Suggest a Tank-Help your Team

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ultimatnoob

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

03-03-2010

I mostly played with Teemo, Shaco, and Kassadin, and love the way (the last 2 at least) and pop in and pop a squishy in nothing flat, but recently I have been ending up on teams full of squishies who dont have a tank, and while they usually do good in the beginning, in the end we get rolled.

I usually play either solo, or with 1-2 friends, and I want someone who can best help my team win.

So, who would you suggest get as a tank. Which champion would you most like to see someone on your team have?

lIlsilvylIl

03-03-2010

I personally would love to see Alister on the team because of his pulverize, headbutt, and heal skill. He has a good ult for taking hits like godzilla.

Or I would like to see Cho on the team. Maybe in your case since you like to "pop in, pop out" you should try to get your hands on blitzcrank.

Ultimatnoob

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

03-03-2010

I've thought about those two. I like the look of them both, and I have seen really nasty Blitz's before. Is he really a tank though, I've heard people say he isn't, but I've heard a lot of **** that's not true in game and on these forums before. He's also **** expensive, but I would for out the IP if he's worth it.

Any other thoughts?

ManOfTheRushHour

03-03-2010

Alistar gets my vote. Only problem is I usually play him nowadays if I want a better chance of winning, but I only queue with my gf so it's kinda 50/50 any way..otherwise I got bored with him since he's my most played..

Ultimatnoob

Recruiter

03-03-2010

How about Mord or Sion? Both of those look good too, and I can try em next week. I have heard varying reports about Mord being a tank though. Some say he's not, and others have said he's an awesome tank.

spreadfred

03-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatnoob View Post
I've thought about those two. I like the look of them both, and I have seen really nasty Blitz's before. Is he really a tank though, I've heard people say he isn't, but I've heard a lot of **** that's not true in game and on these forums before. He's also **** expensive, but I would for out the IP if he's worth it.

Any other thoughts?
Blitz is a tank if you build him as a tank (i usu get MR/AR, no triforce, when im tanking as blitz)

@ OP, if you want a tank who can jump in and out, go amumu w/ flash (bandage toss in, flash out at the last second)

PhoenixBomb

03-03-2010

When soloing/rolling with an incomplete pre-made, the roles of tanking and initiating are largely left unfilfilled, so you should definitely pick one who can do both. With that in mind, here is how I would rank tanks that can initiate...

1.) Alistar/Malphite/Amumu - Alistar needs flash to be able to initiate effectively, but his ult basically ensures his ability to survive. Need to hold off on using it immediately so that people will actually TRY to hit you, though. His headbut is excellent, provided it's used correctly. Malphite will be able to initiate better and more often, but is one of the less tanky tanks. Still, I find it easier to get kills as Malphite, and the difference in gear can make up for his shortcomings. He has probably the best burst damage of any tank in full tanking gear (even with only partially investing into armor). Amumu is somewhere in the middle as far as reliability in being able to initiate, tankyness, and damage.

2.) Singed/Rammus - These are tanks that rely on running (not flashing/appearing) into the fray to then ultimately displace/disable the enemy's carry. They are both fairly tanky and can dish out a solid amount of damage under the right circumstances. I would rank Rammus as slightly higher than Singed, but only if the enemy team is relatively low on Cleanses. They fall short of the first group because teams that see them coming can take measures to stop them in their tracks.

3.)Blitzcrank - Probably about as (potentially) tanky as Malphite and can't really initiate so much as he can make it a 5v4. Still, he's VERY good at this (subjective to who's playing him). He can arguably get fed the quickest of any tank, depending on how his laning phase goes. With a very ganky team and/or a very creative player behind him, he can cause a ton of havoc, but is typically less reliable than other tanks.

4.)Mord/Muno/Cho/Sion - These guys come in last due to their lack of CC or ability to attract attention (in tanking gear). Mord has respectable damage as a tank, but has serious CC issues. Mundo is only slightly better than him in this repsect and is arguably less tanky (barring his ult and a lack of EC's). Cho's Rupture is a poor man's initiator, and unless he sacrifices some tank, he won't be doing much past nomming. His silence is nice, but it won't let you initiate. Sion, in tanking gear, doesn't do a whole lot of damage, and his stun is better for catching someone unawares than starting a team fight. Incidentally, all of these characters make excellent off-tanks to help suppliment a better main tank, since all of them have high damage potential while still being tank-ish.

Live4evil

03-03-2010

Sion is like an auxiliary tank he is there if you need him he also has his great 2 second stun but he isn't the best tank

He is a good tank for solo queues as Alistar and Amumu probably need lots of teamwork to get the best use of them

Joru

03-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatnoob View Post

Any other thoughts?
The thing about Blitzcrank is that he's a really good initiator, but doesn't technically need tank gear to be able to initiate. I mean, if you're Malphite and try to Unstoppable Force into the enemy without tanking gear, you're just going to die to whoever wasn't stunned before your team even gets there, and that doesn't help anybody. Rocket Grab is pretty safe to use with or without high durability. So, with that being the case, people often find it more efficient to have somebody else be the main tank and let Blitzcrank do his initiation job while building for DPS.

But still, he's got an initiation move, he's got a minor disable in Power Fist...if you put tanking gear on him, he will do all the things that a tank needs to get done, and probably better than the lower-tier tanks at that. If nobody else on your team is going to pick their own tank, then none of them are going to complain that you're doing it with Blitzcrank.

Hogun

03-03-2010

I wouldn't call Blitzcrank a tank. He can be built that way, but he's a not a tank in the traditional run-into-all-the-enemies-and-soak-CC way. He's good at taking down towers and initiating with his grab.

Alistar, Malphite, and Rammus are generally considered to be the best tanks right now.