Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Sion: AP or AD?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

saixx

Recruiter

04-24-2011

play him based on your team. I have tanked, AD'd, and AP'd him. Depends on your team and theirs as to what he should be. Nice thing about sion is he isnt picked too often and you can fill any role. AP has better burst(duh). AD has better dps/pushing(although shiled 1 shots a creep wave AP late game). Tank has best survivability since he naturally gets high HP that armor and MR go a long way.

Modevasion

04-24-2011

Sion is one of those champs where you can easily tell he was meant to be an off-tank champ... (built in bf sword, ultimate that heals team for a percentage of damage, and gives life steal and attackspeed, both of which are basically ignored ein an ap build, except for some sustainability from his ult, and beefiness due to the passive of enrage.

But because of his ridiculous AP ratios, he's primarily played as AP, at least in my elo... it's sad because he's much more fun as ad... but why play ad when ap is soooo good.

malphismia

04-24-2011

AP is the best early game because he can farm whole creep waves with his shield, so he can farm all his items faster.

AD is best late game, because he can become a tanky DPS with his passive and health gains.

I've seen both builds dominate, so I wouldn't know which is better.
I remember an AD Sion who dived 1v5 and he came out alive, because he'd kill 1 after the other while they all ran instead of attacking him together.
Then I remember an AP Sion who 2-shot any champ on their team and he had 20 stacks on mejais.

He's basically really good either way, depends on which playstyle you like better. But never, ever, go full tank on Sion.

Krimblast

04-24-2011

Exactly. Do not go fully tank (items) with sion. You will be left with great survivability, and 1,5s stun. End.
I tend to go AP early, just make sure you dont suck, because if you fail early with AP sion, you are useless all the time (if you sucked early you will have hard mid, and his late game is little lacking so gg). But be good with him early, you will have great mid, and you can do well (or go hybrid as i personally do) with him.
Tip from old Sion player - max cdr. Can be done with runes + masteries + nashor tooth

Jeremee

04-24-2011

AP sion is a team player. AD sion is a 1v1 champ ONLY. His ult is really just for healing after an incredible 2k damage nuke on their entire team, followed by being focus'd hard. Think about nasus. Tank Nasus = legit, while AD Nasus = Pubstomper. AP sion = legit, while AD sion = Pubstomper.

bylobog44

04-24-2011

I usually play Sion AP early and AD (attack speed) late. But the recent nerf to his stun is pushing me more towards a straight AD build (or just a single AP item). AP Sion has always been a little weak in team fights, relying very heavily on his ability to spam his stun. But with only a 1.5 sec stun at level 18, with so many champions running Merc Treads, he has to be able to survive and do sustained damage in a team fight.

It's odd that in a patch intended to tone down the trend to tanky DPS champions, they actually encouraged building Sion as a tanky DPS by nerfing his burst/mage abilities.

noisvuli

04-25-2011

Quote:
bylobog44:
I usually play Sion AP early and AD (attack speed) late. But the recent nerf to his stun is pushing me more towards a straight AD build (or just a single AP item). AP Sion has always been a little weak in team fights, relying very heavily on his ability to spam his stun. But with only a 1.5 sec stun at level 18, with so many champions running Merc Treads, he has to be able to survive and do sustained damage in a team fight.

It's odd that in a patch intended to tone down the trend to tanky DPS champions, they actually encouraged building Sion as a tanky DPS by nerfing his burst/mage abilities.

The stun nerf was a bigger nerf to AD because 1.5 secs is enough to get into shield explosion range, but barely enough to get into melee range. And AP relies on burst, whereas AD has to stay on his target.

AD sion is more fun though, but AP seems to be the dominant way to play him unfortunately.

MrNeverDie

Recruiter

04-25-2011

AP in early game while AD after ~7-8lv

Áesthetic

04-25-2011

AP is way better than AD. Late game AP Sion can have a sheild that tanks like 700 damage lol... insane~
It's also a lot better for team fights, AOE > 1v1 damage

DÓA

04-25-2011

AP Sion is much easier to play well. He farms like a beast, can lane forever, and really hurts early.

AD Sion has a stronger late late game. Only problem is you need a lot of farm to really shine and its usually easier to level his shield to get it. Tis a catch 22 of sorts.

AP's weakness is late game. AD's weakness is the first 1/2 - 3/4's while trying to farm items.

IMO, for AP to have a shot late you have to go mejal's. Otherwise your roll turns into a pusher of lanes with your fast ability to sweep CS and using lichbane procs to take chunks off buildings using your skill spam.

I like AP better overall. AD can be a monster if you get there, but I dont like counting on that much farm.