AP Kogmaw is so underrated

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

konfetarius

04-24-2011

Quote:
4. Lots of trouble dealing with people that charge up to him.
Nocturne was the worst thing to ever happen to AP Kog. But I strongly disagree with 2. MR stacking doesn't hurt him that much considering that Mpen is the most cost efficient way to increase his damage output. What hurts AP Kog the most is heals and high HP because it is primarily a poking build. On the bright side, if they start stacking HP, you can try to punish them for it by transitioning into W.

In my experience, AP Kog seems most devastating against AD carries who try to rush a big damage item. By the time they start building a Banshee Veil, you have enough MPen to ensure that you don't lose that much damage against them.

Lucavious

04-24-2011

AP sounds like fun but during the game there are just too many problems associated with it that make me steer away from it.

- The scaling on his W works better with faster attack at a flat 10% (using Bloodrazor) than the improved damage he would gain from AP.
- Your auto attack is going to be useless, so HP leech isn't viable and you become even squishier than you already were.
- The AP scaling on his ultimate is pretty lame.

AP is a valid playstyle, but I've been having far more success and building all of my items around W for crushing tanks. Its so funny watching tanks rage quit when they can't take on three players at once anymore.

saixx

04-24-2011

a nashors is a core item on my AP kog. I hit CDR cap with just that and then pure AP. I get enough AS to effective use BaB. Think of things this way. You can get a madreds BR, which does mag dmg, and use with bab which also does mag dmg(both effected by MR whether u build AD or AP). The other option you can build AP getting more health% per hit and effect every other skill he has. Landing your spam ulti from such far range with the % bonus on ulti for champ hits nobody seems to take into consideration makes it a very effective damage tool. It also gives sight of enemy making it even easier to land future snipe shots. Its quite fun making that squishy get to the fight with half health. Even more fun to snipe them escaping. A simple R-E can take 3/4 a squishy's health and make the fight area slowed for enemies. Then pop BaB and go to town on people that got too close and snipe those far away.

Also for what person above said HP leech was bad to begin with unless u built AD items instead of just bloodrazor, thats magic damage and so is bab so no lifesteal on that 10% a hit. You really are squishy either way, and with AD have less hp/defensive options, but have lifesteal if a legit AD build.

AP kog is not godly. AP kog is like most characters, viable.

sorry for spelling/grammar typing while working

Kuryaka

04-24-2011

AP Kog is safe when built rush tear, you have literally no defense once they dodge your Void Ooze, but he kills people near towers. I like AP Kog when the enemy can shut you down regardless of damage output (heavy CC everywhere).

AP Kog used to be even better when Void Ooze was "glitched." I built Will of the Ancients and used Void Ooze to heal ~500 damage off each creep wave.

Harbin

04-24-2011

Try 'no hard CC'. This is why. If his E stunned, or his Q feared or something, he would be great. Instead, he has a slow and a armor reducer.

Draghinaazzo

04-24-2011

I never ever play AD kogmaw. I play aspd or AP kogmaw. I find you do much more damage with aspd than AD because you only nede to grab MRpen and not armour pen. My AP build is tear, boots, AA, troll from there. My aspd build is +3boots, bloodrazor, malady, wits end, phantom, frozen mallet. 2.5aspd with elixer, like 430 move speed i think with a on hit slow

Ghost713x

06-22-2011

I roll AP Kog all the way.
(for those astute readers, yes I'm not lv 30 yet, but at 28 this is the final build I am working)

Roll 9/0/21 on Masteries, picking up all CDR and MPen, and Imp exhaust and mana boost.

Run 9x MPen Reds, 1x MPen Quint, 9xCDR/lv Blues, 1x CDR/Lv Quint, 9x AP/lv Yellows, 1xAP/lv Quint.

Start with Mana gem, work into tear at about level 5 (solo or with buddy)
Grab boots, (Koggy's just SLLLOOOOOWWWW)
B4 recent patch: Rush Popehat (my pet name for deathcap)
After patch: Complete Manamune. (Still get mana build to spam R and get scale with bonus AD and well bonus AD is it's own reward.)
Turn boots into Ionian boots (CDR is SWEET for Kog)
Build Void Staff. (W/masteries, 55% MPen is SICK)
Build Popehat
Build Archangel's x2 (Games dont usually go that long but...)
Ends with ~ 780 AP, 200 AD (100 bonus), 35% CDR (so that ult is a .65 [nearly as fast as the global CD] SECONDS spam), 365 MS (Still so SLLLOOOOWWW, but whaddayagonnado?) Q and E hit for about 1000 B4 MR (which is reduced 10 flat and then by 55%), W hits in at 14% (3% better than the Madred's Mafia).

Basic strategy is to spam R while they close, hit E at max range, continue spamming R, hit W as they close, hit Q once in range and they should (with 2+ hits from R) be dead. If not, keep gunning, and run them down if you die. Kog's passive to me makes me fearless (mostly) of death. Use R to keep enemies off turrets so your minions (or your teammates, or yourself) can dive them. With max R you can hit from just in front of the nexus turrets to the middle of the spawn steps and from the side of the nexus all the way to the back. (And vice versa if your having to defend cause your team's not quite on that match. From the bottom of the spawn steps you can hit the nexus turrets melee range. And since you literally CAN'T SPEND YOUR MANA FAST ENOUGH, it's a .65 second death nuke for free.)
This is how I've been playing Kog in random 5v5 and 3v3 and it seems to work VERY well, even when my team doesn't win.

About the only real hard counters to it are being singled out by their ENTIRE team in team fights, which your team SHOULD be exploiting, especially once you TD nuke everyone around you on death. Being singled out by a good high burst capable assassin type (Akali, etc.) Or by their tank stacking HP (yeah HP) because stacking MR isn't really going to work against you. But having to burn through 4k HP 500 at a time when they are regenerating half that every tick is almost undo-able.

But that's just my $.02, worth exactly what you paid to hear it...

5h4p3

06-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by YummyCheese View Post
1. Mana/Blue-buff reliant, forcing you to certain builds.
2. Pitiful damage versus targets with any MR.
3. Outside of team fights incredibly easy to dodge.
5. Unreliant damage output.

His positive aspects being his incredible range, mediocre damage versus carries, and his great poke/scouting.

He's not bad, but he's also not great.
I'm not a Kog player at all but,

2. Kog's insane range gives him his pick of targets, he's not a tank killer, but he will wail on the ashe in the back no?

EDIT: Also, with the support metagame that seemed to be played at dreamhack, he seems an excellent choice to harass them out of position.

Mikeschke

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by YummyCheese View Post
1. Mana/Blue-buff reliant, forcing you to certain builds.
2. Pitiful damage versus targets with any MR.
3. Outside of team fights incredibly easy to dodge.
5. Unreliant damage output.

His positive aspects being his incredible range, mediocre damage versus carries, and his great poke/scouting.

He's not bad, but he's also not great.
This and it takes so long before he deals damage. AP kog can be good but he is way too situational and requires a lot of farm to be effective

end3r

06-22-2011

I have seen a coulpe of ap kogs. They never carry there team like any other mage or ap carry could. AD kog is a frighting thing when he is farmed well. If he has a good team to back him up AD kog will utterly mow teams down. AP kog is terrible in team fights. A little MR and his ulti is just a tickle.