Trouble with Alistar.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

XMPlar

03-02-2010

So I decided to step outside of my comfort zone and try playing a tank. Alistar was my first pick, and I red a few guides but I'm having trouble with him; namely I have no idea how to acquire gold with him. How does the minotaur go about farming?

GENERAL NUTBAKED

03-02-2010

he doesnt.

worst farmer in the game.

XMPlar

03-02-2010

Hmmm, then how do I go about equipping him? I want to expand my skill set but I don't want to be a liability. Also, I kind of feel like an idiot for trying to play Alistar in solo queue, he relies on having a team that knows what they're doing and that is a bit too much to hope for it seems.

WasabiCannon

03-02-2010

The old way to build alistar was to get a sheen but since the nerf most people are going brutalizer then a chalice if your having mana problems or a heavy caster team.

Boots 3 or 5 whichever floats your boat.

After this I personally focus on auras that will help the team.

Skills should be something like.

Q - Great lvl 1 damage and if you have another person like twitch that is moreless firstblood
E/W - W if you have no need to heal
harass with W when you can
R - Use this to become the best tank in the world. -75% of any damage.

Personally I only put 1 point in E sometimes 2 depending on who is in the lane and if they are harassing alot.

tk666death

03-02-2010

just use your Q ability around minions and champions it stuns and does damage

jyajin

03-03-2010

Mana crystal==>catalyst gem==>Rod of ages,
Boots
Something you'd like

The thing about Alistar is that you need to play defensively at the beginning and wait for the enemy to make some sort of a mistake.

Also you yourself need to be a good team player as well, usually you will have to give up trying to kill someone and stun knock the enemy into the loving arms of your comrades.

Remunial

03-03-2010

Quote:
he doesnt.

worst farmer in the game.
This

Alistar is one of my best champions and I can honestly say that you won't be rich if you play him. If you're using your Pulverize (Q) to farm then you are wasting valuable mana that could be spent on killing the enemy or healing your team. His mana can run out pretty fast if used poorly and you will regret wasting it when you don't have enough to use your Ult in a tough situation.

Alistar literally needs no tank items to do well. That's not to say that he can't benefit from them (especially Merc Treads, Banshee's, etc.) but a support item would be better. If you don't want to rely entirely on your Ult then go ahead and build him as a tank. However, if you build for cooldown reduction (Soul Shroud+Glyphs/Quints+Masteries will get you to max) then this pretty much give you 75% reduced damage whenever you will need it.

Innervating Locket helps as well, but, I would only suggest this if you're doing well with kills/assists since it can take awhile to build. On that note, try not to take a kill from your teamates. Alistar doesn't need kills and it's much smarter to feed your carry and just take the assist.

This is why I would suggest you skill build to be R>Q>E>W. Take R for obvious reasons, take Q since it does AoE damage and can give a little DPS boost in the start of fights, take E so your team can push for longer periods of time, take W last because it does about the same amount of damage as Q but only hits 1 target...And you aren't trying to kill anything, your purpose is to set up kills for your team. You help your team more by doing your initial AoE damage and then keeping them alive by healing and soaking up damage. The extra points in W early won't really be noticable but the extra healing from E will be.

AutoSponge

03-03-2010

Try my guide, Alistar the Farmer:
https://www.leagueoflegends.com/boar...ad.php?t=64565

I can typically buy a damage item, a tank item, boots, and something else in 30 min in a high ELO game. Much more in a low ELO game (where people feed more).

OmniOblivion

03-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMPlar View Post
So I decided to step outside of my comfort zone and try playing a tank. Alistar was my first pick, and I red a few guides but I'm having trouble with him; namely I have no idea how to acquire gold with him. How does the minotaur go about farming?
Good luck with that, because his DPS and AP scaling ain't the best. He's the best CC tank overall in the game.

Dapacman

03-03-2010

Personally, I use him to farm by killing other champions and getting kills/assists (mostly assists). He is very easy to do this with, including tower diving and in 2+v2+ fights.

As far as farming minions goes...he's the most difficult hero probably in the game to do it with. His regular attack is incredibly slow and does virtually no damage. Sheen makes it a bit easier (heal + attack) for those who have issues with getting the last-hits on minions the majority of the time. When it comes to money after level 8 or 9 though, you won't get much.

I have used Sunfire Capes in the past to increase farming (and they do help in team fights). It's a matter of preference, and there are better items than Sunfire Cape for Alistar in general.

My recommendation: Heal + Sheen until you get a feel for his timing. Afterwards, read my guide on how to be more aggressive, perhaps it will help you extract gold from champions instead.

Hope that helps!