US vs. EU metagame

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ViolentSymphony

04-23-2011

I'm interested, after watching the games today for the tournament, about the differences between the US metagame and the European metagame. Anyone know the difference?

T N G

04-24-2011

Solo Queue doesn't really seem that much different EU vs US. (at last I have a level 30 account on EU... as I cant play with 280 ping on US anymore)

What you saw on the EU vs CLG games was just: a "TEAM" playing against "a bunch of guys who know each other and get together for tournaments".

Their picks were terribly predictable, their strategy was terribly predictable. Basically if it's the "fad" on solo queue that is their strategy.

Whereas the EU teams pulled off coordinated plays from second 1 of the game, made their summoner picks for specific goals, and utilized global ults in a way people who just play solo queue couldn't reliably predict.

I really didn't see a single teamfight that could be attributed to "lag" for their bad performance. Last hitting minions could have been somewhat disadvantaged but in both the games they were just outlaned, so I'm not sure lag even played a role there.

The EU teams' map/dragon/baron control was almost perfect, and they almost always successfully picked a CLG member before a teamfight, to make the teamfight in their advantage.

The latter points all just support the "practicing TEAM" vs "guys who get together for tournaments" thing.

They might be better individually, but that didn't matter yesterday.

r x

04-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by T N G View Post
Solo Queue doesn't really seem that much different EU vs US. (at last I have a level 30 account on EU... as I cant play with 280 ping on US anymore)

What you saw on the EU vs CLG games was just: a "TEAM" playing against "a bunch of guys who know each other and get together for tournaments".

Their picks were terribly predictable, their strategy was terribly predictable. Basically if it's the "fad" on solo queue that is their strategy.

Whereas the EU teams pulled off coordinated plays from second 1 of the game, made their summoner picks for specific goals, and utilized global ults in a way people who just play solo queue couldn't reliably predict.

I really didn't see a single teamfight that could be attributed to "lag" for their bad performance. Last hitting minions could have been somewhat disadvantaged but in both the games they were just outlaned, so I'm not sure lag even played a role there.

The EU teams' map/dragon/baron control was almost perfect, and they almost always successfully picked a CLG member before a teamfight, to make the teamfight in their advantage.

The latter points all just support the "practicing TEAM" vs "guys who get together for tournaments" thing.

They might be better individually, but that didn't matter yesterday.

While I like CLG, this is pretty much it. They never practice as a team and EU has many top teams that scrim against each other all the time and get better, US has nothing.

Lag would explain a few things, but it wasn't the deciding factor. The CS possibly and many many anivia walls and alistar pulverizes that were off by like 1 millimeter

cLHx1

04-24-2011

Ive noticed US players are all about the tank/support roles.. while EU players are all about Jungle/Karthas Diving.

Both strategys are great.. i personally love the karthas dive strat.. if played correctly its almost impossible to counter.

djudjud14

04-24-2011

the big difference that you can see is that EU likes to put their AD carry at bottom lane with a support babysitting that carry.
the support will give all the last hit CS to the carry.

they've also embraced the tanky dps metagame which CLG have not.. somehow..
they're still using somewhat same lineup for a few months now..

gom99

04-25-2011

They also put a high value on team compositions that are good at poking.

Chars like Nidalee, Gragis, Karthus, etc. are valued more over there.

They also team fight more than NA teams do, so they practice it often. NA tends to focus more on building up gaining an advantage and going for a Coup De Grace. Where you see maybe 1-3 real team fights in an NA game, you'll probably see 3-5 in an EU game.

Disclaimer: I've never actually played on the EU servers, this comes from looking at EU game recordings from higher tier teams. SK, Fnatic, etc.

preparetobeowned

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-25-2011

I think that the thing about CLG was that they have become overconfident after winning every tournament. They have won WCG,Alienware, and any other they have been in. They lose games but there a team that loses the first game and then develops a strategy to counter the other team unlike the Europeans who use the same strategy. Since these are only one games and not a series they didn't have time to develop a strategy. They just played who they knew they were good with. I'm pretty sure CLG will end up start playing more together because they just looked off. All of there deficiencies snowballed .
1. They were overconfident.
2. They we're too rusty as a team.
3. The ping obviously affected there ability to last hit.
4. They rely on learning the other teams strategies then countering them in several games(Look at WCG and some of the ESL matches).
5. They got outpicked in the first game.
6. They really didnt have a definite strategy and relied on them being better players then TiC and LLL.
7.TiC and LLL might have been worse players then CLG but they had better teamwork and better strategies thus they won.
8. CLG isn't adapting which could potential hurt them.
9. They are running a lot of tankies(Cho,Alistar,Amumu,Shen) when they could be running a support( although you could say allistar is a support but he is more just like a giant cc tank).
TL,DR:CLG hasn't adapted to counter the EU meta. They are running too many tanks and they are not running a definite strategy and are simply trying to just win by being better players while the other teams won by having better strategies.

preparetobeowned

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-25-2011

Also I would like to add that I got a lot of the info about them not practicing togehter and strategies from one of the LoL podcast which I think Chauster was on(It could have been Elemenetz but I think it was Chauster).
He said that they dont practice together and just try to win by being better and kind of forgo strategies.

preparetobeowned

04-25-2011

I know this is a lot but I think that the babysit support bot developed to counter the double stun bot that NA often runs. I think that EU has created strategies that counter NA not just strategies that they developed on there own. EU wants to be on top for once where NA or CLG has won every tournament they were in.

Eppa

04-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by preparetobeowned View Post
I know this is a lot but I think that the babysit support bot developed to counter the double stun bot that NA often runs. I think that EU has created strategies that counter NA not just strategies that they developed on there own. EU wants to be on top for once where NA or CLG has won every tournament they were in.
Something like Garen, Taric beat Janna, Ashe( back when all of them was were fotm); easy. It just put bigger focus on dragon with a tank top and ganking with a caster being 10x deadly rather than winning the duo lane.