[ITEM GUIDE] Mordekaiser: the Invincible Iron Man

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Snazzy Pants

03-03-2010

*Small note: this is an alternate account for me; if you doubt my experience with Mordekaiser, feel free to look up my main: Herborist.*

Mordekaiser: the Invincible Iron Man!

What makes me a good tank? IF I WASN'T A GOOD TANK, I WOULDN'T BE SITTIN HERE TALKIN TO YA!

Mordekaiser's strength lies in his passive: 20% of the damage he does with skills is converted into a shield! A few key facts about the shield:

1. It prevents all damage
  2. You can still become poisoned, but the DoT effect will damage your shield before you.
  3. The shield decays by 2% every second.
  4. The maximum "HP" of your shield goes up as you level. Currently, the max is 600.
Why is this such a useful passive?

All of your skills have relatively low cool downs, and can all hit more than one target (even mace of spades). That means that you can recharge your shield quite quickly, especially around minions. That's the best tip I can give anyone: try to situate fights around minions. You can let rip all of your skills and finish anyone off 1v1 if there are minions around.

The only weakness Mordekaiser has is his relatively low starting HP, but this is easily remedied. So, without forever ado, here's the item guide:

• boots of swiftness
  • warmog's armor
  • thornmail
  • frozen mallet / warmog's armor
  • warmog's armor / frozen mallet
  • atma's impaler

As you can see, I focus heavily on stacking HP. Your shield will take a lot of damage (especially since you'll be recharging it mid-battle just by using skills), but it's not infinite and you're not invulnerable. The more health you can have, the more you can "tank", and the more useful you'll be.

Some of you may wonder, "But Snazzy, how will I do any kind of damage?!"

Simple! Your health IS your source of damage! Despite subpar AP scaling, your skills can still do a lot of damage, but what really puts you over the top is your shield: your DPS may be worse than your opponent, but you'll far outlive them. A battle of attrition where you're in a gigantic suit of armor, and they're a fleshy spider-eyed weirdo with a rinky dink sword.

Early game

Early on, you will be rather weak. You'll want to stay back early on and use creeping death on the leading melee minion to get money and keep a good amount of shield up. I recommend getting one point of every skill, and then maxing creepnig death, siphon of destruction, and mace of spades (in that order); you'll want to get your ultimate whenever available.

My first item is usually a giant's belt; the extra health allows you to charge in more often. Just pop creeping death on yourself, use siphon of destruction (preferably on a group of minions and an enemy champion, but just 3+ minions will suffice), and take out the entire wave. Mordekaiser is one of the best, if not the best, farming champion in the game. I can take down entire waves in a matter of seconds even early on.

Be careful about spamming your skills - they all cost health, and some of them aren't cheap. A full shield bar doesn't mean anything if you're HP is really low. Better safe than sorry.

Mid game

This is when you'll start to really shine. You should have boots of swiftness and a warmog's by level 11 ~ 13 (possibly earlier), turning you into a roaming hurricane of steel. Use creeping death on the lead melee minion, and try to gank another lane. Try and it time it so that a death is ensured. You're strong, but you can't stun or otherwise stop them from escaping, so don't just randomly pop out of the bushes.

It's completely normal if you haven't gotten any kills yet. You should easily be able to overpower enemy minion waves and slowly be chipping away at the enemy tower. Don't be afraid to stay and finish off the tower even if enemy minions come - in fact, if enemy minion comes you can use them to recharge your shield and keep you going.

In general, keep farming and getting early kills. Often times people will underestimate you and try to take you on 2v1. Unless they're both hardcore dps champions that have proven themselves to be quite skilled, you can take them. You may not get some kills, but at least you should stay alive, thereby defending your tower and letting them know that you're a force to be dealt with.

Late game

By this time you should have at least finished your thornmail. After that, you can either go for a frozen mallet if you're doing well, or go for a warmog's if you're floundering. The extra HP will really put you over the top.

As the tank that you are, spearhead all team fights. Stay toward the front and take on the minions; try and bait enemy players into going after you and ignoring team mates. If you're playing against a team with champions who can stun (like Morgana, Ryze, Taric, etc.) try and get them to stun you. If you do it right, you should've been at full shield, which means that you'll survive the initial assault and come back with a vengeance.

About your ultimate: This is one of the most powerful skills in the game. In many team fights I'd be outnumbered 3v1 and I still won because I managed to kill just one of my opponents, use my ult right before they died, and clobber the other two (because it instantly became a 2v2). Use the ghost to scout ahead, tank towers, and follow people runners at low health. The ghost has more HP than the original, and it has all of the passives, so a Twitch ghost will poison, a Jax ghost will do more every three hits, etc.

The most important thing to remember is that Mordekaiser's ultimate is not a source of damage! Unless they're already almost dead and you're just finishing them off (it has a really nice range, bigger than his other skills), save it for someone that you know will die.

Some final notes

• Minions are mobile shield recharges for you. You can brush off entire waves as if they were nothing, and if you run across enemy minions while at low health (and possibly running from champions), you can use siphon of destruction to quickly recharge your shield and keep you alive.
  • Don't underestimate mace of spades. The overall damage you deal to a single target (especially if a mob is around) may not be great, but you have to remember that you get 20% of the damage it deals to each target. You can recharge your shield very quickly just by using it on a group of minions or even one champion.
  • Resist the urge to get sheen. Mace of spades is not your main attack, and you won't be using it anywhere near often enough to justify that expense.

EasymodeX

03-03-2010

I would recommend you re-evaluate your build based on the following:

1. Mord's passive is directly boosted by damage mitigation stats (armor, mres, dodge).

2. Pure HP is asking for a Mandred's up the ass.

3. Doubly so if you have no mres to counter Mandred damage.

4. Other conditions and situations where you need higher levels of mres and other anti-caster/cc items (like Merc Treads).

Based on those I would recommend you split your build up into "core items" (that make Mord work), and "optional/situational" items where you mix and match depending on game conditions.

Also, as a minor tangent, you don't explain the "why" of Thornmail, as opposed to other armor items, such as Sunfire Capes, Warden's Mail, Aegis of the Legion, etc.

Snazzy Pants

03-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasymodeX View Post
I would recommend you re-evaluate your build based on the following:

1. Mord's passive is directly boosted by damage mitigation stats (armor, mres, dodge).

2. Pure HP is asking for a Mandred's up the ass.

3. Doubly so if you have no mres to counter Mandred damage.

4. Other conditions and situations where you need higher levels of mres and other anti-caster/cc items (like Merc Treads).

Based on those I would recommend you split your build up into "core items" (that make Mord work), and "optional/situational" items where you mix and match depending on game conditions.

Also, as a minor tangent, you don't explain the "why" of Thornmail, as opposed to other armor items, such as Sunfire Capes, Warden's Mail, Aegis of the Legion, etc.
I've played against players of all sorts - with and without madred's - and I've never performed poorly; even when I lost. If you doubt that, feel free to look me up. I'm not afraid of madred's in the least - they're not attacking me in vacuum, y'know. I can respond, and when I do, my shield will go up.

You're right about the thornmail, I should've added that. Thornmail is preferable because of your shield; it now negates damage and returns 25% of it. Very useful. I left out other utility items because I figured people could evaluate a situation and decide for themselves. I've never found Banshee's veil to be particularly useful late game - more than enough HP.

I've played around 15+ games with Mordekaiser, and all of my losses can be attributed to leavers. And even then, I still perform optimally (a game where I went 15/3 comes to mind, and it was effectively 3v5 for half the game).

I specifically put [ITEM GUIDE] because I wanted people to know that this was just my take on a champion I've been playing successfully. I'm not going to go into more detail, this is just to get your feet wet. If you find a better strategy, go for it! All I know is, I've yet to lose a game for any reason besides leavers.

Snazzy Pants

03-03-2010

Just realized something: anyone who could make good use of a madred's is way too squishy to stand up to me for long. I just played a game where I took out ryze, teemo, and nasus 3v1. Teemo died almost instantly, and right before I popped my ult and wrecked the other two.

Go for the madred's, just know that I'm going for atma's.

wildfire393

03-03-2010

You should be leveling Siphon of Destruction first. It gives you a huge boost to your shield (using it on a minion wave basically makes you full) and is his easiest skill to harass with. It makes your early laning much easier.

Basically, go:
1 - Siphon
2 - Creeping or Mace
3 - Siphon
4 - The other of Creeping or Mace
5 - Siphon
6 - Ult
7 - Siphon
8 - Creeping (Mace doesn't scale amazingly well with level, as its primary effect is to allow your melee attack to hit 4 targets, the bonus damage is minimal)
9 - Siphon
10 - Creeping
11 - Ult
12-13 - Creeping
14-15 - Mace
16 - Ult
17-18 - Mace