abyssals > rylais)

is that you have NO health regen, which really hurts for laning and what not =/

So ive tried instead going FoN after abyssals:

Regrowth pendant
Boots 1
Giants belt
Merc Boots
Sunfire 1
Sunfire 2
Abyssal
FoN (for run speed and MR and some nice hp regen since u have like 3k hp here)

but that didnt work all that well for me either

PS: i have 28mp5 @ 18 from runes and the 5mp5 utility mastery, so i can get away with no mana regen quite easily :-)

Phi Trigger

03-04-2010

The first thing you need to remember when comparing malphite to amumu is that they are actually rather different in roles.

Malphite is a much more "in your face" character. Very aggressive and doesn't mind putting himself straight into harms way and still come out ahead.

Amumu is more of a sit back and gank/defend hero. You need to have a tower or some sort of surprise element on your side, and definitely need a full team of 5 to take full advantage of his abilities - which puts his best times at end game, where ganking and defending bases are most prevalent.

So before anything you need to decide if amumu is your game style. If it is, you also need to make a team that fits with him. Amumu is much more team dependent, as he is at his best with a full team. Heros that are good with amumu include nunu, fiddle, twitch, karthas, corki, blitz, nasus, morgana, veigar, gangplank. The common thread here being that all have some sort of AOE ability that benefits heavily from everyone being clustered together in a 5 player team fight.

I would not recommend amumu for solo queue, if you want to win. Not only do solo queues have much less teamwork, but the hero synergy is less likely to be there. Malphite is much stronger here.

Now onward, there are two significant problems with amumu's buildup. One is that he has an excessively low base damage. This problem means that last hitting is difficult, which means farming the important items for him early on, when it matters most, is going to be troublesome.

The second significant problem with amumu's buildup is that he has no real ranged threat. His bandaid skill is only effective when there are no creeps between, which is pretty much never in the case that you are trying to farm creeps. You have to put yourself out to the outside to get any chance of bandaiding in, and in that case any skilled player will just rotate around the creeps and prevent the usage of your skill. This makes amumu even more of a passive character, and really he is just the ***** of any ranged characcter. This is a significant problem. It means that HP regen becomes even more important, as he can be assaulted relentlessly and there isn't much he can do about it, unless he wants to sacrifice gold income (a horrible option). Laning with a strong ranged character can help him a bit with the farming, and is preferred over lots of regen as it allows amumu to spend his initial money on damage, which he needs for last hitting.

My solution to his problems is first investing points into offensive masteries that enhance damage to creeps and equiping damage runes. It's really the only solution to his abysmal ability to last hit. Some points into armor and HP regeneration with the leftover are also a good bet.

For first items, if you can get away with a longsword that's a nice bet. I usually turn the longsword into an eventual triforce. While amumu's low damage doesn't make the best use of the triforce as some other heros do, every stat it gives is great on him for a tight 1 slot package, and with tantrum he can generally spawn the bonus damage frequently. Otherwise, it has to be regen. I usually just get pots, because they are faster regen than a pendant, and there aren't any items that I want to build up to with a pendant.

For items, I like triforce as mentioned previously. Lichbane would normally be better for an AP type hero, but the stats of triforce and the fact that it uses a longsword give triforce the go in my book. Rylai's is superb as a second main item. Amumu is great with hitpoints and AP. The slow special is meh, but nothing that isn't welcome as an additional chase ability slowing with tantrum after a bandaid in. A sunfire cape is decent, but by no means a necessity. It actually depends on if you need survivability or not, as AP is better for AOE damage output than the cape's special for an item slot taken. Abyssal scepter is superb on him, as it gives the magic resist that is the only form of damage that can get past amumu's ult, and the spell boosting is nice as well. Sorcerer's shoes are a definite go. Banshee's veil, nice. Zhonya's ring, great as a last or second last item.

For summoner abilities, flash is a no brainer. It's what allows you to set up his ultimate. The other ability is more flexible, but although I haven't used it yet, teleport might be a good idea. That would allow you to transport back to base and quickly get back into the action, as he is very likely to need a transport back for hitpoints even with regeneration, before level 6. I personally take exhaust, just because it's all around a great summoner skill, but it really has no particular synergy with amumu so I can see any number of other skills being just fine and dandy.