Best tank for Solo Queue?

Amumu 24 41.38%
Shen 23 39.66%
Singed 8 13.79%
Cho' Gath 3 5.17%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Which of these tanks would you prefer on your team?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AgentGary

04-21-2011

Despite playing the game for several months and excelling at a support/carry (Nidalee), an AP carry (Kassadin), and an AD carry (Corki), I have yet to try out tanks, for several reasons.

-I do not want to take the role of a tank if I don't have any runes for him (someone I'm matched with may have the optimal runes for a tank so he/she can take advantage of that by choosing a tank).

-I think that tanks have a hard time "carrying" the games by themselves. If I'm a fed Malphite, I can't just jump in and get a triple kill and win the game. Also, as tank, I'm not expected to get kills, but I am expected to absorb damage and initiate a team fight. In solo queue, not everyone cooperates, so even when I encounter the best time to initiate, not everyone may be in the battle scene (which is extremely frustrating) or may be nearby (when they should be).

Anyway, I am looking for a tank to play because it is an extremely important role that not everyone knows how to play. I'm tired of seeing 3 insta lock teammates with AD carries, expecting the other 2 to jungle and tank and go AP.

I have 4 tanks that I think are currently the strongest in the game: Amumu, Shen, Singed, and Cho' Gath. Here is what I think of each of them (not very detailed, I have never played these champions before, but I have seen them in action many times):

Amumu:

-Can jungle (I believe more efficiently than Shen, right?), which is amazing because you are giving more exp to your non-tanks and you are receiving more exp than duo-laning

-Grabbing (sorry, I don't know any skill names, lol) to stun is powerful initiator--just jump in their team and use your AoE stun ultimate while your team devesates as they watch helplessly.

-Can farm to an extent (AoE attack)

Shen:

-AoE taunt can completely screw over their team

-Global ultimate saves lives and lets you or your team finish lives (though in late game, I think is kind of useless? I don't know)

-Dash- a good escape/jump-into-the-battle ability

Singed:

-Throws someone, so it can ruin their team composition, force your team to focus all out and finish the guy being thrown, or just prevent someone from escaping

-Poison is good for farming and DoT

Cho' Gath:

-Spikes thing from the ground causing your opponents to jump helplessly

-Huge burst damage from ultimate

-Silence

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know that these are very basic details on these 4 tanks, but I am searching for the ideal tank for Solo Queue and the ideal tank for Arranged Team.

I feel like I'm missing a lot of information I need to tell you guys, but I'll be sure to reply back your comments! Thanks!

Apocalypse619

04-21-2011

I love Singed but the recent nerf makes singed at end game only a meat shield as he really cant do much dmg cause poison and ap doesnt stack as well as it should. i would go with shen or mundo. Mumu is good and i love playing him but hes on the low end of a tank imo.;

Umbrex

04-21-2011

To start it off, the tank you want to use will change with the situation, but overall, Shen is pretty much THE definition of a tank. He has a global shield, CC, and better survivability than Amumu, but also better damage output than Singed (especially due to recent nerfs x-x).

Steelflame

04-21-2011

Alistair is a pretty good tank, and cheap at 1350 IP. An Ali can seriously give teamies easy kills with his AoE knockup-stun and his knockback skill. He can easy heal him and his teamy in lane with his E skill, and his ult effectively makes him unkillable while active(it makes it so that, on top of his defences, he blocks 75% off ALL incoming damage except true damage(actually does stop ignite, even though thats true damage as well, only seen Olaf and Cho having TD anyway) and Cleanses all CCs on you(can be used while stun, supressed, silenced, ect and negates them and any other CCs on ya) and gives you added damage for a few seconds.

Just make sure you lane with some good DPS so they can take advantage of your skills.

Hanzy

04-21-2011

shen is the bomb, but u really do need your team to play well and not be spaz feeders, but cho is easyer to carry a game with and mega tanky, if u get a good farm at top and get a a kill or 2, wen your lvl 14ish u can wombo combo a softy and kill um

TheRapidOne

04-21-2011

none of the above

mr. ok

the rolliepollie

TurtleWorld

04-21-2011

Why no Rammus?

Lizto

04-21-2011

Sion, Rammus and Alistar can all do good jobs as tanks. If I have never tanked before Id probably get: Cho Gath, Sion or Amumu since theyre alot more build versatile, incase you dont like tanking/dont tank well, you will still be able to play AP and AD roles with them.

Cho Gath can be built into an extremely beefy (2.7k hp itemless at 18 if I remember correctly) caster with 3 nukes (Q and W all scale well with AP so if you land them, the carry is gonna get hurt) and strong autoattacks. Cho Gath can also be built as an on-hit champ, thanks to his high base AD and E, adding attack speed items aong with onhit effects make him a fun DPS champ to play.

Amumu, pretty much the same as Cho Gath, he can be built a beefy caster, thanks to all of his skills hell be hurting a ton. He can also be built as an on-hit champ- thanks to his passive- which is fun(lol someone mentioned it and I gave it a try, trololol I had a decent score too)

Sion, this one is the least tank of all the tanks, all he has to his name is a 1.5 sec stun, a 420hp shield (without AP)...or so it seems at first glance. He has his E which will give him alot of hp late game, even without much hp from items. His E also gives him good AD so his autoattacks do hurt a bit even though hes a tank AND his ult is a kinda bonus, increase his already good (for a tank) damage, heal himself(50/75/100% lifesteal) AND his allies for half of what he heals himself (25/37.5/50% lifesteal). And even if you dont like that path, you can still go AP for awesome nuking or AD for awesome damage with pro lifesteal.

Vimous

04-21-2011

Play Shen mate. Hands down best tank in the game. He is so versatile, works with pretty much everyteam comp. You can push a lane solo early/mid/late game and still be there for everyteam fight. You have great early harass and can pretty much solo almost every champ. Not to mention great escape/srvivability.

Next tank I would try could be a roaming alistar. Great for those solo que pub games.

Amumu is solid, but I feel only in a specific comp and an arranged team.

All in all, shen offers so much more. More utility.