[GUIDE] Going Legendary as Ryze

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Edyll

03-03-2010

Hi

Masteries
9/0/21 - down to Archaic Knowledge, make sure to get +% EXP and mana regen

Runes
Red - Spell Pen
Blue - Cooldowns, or if you like: AP, Magic Resist, Mana regen, or something else
Yellow - Mana Regen/18 or if you like Armor, Health, Dodge
Quint - Spell Pen, EXP bonus, move speed, flat health, gold/10 - whatever

Summoner Spells
Ignite (D)
Flash (F)

Skills
-----
1. E (Spell Flux)
2. W (Rune Prison)
3. Q (Overload)
4. W
5. Q
6. R (Desperate Power)
7. W
8. Q
9. W
10. Q
11. R
12. W
13. Q
14. E
15. Q
16. R
17. E
18. E

I don't remember my exact skill build. It doesn't matter tooooo much. Get one level of spell flux for MR reduction and harassing. Level up Rune Prison and Overload for damage. Ultimate rocks too.

Items
1. Doran's Ring (leave in slot 1)
2. Health Potion (put in slot 3 because its easy to hit the 3 hotkey)
3. Mejai's Soulstealer
4. Deathfire Grasp (put in slot 4 to hotkey)
5. Lich Bane
6. Archangel's Staff
7. Abyssal Scepter (in place of Health Potion)
8. Zhonaya's Ring (in place of Doran's Ring)

Don't follow this exactly past Deathfire. Lich bane is good but so are the other 4 late game items.

How to get kills
Once you're higher level, start with overload (5s cooldown), R to boost, W to Snare, E to damage. Overload is at 1s left and the opponent has lowered MR. Drop Ignite if necessary, then Deathfire Grasp and finish with a second overload. The damage is unbelievable.

Strategy
Early game go mid. If you don't get mid you're going to be terribly weak and fail miserably. Ryze depends on being a few levels higher than his targets so he can kill them in a splitsecond. Harass non-stop with spell-flux. Your mana regen runes and masteries and Doran's ring are enough to keep you spamming.

Once you get level 5 or so, kill the other person mid. WDEQAFEQ - Rune Prison, Ignite, Spell Flux, Overload, attack, if necessary flash, attack, Overload, Spell Flux.

Go buy a Mejai's and get level 6.

Mid Game (6-10) Find someone who is extended, QRWEQD and profit. If people are always together, coordinate a gank with your teammates. In a team fight, R owns everybody. You'll have like 12 stacks already, and if you don't then you're getting outplayed and you'd lose no matter what you did.

Later Game Buy Deathfire Grasp. Now, even tanks die like squishies. You have a new combo now. QRW4DEQ. Again, owning everything you see.

End Game Now you have Lich Bane. You could go solo turrets and end it, but you probably want more kills (I aim for 20 or so every game). Your combo remains the same except make sure you're also attacking for like 800 damage a hit.

-------

Seriously don't use this build if you're playing against a team that has amazing teamwork and CC, because you'll be too squishy with no escape mechanism. The goal is to completely and totally destroy people before they know what hit them, thats what Ryze does. All you do is launch your load at the enemy and they either die or don't die, but either way you withdraw immediately because bad stuff happens if you stick around as Ryze. I mean seriously, you probably won't 1-hit everyone, especially once they start stacking MR, but thats why you bring teammates. If you run around alone all the time then you're going to lose games no matter what guide you use.

WasabiCannon

03-03-2010

I think many people are going to have to disagree with your build.
Sure it has the great AP and damage but it has no survivability.

Fbsunny

03-03-2010

Why would you focus on leveling up overload and then not get any mana items for so long.

I go sapphire crystal-> tear
then boots
then mejai's
then w/e

gun fu panda

03-04-2010

You should change the title of this guide to: "[GUIDE] Going Legendary Against Terrible Players as Ryze". If you use this build against a half competent team, you'll be lucky to break even on K/D. Most likely, you'll spend 4/5 of every team fight staring at your death timer after you get gibbed.

BlindBanshee

03-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edyll View Post
Hi

I don't remember my exact skill build. It doesn't matter tooooo much. Get one level of spell flux for MR reduction and harassing. Level up Rune Prison and Overload for damage. Ultimate rocks too.
That's an absolutely terrible idea.

Edyll

03-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindBanshee View Post
That's an absolutely terrible idea.
This is an absolutely terrible reply.

I'm not sure what skills you like to have, but I wrote what works for me. If you want to criticize my guide, at least do so appropriately like the other players who have replied did. I welcome constructive feedback, but please don't bash my ideas without providing me a sliver of your endless wisdom which you apparently keep reserved for yourself.

There are a lot of reasons for not leveling Spell Flux first. Levels increase the mana cost without substantially increasing damage or reducing cooldown. Leveling Overload reduces cooldown significantly, and at level 5, you can easily shoot two Overloads during one gank. Leveling Rune Prison helps, especially if the opponent has Merc Treads, because it holds them long enough for you to get off a second overload.

gun fu panda

03-04-2010

Quote:
This is an absolutely terrible reply.

I'm not sure what skills you like to have, but I wrote what works for me. If you want to criticize my guide, at least do so appropriately like the other players who have replied did. I welcome constructive feedback, but please don't bash my ideas without providing me a sliver of your endless wisdom which you apparently keep reserved for yourself.

There are a lot of reasons for not leveling Spell Flux first. Levels increase the mana cost without substantially increasing damage or reducing cooldown. Leveling Overload reduces cooldown significantly, and at level 5, you can easily shoot two Overloads during one gank. Leveling Rune Prison helps, especially if the opponent has Merc Treads, because it holds them long enough for you to get off a second overload.
New ranks of Ryze's spells don't decrease the cooldowns, iirc. Leveling up overload before spell flux is fine, since the damage scaling is better, but your reason is wrong.

Edyll

03-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun fu panda View Post
New ranks of Ryze's spells don't decrease the cooldowns, iirc. Leveling up overload before spell flux is fine, since the damage scaling is better, but your reason is wrong.
No, Overload does reduce in cooldown, something like one second per level.

Devious21

03-04-2010

Quote:

How to get kills
Once you're higher level, start with overload (5s cooldown), R to boost, W to Snare, E to damage. Overload is at 1s left and the opponent has lowered MR. Drop Ignite if necessary, then Deathfire Grasp and finish with a second overload. The damage is unbelievable.
Unless I'm wrong (and if I am excuse my ignorance), Deathfire Grasp does 1/3 of the enemy's current hp in damage. If so, then using that ability second to last is really a terrible idea.

anaverageasian

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

03-04-2010

your items aren't too bad, but the order in which your skills are used are a little whacked out. also, the idea that you would need to get ignite and deathfire seems like overkill. there are very few people i can't kill without needing to get both of those. if i come across one of those, i just don't take them on at full health. that's when i might keep deathfire, and get flash and teleport for survivability and mobility.

this build seems to assume that you're playing against random ****py players. a lot of champions, with a little skill, could really destroy this ryze.

there are no boots. i'd personally get rid of the abyssal scepter and get some boots, be they sorc's or mv3. ryze is slow as balls, and frankly, you're not going to be able to get to any fighting, and unless your opponents really don't know what they're doing, you aren't just gonna walk up to them and kill them, you need to be at least a little crafty about it. without some survivability, you at least to be able to run away when they come looking to gank you.

might i recommend, skipping the doran's, and if you're using some scaling mana regen runes, you can just get a sapphire crystal, to work toward your teardrop, increasing your overkill damage and setting you up to complete and archangel after getting a mejai's, boots, and i usually grab a lich bane, which at end game ends up being an extra 500+ damage.