Trinity Force on Jarvan?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kroghar

04-23-2011

So I notice all the metaheads seem to pump Trinity Force on Jarvan first. I love me some Trinity Force, but I don't quite see the logic on Jarvan. He only has one ap scaling ability, and doesn't spam abilities all that much to make use of the proc.

I've usually always gone Ghostblade, then Sunfire and/or Banshees/FoN, and end with a Black Cleaver or GA. Are there benefits I'm not really considering from the Trinity that outweighs Ghostblade and Cleaver for killing people quickly?

aRchiBole

04-23-2011

He benifits more from ghostblade, you get the power/purchase invesment in that active to a large extent which works well because you want all you can in that instance when you ult someone and cooldown reduction is a amazing stat on him.

ComradeHX

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-23-2011

If you build Jarvan as a bruiser with enough CD(frozen heart, raduins...etc.), then Jarvan can be decent with Trinity force as the only attack item.

There is enough skill to proc the passive many times and you can space them out since there is no point in casting everything at the same time. Initiate with ulti, use bonus damage, wait one more second, flag outside ulti circle, attack twice, when ulti's walls are gone, use the Q and knockup; then use shield to slow.

Ghost blade is not that good for a bruiser because the active is only 8 seconds at most and afterwards you lose the movespeed bonus and may be useless for the rest of the fight; trinity has slow and passive movespeed bonus(that is only 5% less than the ghostblade active, but it works forever to increase your speed in getting into position) that will help you keep on melting the face of enemy squishy.

ForeverLaxx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-23-2011

I think the issue that you're running into is your playstyle with Jarvan. Most people play him as a tanky disruptor/initiator, and you seem to prefer an auto-attack focus. Because of the preference for the first style, Trinity Force helps him deal an initial burst of damage that is quite noticable when combined with his passive. Additionally, all of his abilities with the exception of his ult require no targets to execute, so you can proc TF whenever you want to. Plus, the additional mana helps Jarvan out immensely as he practically guzzles it, and the movespeed helps him get into position for knockups/ults.

Your goal, as you stated, is to "kill people quickly". Most people don't play him that way, and it's why you're running into this disconnect.

Frenger

04-23-2011

Kroghar is such a noob.

Kroghar

04-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverLaxx View Post
I think the issue that you're running into is your playstyle with Jarvan. Most people play him as a tanky disruptor/initiator, and you seem to prefer an auto-attack focus. Because of the preference for the first style, Trinity Force helps him deal an initial burst of damage that is quite noticable when combined with his passive. Additionally, all of his abilities with the exception of his ult require no targets to execute, so you can proc TF whenever you want to. Plus, the additional mana helps Jarvan out immensely as he practically guzzles it, and the movespeed helps him get into position for knockups/ults.

Your goal, as you stated, is to "kill people quickly". Most people don't play him that way, and it's why you're running into this disconnect.
That's a good take, that's not necessarily the case though. I don't prefer an auto-attack play-style with him, I do play a lot more tank/disrupter. Depends on the team comp, but I'll usually try to initiate the best that Jarvan can by getting in quickly and using the ult to separate the other teams carry from his team. In an ideal situation you also kill the carry.

Aside from the laning phase, my goal isn't really to one on one people.

In my eyes these items work towards the same goal though. As you mention TF helps you get into position quickly, that's what I use Ghostblade for, Ghostblade forward, ult, then followup with the flag>knockup. Ghostblade helps with your cooldowns, and it helps with your armor-pen.

In fact it seems like Ghostblade helps you more for getting in position for your disrupting, and the lower cooldowns for more frequent disrupting. I'd have to do some math, but I can't see the damage from the TF proc being much more than the armor pen you get from Ghostblade.

The only real advantage I see from TF, is the added health/mana, but for the cost difference, after a Ghostblade you could have your Catalyst on the way to a Banshee's Veil.