Poppy, is she worth it?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Solarna

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-23-2011

Hey guys. I've recently taken an interest in poppy. I have no idea how to play her though such as how i build her, masteries, runes etc. Would anyone care to explain? Also is she a viable pick in ranked?? Thanks

Penguinbashr

04-23-2011

i bought her last night, no idea how to play her and she is AMAZING. so much damage output.

i went 34/11/14 with her on my second game, scoring 2 tripple kills. she is an amazing champ and i'd recomend getting her.

i dont play a lot of ranked, i wanted to but i am always losing and now my ranked is at like 900...you just cant carry a whole team. but as poppy, you target the right champs and you basically one shot them.

BUY HER

edit: i went offense masteries first game and defensive second game. defensive IMO is so much better as it gives survivability. im using ArmP reds/CDR blues and armour/attack speed yellows.

Ellye

04-23-2011

Poppy is a fantastic assassin / anti-carry.

First and the one most important thing to do well with Poppy: build Sheen. Most Poppy players will get it as their very first item (starting with Sapphire Crystal + 2 Health Potions).
Sheen is absurdly good with Poppy's Q, giving her enormous burst damage.

Second, no matter how you build her, Poppy main source of damage will be the burst from her E->Q. So, get Magic Penetration on her.

Third, there are basically three ways to go with Poppy (after you have Sheen and your boots of choice):
1) Building a Trinity Force and some DPS items. This gives you fantastic burst damage and some sustained damage
2) You can build Deathfire Grasp + Lich Bane to go AP Poppy. This is the option that gives you the highest burst damage.
3) You can build just a Trinity Force and then go directly to tanky items. This still gives you enough burst damage to take down carries, and you'll have good survivability.

Lastly, an important and non-intuitive tip for Poppy: you don't have to use your Ultimate on the person you're targeting. While the damage bonus is great, there are considerable advantages in using your ultimate on someone else: mainly the fact that often the champion you want to kill has some form of CC, so you'll be safer by ulting someone that doesn't have any CC, and the fact that you'll still be immune from most of your opponents after you finish exploding your target (otherwise your ult would end prematurely as soon as your target died).

Solarna

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-23-2011

Wow thanks guys, defiantly going to buy her

Tha Dynamite

04-23-2011

She is a very good champion if played correctly.
Problem: she is very hard to play correctly.

Which is why there were so many QQ threads about her before. Because those that can play her destroy with her, leading people to believe shes OP.

Divide N Conquer

04-23-2011

poppy is ******ed strong if you got a good lane partner. try alistar poppy... its just ungodly. never lost a lane when im playing with my poppy buddies. i play alistar. its over once we hit lvl 3, only need to leave lane to buy. I spam heals and set up with stuns/headbutts, poppy charges into a wall and its gg... too much fun!!

BanderitaUSA

04-23-2011

Poppy is amazingly fun to play if you have a good early game. She can do some heavy damage and to burst lovers she's one of a kind.
But, she can be death weight if you have a bad lane, which you will most likely against strong lanes in ranked. To counter somehow this early-laning, most people use Philosopher's Stone to make up for it.
Otherwise if you are doing really good, get your Sheen and Sorc/Merc Shoes right away.
Sheen is Poppy's best item.

Don't worry if you have trouble your first games, I sucked so much at Poppy for like 20 games till I grasped how she needs to be played, and now she's one of my favorite chars.
For it's IP cost, she's totally worth it.

malphismia

04-23-2011

lol don't be tricked by what some people say, she's a very difficult champ to play and you won't be roflstomping for the first few games you play with her. let us know how it goes gl

Penguinbashr

04-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRED View Post
lol don't be tricked by what some people say, she's a very difficult champ to play and you won't be roflstomping for the first few games you play with her. let us know how it goes gl
i roflstomped the past 4 gmaes with her. these are my first gmaes with her using the completly wrong rune page

some of it is just common sense though...target their carries first, if you tower dive make sure you put ult on the lowest Dps output