Why is Corki considered even decent?

First Riot Post
12345 ... 6
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HarbingTarbl

03-01-2010

All the tier lists I see, everyone I talk to, tell me that "Corki is one of the best ranged dps in the game" Why is this? To me he seems like a less useful version of Teemo. I mean, just about every other ranged DPS can do what he does, better than him.

Trist has better escape abilities, more damage, more health, more utility (especially now that Exe Calling has been nerfed to hell).

Nid has THE BEST escape ability, THE BEST heal/support ability, immunity to blind(while in cat) and insane burst damage.

I just don't see how Corki who is called one of the best ranged dps, can even compare with the two mentioned above.

Could someone advise me on how to play Corki so that I am more than just a useless midget in a flying hamster ball? I tried following the highest rated guide on league-craft (AP Corki) but I found it.... lacking. My entire job in a teamfight consisted of: spamming my 'R' button in the general direction of a teamfight, hitting 'Q', then 'E' at which point I became useless.

I have tried AD Corki but I found his damage to be pretty terrible, at least when compared to other characters.

Phlimsy

03-01-2010

gatling gun and black cleaver and possibly a starks means you hit ******ly hard. also you have a lot more survivability than most other dps in that you can flash and valk

HarbingTarbl

03-01-2010

Does Gatling gun apply on hit effects to the target?

Mr Tibbers

03-01-2010

Alright.

1)His passive provides "true damage". He cuts through armor and always does an additional 10% of his attack damage. Crit can and do increase this true damage as well.

2)His Gatling Gun is just ridiculous for both farming and killing. As long as you're focused on the enemy, you can be pretty sure any armor they had is probably gone.

3)He has chasing ability in Valkyrie.

4)He has a blind/reveal in Phosphorous.

Anything I missed guys? I'm not the best Corki, but I know those are some significant advantages to most DPS'rs. Also, I've never seen a Nid with "insane burst damage". At least, not when compared to a dedicated AD carry. :/

Mr Tibbers

03-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarbingTarbl View Post
Does Gatling gun apply on hit effects to the target?
Nope. It just makes you hit like a truck and does quite a bit of damage all by its lonesome.

idecline

03-01-2010

How do you say that "they can all do what he does"?

Who has an ability that reduces armor every second in an aoe while auto attacking?

Who has a passive that increases true damage?

Who has 4 aoe skills?

It is his combination of skills. Tristana can jump like he can valkyrie, but she can't reduce armor in an aoe or reveal stealther/debuff chance to hit.

The thing that I see as his his biggest problem is no disable. He depends more on his team because of that so that to succeed with him you need to be a better team player.

imo

edit: You keep auto-attacking during gatling gun, so you can be proccing on one target at least.

HarbingTarbl

03-01-2010

Why don't high elo teams carry a Ryze as well then? His AoE reduces magic resistance by tons.

Robronie

03-01-2010

Corki is a very viable champion, i play him AD and i've heard that AP works well but i've never tried it since i hate the collision box on his missiles. I used to play him regularly although i play him less so now.
Few things about corki:
Advantages
- 4 AoE spells
- Has the only stealth revealing spell (as far as i know) + an aoe blind which is better than shaco's
- Ranged (although quite a short range)
- True damage from passive
- Escape and chasing skill (can go over walls)
- Armor reduction skill (good offensive utility allowing everyone to hit harder)
- Easy to farm with
- Huge range on missiles
- Decent at harassing

Disadvantages
- Quite slow
- Lacks any CC apart from the blind (no slows/stuns although i like to get frozen mallet which makes up for it)
- Pretty squishy (Frozen mallet helps here again)
- AP corki is dependant on stock of missiles
- No inbuilt healing capabilities

All i can think of up there
So there you go, not the perfect champion of course but is far from weak

EDIT - To answer above, sure take ryze, wouldn't really say he's a replacement for corki though. Magic damage and physical damage are both different. The lowering in magic resistance is useful although generally in your team you should have more physical damage. Enemy champions will also usually stack more armor than mag resistance so corki may be more useful in that respect.

Mr Tibbers

03-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarbingTarbl View Post
Why don't high elo teams carry a Ryze as well then? His AoE reduces magic resistance by tons.
His use in the team as of right now is fairly limited. He has no real survivability and escape for him is limited (no supporting escape abilities). He only brings AoE damage to the team really, if you're not counting his single-target stun. Annie's Tibber-stun, Anivia's Wall and Passive (Second life for the win.) are better in general for teams. An amazing AP caster is TF for his AoE Gold Cards. He's ridiculous, actually.

Runyst

03-01-2010

I was under the assumption that gold card was no longer aoe or was that just the slow effect taken away?
AP Corki is what I play, dps jsut makes me die too much as it puts me far too close to the gray.
As an AP corki, you usually save at least 4-5 rockets in case you need some burst
in team fights, considering you have a tank and what not, you sit outside nearly everyone's range, shooting missles that hit for 300-500 per pop usually depending on your ap and your bomb which blinds the dps carries
generally you don't use Valkyrie to do damage unless you want to get focused down and die
also I believe gatling applies rylai's slow making escape impossible

12345 ... 6