Should I switch from Chrome to Firefox?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

falkenjeff

09-14-2014

I've been using chrome for years. But a lot of recent changes have made me consider switching over.

1) Not sure if this is just the mac version or not, but last time I checked it was 32 bit, and no 64 bit version existed

2) Google ****ed with the new tab page, so now it sometimes takes half a second to load (because it checks for a new Google logo before loading, and is therefore limited by your internet latency, and not your machine speed). "Fastest browser"? Not anymore.

3) If you want the old "new tab page" layout, you need to use an extention. And it still has that same latency issue before loading, so it doesn't even fix the main problem.

4) I'm pretty much FORCED to use one of those garbage new tab page extentions, because the huge Google logo takes up too much space on the default page and all 8 of my favorite pages dont even fit on my screen. My screen resolution is 1280x720 because my mac is hooked up to an HDTV, and I don't want to manually change all the font and cursor sizes to make them readable (or in the case of cursor size, easy to see)

5) Not sure if this one is still just the mac version or not, but it's buggy as ****. Bold/italics/underline doesn't show up properly on the league forums. Pages with lots of scripts don't display properly (eg: another league example, the match history gold graphs will sometimes have the line messed up and cut off before the match actually ends).

K, so that's all the bad stuff. Why am I still using it?

1) Bookmarks/history/etc saved to my google account.

2) Can sync across devices (when I go take a poop and take my phone with me, all my bookmarks are there, and so are all the pages I have open on my mac).

What do I do GD? Do I finally switch back to Firefox? I haven't used it since Chrome came out. Do I really switch back to Firefox? Google's pissing me off.

falkenjeff

09-14-2014

b

Ackaeon

09-14-2014

Always used Chrome, don't have any of these problems. Even downloading Chrome onto my Ipad so that I could surf the web on it without wanting to lobotomise myself.

Honestly I think your biggest problem is that you're using a Mac. Have you tried turning it off, waiting 10 seconds, and then turning it on? Alternative solutions include replacing your Mac with a good computer.

falkenjeff

09-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackaeon View Post
Honestly I think your biggest problem is that you're using a Mac. Have you tried turning it off, waiting 10 seconds, and then turning it on? Alternative solutions include replacing your Mac with a good computer.
Go **** yourself.

EDIT: and I know for a fact that WIndows users suffer from the new tab page problems. Just a simple Google search will show how mad people are over that. And have been for.... over a year now? And Google has done nothing.

Farranor

09-14-2014

1. 32-bit vs 64-bit doesn't matter for a web browser. Chrome is multithreaded anyway.
2. I haven't noticed this, but I haven't been looking for it either.
3. N/A
4. That resolution shouldn't be a problem - it's not that far from 1920x1080. I haven't noticed this issue. In my new tab page, the Google logo, search bar, and eight favorite pages probably take up around 1000x500 or so.
5. I haven't noticed this either.

I have noticed that Google's changed some stuff under the hood (like the Webaudio API - my tone generator doesn't work anymore for some reason), so maybe they've also been messing around elsewhere. Have you tried Google/Chrome tech support and forums?

Pailidin

09-14-2014

I've had nothing but bad experiences with Chrome... I had a laptop that kept slowing down soon after it started up. Found out it was multiple instances of Chrome running in the background, even through I never used it.

BakedLotion

09-14-2014

Been using firefox for years now. Never regretted it. It has good security, speed, and consistency.
Chrome always fks **** up for me. Always does things without my permission and crashes

Farranor

09-14-2014

I like Chrome mostly because it's multithreaded: if a page goes unresponsive, I can just kill that process, and not have the whole browser crash.

Arriadanae

09-14-2014

My work uses Chrome exclusively on their computers. This latency you speak of, we don't have.

Actually, a majority of what you said doesn't apply to Chrome on my PC, or at work. Nor does it my Nexus 5 which comes with Chrome by default.

I have had lots of issues with FireFox. My main one that I always get is that every time I close/open a new tab, the entire browser crashes and I lose everything I was doing before. I had to have multiple windows for FF to actually work.

john

09-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farranor View Post
1. 32-bit vs 64-bit doesn't matter for a web browser. Chrome is multithreaded anyway.
firefox isn't, and if you have more than 4 gb ram you should download waterfox (64 bit firefox)