[Guide] TANKPLANK - The scourge of teamfights!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Flapjacks

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsharp View Post
If you wanted to tank, why not use a real tank with the skills to back it up? With this build, Gangplank would have a 1 time heal/cleanse, a weak Parrrley, and a weak ultimate, while at the same time not being that great of a tank anyways. Honest question.
What do you mean one time heal/cleanse? Are you suggesting that having a CD makes it bad?

Also, weak ultimate?

gunsharp

03-02-2010

I think the CD on remove scurvy is like 10 secs at level 5, so yes, you would probably only be able to use it once in a team fight.

Cannon Barrage is only useful midgame with magic penetration items, which this build doesn't have. Even with those items, his ult becomes a random aoe slow late game.

Forgot to account for -cd items. Even so, having 2 heals in a team fight does not mean you're a great tank.

Flapjacks

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-02-2010

Magic pen isn't really used on pirate because of the changes to parrrley. And I don't think anyone is saying he is as good a tank as malphite or alistar or something. Merely that he can be an effective if not ideal tank.

gunsharp

03-02-2010

The thing is that he can't be an effective/ideal tank. Taric has a targetted heal, an aoe boost/heal, an aoe armor boost/reduce, and a 2sec stun and is still considered a soft tank. Gangplank only has 1 heal and a minion dependant aoe boost.

Maybe this build works for you, but I'm just saying unless you're playing purely for fun (aka trying out crazy builds), I don't see many merits to it.

Patyrn

03-02-2010

The main problem with tankplank is that he relies on enemies being dumb enough to target him. He is completely and utterly non-threatening. The only things he does that you'd want to stop are his team AOE buff and his ult, both of which will be used just at the start of the fight and are largely unpreventable.

Ignore tankplank, and it's practically a 4v5.

xahhfink6

03-03-2010

The thing that makes Tankplank so good is that his passive is completely OP, but regular gangplank never gets to fully take advantage of it... I could basically make a list of characters that tankplank counters, simply because he is immune to CC and stops healing (while dealing 150 true damage)

That list would include most of the characters in the game. It is ridiculous.

Asura x

06-30-2010

Enjoyed the guide greatly, and would definitely like to try it in low elo games. But as some pointed out, any good team would just focus on the other member's of your team and you have no way of stopping them.

Priamos

06-30-2010

Atma's Impaler is a must on TankPlank, put it over Frozen Heart.

Bobahz

06-30-2010

Necro...

DrunkPikachu

06-30-2010

Actually I'm glad it got necro-ed, this guide is great I love gangplank but am only good at playing with tanks, so I'll definitively try

I think the fact that you can actually use your passive instead of just ****ing around spamming parley in teamfights can be really cool. And Spirit Visage + Frozen Heart offer a great synergy with his abilities.

Btw, don't you think you could remove Leviathan and build a Randuin's omen instead ? Of course it's a big item, but it gives you armor, health, another cooldown reduction (parley gatling anyone ?) and an active that will stack with Frozen Heart (hello master Yi). Cooldown reduction directly hit the hardcap of 40% btw.