[Guide] Mordekaiser! <Witty Title Here>

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Knote

03-03-2010

I'd though I'd just share my opinion on how to build Mord from my own theorycrafting.

I'm sure you can find the same long, well detailed guide that practically holds your hand by telling you exactly how to play and etc etc, so I don't feel the need to reiterate basically the same information.

First off, I'd like to point out I actually don't have much experience with the new champ (disclaimer).

Anyway for Runes :

My preference is basically similar to how I build my normal casters : 6.5% CD Redux, 19 MP5 (@18), and ~14.5 Magic Pen (using Quints).

Instead for Mord I would just swap out for MP5 for HP5 regen @18.

Masteries : I would probably just keep it simple and go for a 21/9/0 or 9/21/0 however it goes. But would probably advise 21 in offense rather than defense, reason being that more dmg = more dmg (which means more shield) and less dmg taken = just less dmg taken. (Also you could probably go with Utility, as I do with almost every champ and you can get more CD Reduction)

As for what to take, I feel it should be pretty easy to figure that out, just try to avoid things that obviously wouldn't work with Mordekaiser (Hp5 from Mana, etc). But obviously, Archaic Knowledge.

---------

Now onto items.

I see Mordekaiser as a magic dmg DPS (not exactly burst), with some physical thrown in, and off-tanking capabilites.

What that means is boosting your ability's however that doesn't necessarily mean taking AP since his AP ratios are pretty **** underwhelming, especially his ult (500 AP gives you 8% Hp over 8 seconds more, compared to 3.5% per 100 AP on deathfire /gag).

So as far as building for dmg, I favor going for full Magic Penetration, usually just Sorc Boots + Void Staff (If you really want more you could throw in Haunting Guise which would take up the last slot for my average build. or maybe Soul Shroud, they both have very useful attributes for Mord but waste the mana regen aspect, which isn't a big deal really).

The rest of the item build is basically more defense oriented and leans toward efficiency (That's my preference anyway).

End Result : [Sorcerer's Boots] [Void Staff] [Force of Nature] [Frozen Mallet] [Sunfire Cape] [Soul Shroud]

Reasoning :

Favored Attributes

Health per 5 (Regen)
Health (Hp Pool)
Magic Penetration
Bonus Effects/Utility
Armor
Magic Resist
CD Redux.
Ability Power
Move Speed

-------------------------------------

[Sorcerer's Boots] - Move Speed, Magic Penetration

[Void Staff] - Magic Pen, Ability Power

[Force of Nature] - Hp5 (Passive : Hp5 based on Health Pool), Move Speed, Magic Res.

[Frozen Mallet] - Health, Slow on Attacks, Damage

[Sunfire Cape] - Health, Armor, (Passive : 40 DPS Pbaoe Aura)

[Soul Shroud] - Health, CD Redux, Utility : (Passive : Aura)

Alternatives to Soul Shroud
  • [Spirit Visage]
Provides much more Hp Regen although it won't help you survive burst in combat as well as +HP items and you get Hp Regen from getting +HP items anyway thanks to FoN. You get decent enough MR from FoN as well.
  • [Haunting Guise]
Provides even more Magic Penetration against those pesky MR stackers, and a tiny boost in hp5 easily ignored though. In the end you would end up losing HP and Hp5 from Soul Shroud as well as 5% CD Redux and the utility of it being an aura.

• [Warmog's]
Provides much more HP meaning more survivability, but now you have 0 CD Redux items, which means less dmg and less shielding.
  • [Anything Else]
Anything else you think would be better. /Shrug

I like this build because it covers almost everything (IMO).

Magic Penetration to keep your dmg significant, tiny bit of AP doesn't hurt either. All the Hp5 from FoN and Runes acts as your mana and really does make your spells "Free" but also frees you from being tied to the fountain as well. Can easily end up with 120+ Armor/MR from Sunfire Cape and FoN. +HP from Frozen Mallet, Soul Shroud, and Sunfire cape.

---------------------------------

Frozen Mallet VS. Rylai's Sceptre

To be honest, I always found the 15% slow on aoe dmg based spells to be pretty underwhelming and would only consider it on aoe dmg spells that already slowed to give it more Oomph. Also considering that his ult procs a 15% slow as well and not a full 35% slow, AND that his AP ratios really aren't THAT amazing, I personally would stick with the Frozen Mallet.

The fact that you'll have pretty good move speed with FoN and any other Summoner Spell helpers you decide to take : Flash, Exhaust, Ghost, Cleanse etc, makes Frozen Mallet a nice choice, also considering that you should be meleeing people (since your atk spd is pretty good you'll do decent physical dmg and will be casting Mace of Spades often).

The most important difference is that the Frozen Mallet snare isn't a measly 15% AND it will proc off your pet's Attacks.

The 2nd most important difference : It stacks with lizard buff which also procs from your pet's attacks (Last time I checked they stacked). If they don't stack, then atleast you'll consistently have that snare on attacks.

I can't tell you how awsome it is to get a ranged champ Ult'd and finish multiple people off trying to run away, ALL BY ITSELF. (Even casters like Zilean will work, great attack range)

-------------------------------------------

Finally : Item/Spell Priorities

For spells, E (your Cone nuke) always has priority.

Then I'll get atleast 1 level of Mace of Spades usually at lvl 2, then level up Creeping Death.

I like to jungle for it's many benefits, so I tend to build the FoN first and go for 2 Regrowth Pendants.

After those two I'll work towards a Phage and then finish the FoN. After that Sorc Boots, then Void Staff, then Sunfire Cape, and finally Soul Shroud.

Red and Blue elixirs can be used whenever you have the spare cash (Though I think the Blue elixir would be better end game).

Of course you can build these items in any order that feels most important. (If they're not stacking MR yet you can probably hold off on that Void Staff, etc).

And I know some people LOVE merc boots and Banshee's veil, so really this is just my opinion on building Mordekaiser.

Good luck. Oo

Knote

03-03-2010

Bump, :3

Fbsunny

03-03-2010

Seems to me like if you get void staff you are wasting a ****load of gold on mana that you don't get. Sorc shoes seem to work well, and mpen marks also work well from what I have seen so far. If they do in fact start stacking MR then you can just focus on doing AD, by getting a bloodthirster or Atma's if you got a warmog's already. Since you fill up your shield mainly on creeps/AoE it is more important to just do damage to hero's then to necessarily do magic damage to them.

Also I go with a 9/0/21 masteries build since Morde doesn't really need that 10% crit damage and % CDR seems more useful.

Morinav

03-03-2010

MP5 runes? What?

Brad

03-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morinav View Post
MP5 runes? What?
This stands for Mana Per Five Runes, which means mana regen per 5 sec

Zohariel

03-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbsunny View Post
Seems to me like if you get void staff you are wasting a ****load of gold on mana that you don't get.
Void staff doesn't give mana anymore. It's just AP and magic pen now.

IndomitusRex

03-04-2010

Your assertion that more ability damage = more shield is really only valid when you're hitting very few targets. If you aim your Syphon properly charging up your shield really isn't a problem.

Fbsunny

03-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
This stands for Mana Per Five Runes, which means mana regen per 5 sec
I'm sure he knows what MP5 runes are, he is just wondering why they would be mentioned in a guide for a champion that does not have mana.

Knote

03-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbsunny View Post
I'm sure he knows what MP5 runes are, he is just wondering why they would be mentioned in a guide for a champion that does not have mana.

I don't want to be rude, but if you read it then you would see I said that I used my normal caster build EXCEPT you want to swap out mp5 runes for hp5...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndomitusRex View Post
Your assertion that more ability damage = more shield is really only valid when you're hitting very few targets. If you aim your Syphon properly charging up your shield really isn't a problem.
Well you're not always going to have creeps around when fighting champions, also it makes creeping death more than just an armor/MR buff, you also can make sure your sunfire cape is doing full (or close to) dmg.

This means you can do more aoe dmg in a fight and still do nice single target dmg, especially with your ult. If you can reduce the teams MR to 0 or close to, then that lvl 3 ult really will be 1/3 of their HP over 8 seconds which means it's more than just a pet spell, but can also be used to help tank more. (Constant stream of shield power and CotG healing and shielding even more really can make you beefy, throw in armor/MR from Creeping Death as well).

But, I could see an auto attack build definately, I just don't think it's nearly as fun or as good for tanking. And it would probably make your pet do more dmg, but use it mainly for a ranged snare that still deals nice dmg.

Also I didn't think I'd have to say this but : it's just my preference on what I think would be a nice magic dmg/tank build. Don't knock it til you try it! XD