Junglesticks post patch mini-guide

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pearlsea

04-26-2011

Unlike pre-patch, you can't jungle on Fiddlesticks in a full mage build anymore. I refused to start using smite, so after some minor trial and error I discovered something that works well and I'd like to share. You will end the first jungle path with enough HP and mana to gank if you follow this guide.

Spells:
Ignite + ghost OR flash

Runes:
Flat magic penetration marks
Flat defense seals
Flat CDR glyphs
Flat HP quints

Masteries:
10/10/10
http://leaguecraft.com/masteries/100...03140002000000

Offense - Improved ignite and regular mage masteries. Ignite is superior to smite because the 10 AP from improved ignite will far outweigh the 170 damage difference, and will improve your damage which increases your healing..
Defense - Some flexibility here, but you need some defense to survive the golem.
Utility - Improved HP/mana restoration, faster experiance, and longer neutral buffs. Good stuff!

Starting item:
Amplifying Tome + HP potion

The first run though the jungle:
You will start at blue golem, do the usual watching of the bushes. The best benefit I feel that ignite gives over smite is it will significantly reduce people's suspicions of you jungling but always be careful.

Engage the blue golem with ignite. Let him hit you ONCE and then hit your potion then cast Drain. Keep casting Drain until you kill it. Once the golem is dead continue to Drain as needed and eventually get your first point in Dark Wind. Drain will remain your main damage ability, only use Dark Wind if you are comfortable with your mana and attacking multiple targets. It is a waste on a single minion and does not bounce.

The rest of the first run is the usual path. Blue Golem > Wolfs > Wraiths > Lizard > Double Golem. As you level up get Dark Wind at level 2, Rank 2 of drain at 3, and Rank 1 of Terrify at 4.

At the end of the run through you have to decide what you want to do. The best outcome is you have a viable gank and you get a kill. What you want to come back to base with is enough gold to get Boots of Speed and Hextech Revolver. The Revolver will build off your starting tome, will make your drains heal for a good amount more, and you can eventually build into a Will of the Ancients to support your team. After that it's up to you to decide what you want to build.

If you got any feedback let me know.

xSJx

04-26-2011

Jungling without smite is horrible, I didn't bother to read the rest.

Epic Dancing Guy

04-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlsea View Post
. I refused to start using smite,
Don't jungle then.

The second they realize you're not in your lane say goodbye to that blue buff(If they're not stupid). Hell, even a teammate will steal it(I have a friend who does that).

Lets Go Home

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-26-2011

Stopped caring at refusing to use smite. You obviously have no idea how to jungle.

KillerStriker

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-26-2011

What the f--- guys!!? One of the big advantages of Fiddle is that he hasn't needed smite to be an effective jungler.

Saying "oh, they'll realize you're not in lane" is dumb. Yes, they'll realize that: 2:30 into the game; after you've gotten blue buff. Jesus Christ, people, is this Little Baby Idiot day on the forums?!?!?

Jungling with Fiddle is now much tougher now than in the previous patch. Even with Vetran's Scars, and Doran's Ring, I could only barely survive Golem with flat AP glyphs, quints, and magic pen marks. Maybe they're a way to do it without sacrificing any magic capability, but without a friend, you're in a little trouble trying to jungle with him now.

Even with 2 ranks in drain, I can not heal faster than Dragon can damage me, which is kind of frustrating. I think giving Fiddle only a % heal is kind of dumb, but understandable.

ErgonomicAxe

04-26-2011

Fiddlesticks could always jungle without smite, and it was always a bad idea. Fiddlesticks' issue in the jungle isn't health, it's SPEED. He needs to be done by 4:30 and ganking immediately, or he isn't strong enough. Plus smite helps you ensure steals on dragon and baron.

Ez0 Prush

04-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlsea View Post
The best benefit I feel that ignite gives over smite is it will significantly reduce people's suspicions of you jungling but always be careful.
I actually laughed at this. If I'm a jungler, and see your team does not have one (or no one has smite), I don't start on my side. Especially with WW or Nunu. So umm...if I find you there, guess what I'm taking and letting you waste pots, mana and health for? Oh, a free kill too? Probably.

BrotherCaine

04-26-2011

I have to reiterate the other people's disdane for jungling without smite. I used to jungle without smite with trundle.... but I was never providing the 3:80-4:30 gank. You also fall behind in levels where as with smite you can keep pace (sometimes even beat) your own mid's level early game; eventually the lanes will pull ahead as you do map jobs like warding, dragon and laying in wait for ganks.

Pearlsea

04-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerStriker View Post
What the f--- guys!!? One of the big advantages of Fiddle is that he hasn't needed smite to be an effective jungler.
Which is exactly the point I was making. You can still do it without smite. It takes some precision to kill golem at level one now instead of spamming drain like a baddie. Sorry if doing something differently disturbs people.

You guys need to remember, Improved Ignite gives 10 AP when off cooldown. That's 25 more damage per drain, and 12.5 healed. It adds up and makes you more efficient in the jungle. You will get your 170 damage worth

Sorry about the low resolution but here is proof of me efficiently jungling with ignite instead of smite. I'd do a custom game with a better recording but there is server problems ATM. I come out of the jungle at level 4 ready to gank. Start watching at 5 minutes in. I finish both my kills at ~5:00 game time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y2zHDjKkNU

I Ult You Die

04-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSJx View Post
Jungling without smite is horrible, I didn't bother to read the rest.

Yep basically this. I don't care how good your rune/mastery build is. If you're jungling without Smite,

YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerStriker View Post
Let me break it down for you morons. Taking Smite isn't about needing it. It's about clearing faster and safer for earlier ganks, not getting your buffs stolen, and ensuring dragon and baron for your team.

I realize that at your low ELO, jungling without Smite may be viable. However, when you run up against a semi-competent enemy jungler who took Smite, he will come steal your buffs. And Fiddlesticks without blue buff cannot jungle. Realize that if Nunu decides to run up and Consume your blue at level 1 because you didn't take Smite, you are completely fvcked. You can't stop him from doing it in any way whatsoever, and you can't even kill him since you only have level 1 Drain. You are now completely out of mana and will be unable to complete a sustained jungle route. Your only option is to heal and then go to lane, and you are now massively behind on XP and gold. Using Smite to last hit prevents your buffs from being stolen and is the only way to jungle reliably. This same scenario can occur in late game while trying to take baron and dragon; the jungler needs to have Smite to last hit them. If not, the enemy jungler can easily steal them out from under you, and their single death will be completely worth it for the global gold.