Building a Lifesteal Jax

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Razdan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-04-2010

Well I figured it's about that time where I want to get input on the spec I'm trying to get to work. Now you can tell me AP is better but honestly with Jax it's just not my style, I don't enjoy it. I'm trying to build a spec with Jax that will allow you with high attack speed, high life steal, and average or higher damage. It's so satisfying to start hitting a hero and gain life faster then he can damage you.

Go to the bottom of this post for other post references.

Now don't expect this to be a guide, your welcome to use it yourself to test it out, but honestly right now I want to get the best build possible for this style of play, if you've got any input that could improve it by all means please, do tell.

At the moment I've specced 18/9/0 , not 30 yet sadly. I go down to lethality in Offensive and down to Nimbleness in Defensive.

As for runes:
Marks: I've been getting Arm. pen. and Damage, and a few crit runes.
Seals: Dodge, no question
Glyphs: Magic resist, Jax's main weakness, and if I couldn't get enough an attack speed or two.
Quintessence: At the moment I'm rocking an evasion and an attack speed.

Summoner Spells:
At the moment I'm using Exhaust which is always nice for Jax, whether attacking, being attacked, or saving a teammate. And the other is teleport which is nice to just port out buy some stuff and immediately resume your place in lane.

In game skill rank up:
I'll usually go something along the lines of:
1. Leap Strike
2. Counter Strike
3. Counter Strike
4. Leap Strike
5. Counter Strike
6. Relentless Assault
7. Empower
8. Counter Strike
9. Counter Strike (Maxed)
10. Leap Strike
11. Relentless Assault
12. Leap Strike
13. Leap Strike(Maxed)
14. Empower
15. Empower
16. Relentless Assault (Maxed? I think that's the level for last ult rank.)
17. Empower
18. Empower

Leap strike is good early on for harassing, but then I start getting Counter for more survivability, I'll grab the empower rank 1 just to have in combat.

As for item's I've been buying in order:
1. Vampiric Scepter ->Emblem of Valour-> Stark's Fervor ( Solid attack speed and lifesteal, what's not to like, plus you buff your allies quite nicely, and you can jungle and kill the dragon easily)

2. Berserker's Greaves (Need your boots, and some more attack speed)

3. Zeal-> 5. (This is to begin setting up to build Phantom Dancers, it's a solid stat increase till that time comes)

4. Bloodthirster (When you reach end game without some form of damage you'll notice you can hit them all you want and it doesn't seem to get you enough life, this'll make the difference. The one thing I'm not sure of what the "per kill" applies to, hero kills? minion kills? I'm not sure since there is no buff or easy sign your getting the increases.

5. 3. -> Phantom Dancers ( This'll get you the attack speed boost neccesary to start hitting fast enough to out heal their damage. Plus it comes along with some other fancy buffs, like dodge, never complain about getting dodge as Jax)

6. Guinsoo's Rageblade (Always a great item for Jax since it continues to stack while his own Ult stacks.)

7. Up to you, get a slow weapon, more damage, I haven't really decided on a solid item for that last slot.

I don't worry to much about getting slow items, every now and then I'll run and get the red slow buff from the lizards.

At this point I usually end up kicking ass, one time I even beat an Nasus with his Ult on and a Scion 2v1 and I started with half health. I've got some odd things I'm not sure about, one was my last game i think my attack speed hit 2.5/sec. Is that a cap for attack speed? Because I didn't know there was one. The only tough thing I've found about this spec is you need to be careful early on to mid game since if you die too much you lose a lot of money and time to build the rest of the items.

Now this is a work in progress, I'd love to hear anyone else's input. And don't bother complaining Ability power is better, because honestly I don't care, if you wished to speak about how it's better why'd you hop in a lifesteal thread? Well I'd appreciate any comments, you can't build an amazing spec without the input of others. =D

Update March 4th: Alright update, just tried another game and I bought:

1. Mercury Treads
2. Emblem of Valour
3. Guinsoo
4. Stark's
5. Bloodthirster
6. And at this point I was going to buy an infinite edge but we won the match.

Those items actually helped quite a lot more then before, Of course I only got the treads because I had a team of casters and stunners. If the situation is all melee by all means grab ninja tabi instead. The uptake in a fight could be hard if jumping straight into a 5 person fight but I found the damage was a lot higher earlier and in turn life steal as well. This is the one I'd reccomend right now but I'm going to test some more, going to try replacing starks with malady and see how it compares.

Coldmetal

03-04-2010

You're going to need more damage than what you're trying to put out, especially in this build involving massive AS and Life steal. Sadly phantom dancers is such a waste of an item now for Jax, especially with sword of the divine basically canceling his dodge completely for 5 seconds while he gets blown up. If you're going for attack speed there's plenty other items. For this kind of build you'd basically try and be ridiculous and grab multiple bloodthirsters, but it's such an expensive item and in reality it'd be a dps build. Another thing, depending on life steal is horrible. If you can never hit your target you won't be getting that precious HP back. Plenty of heroes snare or carry exhaust or blind. Cleanse would be an absolute must with this type of build and even then it may not work entirely. Basically, life steal is a horrible way of staying alive.

Leveling counterstrike early on is also a waste due to the return on it per level. You get a mere 2% additional dodge and 20 more damage per rank. Both jump and empower have their cool downs lowered while offering more damage, CD reduction > 2% more dodge.

Attack speed cap is 2.5 and dodge starts getting really tough to stack around 46% since there's harsh penalties behind such where the return isn't so great.

Go straight DPS or hybrid DPS tbh. I also feel the same way about AP.

Razdan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-04-2010

Thanks for the input metal, I understand what you mean by relying on life steal, I'm trying to not say rely on it but rely on common sense as a player on when it's a good situation or one to run from, it's not like life steal will save you 5v1. So I can see ditching the Phantom dancers considering there's a cap. At that point I'd say your idea of a 2nd bloodthirster is good yet expensive idea. I'd say for an order now maybe something along the lines of

1. Stark's
2. Berserk greaves
3. Bloodthirster
4. Guinsoo
5. Bloodthirster

As for skill order I'll try messing with it a bit later today, I'll try what i used to do in grabbing leap a lot earlier, 2 ranks of counter, and grab rank 1 empower at 5. I'll give cleanse a shot as well, I forgot it cures you of stuns which could help in tight situations like being ult'd by a Warwick. Keep the criticism coming, we'll show those AP Jax's what's what.

NothingTooFancy

03-04-2010

Phantom dancer is definitely not worth it. Also, Ninja tabi are too cheap to pass up. Since your ditching phantom, you need the dodge anyway. The 25% attack speed from beserkers just isnt that important. With malady and guinsoo's you'll be attack fast enough. In my opinion you should get:

boots 3x health pots
ninja tabi
guinsoos
malady
bloodthirster
infinity edge

and the last spot is open for adaptation (ie banshees veil against ryze). You could also alternate somethings for AP but since your going life steal you need the AD.

For skills, I start with counterstrike to get that extra 10% dodge and stun. Then I max leapstrike while alternating with empower. Once leapstrike is maxed i usually alternate empower and counterstrike. Leveling these leap and empower loweres their cooldown, increases damange, and decreases mana cost. All you get from leveling counterstrike is 2% dodge and a 20 damage.

PhoenixBomb

03-04-2010

As others have said, take out zeal/PD and move your Rageblade up before your BT. Don't finish Starks until you have your Rageblade because you need the HP provided by Rageblade to function well coming into mid-game. Zerker boots are subjective to the opposing team, but I will agree that if you're going to build an attack speed item besides Rageblade that you probably don't need them. Stick to merc treads or Tabi.

And yeah, don't leave empower until last. This will be especially true when next patch rolls around and Empower scales with AD. You're gonna want that.

NothingTooFancy

03-04-2010

Hey Phoenix, I noticed that empower will gain 20% from AP and AD... Wasn't the old ratio 1:1 on AP? So is this actually a buff or a nerf?

Thoughts?

Razdan

03-04-2010

Alright update, just tried another game and I bought:

1. Mercury Treads
2. Emblem of Valour
3. Guinsoo
4. Stark's
5. Bloodthirster
6. And at this point I was going to buy an infinite edge but we won the match.

Those items actually helped quite a lot more then before, Of course I only got the treads because I had a team of casters and stunners. If the situation is all melee by all means grab ninja tabi instead. The uptake in a fight could be hard if jumping straight into a 5 person fight but I found the damage was a lot higher earlier and in turn life steal as well. This is the one I'd reccomend right now but I'm going to test some more, going to try replacing starks with malady and see how it compares.

SeriousDeal

03-04-2010

i rlly think lifesteal isnt the way to go for jax
why? becouse of his passive ability in gainin hp from dmg n to build the jax as its ment to be

u need to build it to have enough speed so u can reach the cap ( 2.5 ) with ur ulti rest should go to AD AP. this will make u hit hard n also have good hp - like 3k + np ( n u rlly need that couse jax can go down rlly fast if focused )

the way i play it is :
vamp scepter>malady
phage
last whisper
phage>trinity
rageblade
some boots depending on ggame ... if u get slowers disablers get appropiate for that if not then berserks or even move spd 3 if ur on fire
some w/e item to get more AD AP

can get boots sooner im just usually gettin em late since theres things to get first in my opinion ohh n no need for ninja tabi couse i think default dodge rate + dodge runes is fine...u get dodge up while counterstrike is CD anyways

jax is trully god of 1v1 melees...everytime some melee actually tries to 1v1 me mid./late game i just cant resist a good laugh. unbeatable