[Directory] Complete List of Guides

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MLGN00BFR4GG3R69

01-08-2011

could some1 tell me why this guide isn't making it to his list?
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=404302

Seelyon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eledhan View Post
You're right...the issues of linking external resources is that you could potentially overwhelm the readers...

The only reason I even mention the other sites is that a lot of the guides on this website are not kept up to date either. There are only a few people (like myself) who actually keep their guides up to date...which is absolutely essential to a successful guide now that LoL is changing so rapidly. It seems there's a game-changing patch every other week now.

Last Whisper,Locket, Zhonya's, Black Cleaver? All of these changes have dramatically altered many champion's item and even pre-game builds...which good guide authors will consider immediately and make the necessary updates.

I dont write guides personally, but enjoy recommending them (i have my favs for sure). I have a pet hate for un-updated guides. Like you mentioned, lots of changeovers over the past few patches that have dramatically altered the game and charmpion builds arent reflected in enough guides.

I watch this thread almost religiously and i have quickly found which people are updating their guides and which ones arent, its probably about time i point them out for possible removal.

So far i think our best bet is simply a new thread with the entire first page saved for links (this should give us abit more room, if the issue cannot be resolved of course).

Glad to see someone cares about this thread as much as me, its just such a great thread for the consistent stream of new players around here.

Eledhan

01-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seelyon View Post
I dont write guides personally, but enjoy recommending them (i have my favs for sure). I have a pet hate for un-updated guides. Like you mentioned, lots of changeovers over the past few patches that have dramatically altered the game and charmpion builds arent reflected in enough guides.

I watch this thread almost religiously and i have quickly found which people are updating their guides and which ones arent, its probably about time i point them out for possible removal.
Yeah, I've been the same way...The problem is, finding just one guide that still contains something like Locket or Zhonya's, it's quite annoying...and those guides are usually some of the best in terms of format, ratings, and information. It's definitely sad to see such great information be lost due to inactivity.

Quote:
So far i think our best bet is simply a new thread with the entire first page saved for links (this should give us abit more room, if the issue cannot be resolved of course).
I think we probably have plenty of room for guides...but only those that are kept up-to-date. I believe a guide that falls 2-3 patches behind should be removed, but my opinion is probably a bit too aggressive.

Quote:
Glad to see someone cares about this thread as much as me, its just such a great thread for the consistent stream of new players around here.
Well, whenever I want to learn a new champ, it's really annoying to find that most of the guides are so out-dated. I've played this game long enough to know that the removal of Locket, the re-work of LW, Zhonya's, and BC, the addition of new items like the Ionian Boots of Lucidity, etc. have dramatically altered multiple champ's builds.

But what if I was a new player who didn't know about all those changes, I would be trying to find the item "Innervating Locket"...only to be called a "noob" by my teammates. Outdated guides, in my personal opinion, are making our community worse, not better. Keeping them on here just for reference is not helpful.

Thoughts?

UrgotToBeKidding

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-09-2011

Urgot - Game Winner Extraordinaire

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=416614

Seelyon

01-09-2011

Quote:
I think we probably have plenty of room for guides...but only those that are kept up-to-date. I believe a guide that falls 2-3 patches behind should be removed, but my opinion is probably a bit too aggressive.
Couldnt agree more, although it is abit aggressive. I know Aregionius has mentioned before that he doesnt like removing old guides if they still over valuable information (tips/masteries etc.). Although i agree that with so many rapid, big and recent changes alot of guides have to be removed (theres definetly quite a few that probably will never update the changes, and its up to the community (probably me & you :P) to point them out.

Quote:
Well, whenever I want to learn a new champ, it's really annoying to find that most of the guides are so out-dated. I've played this game long enough to know that the removal of Locket, the re-work of LW, Zhonya's, and BC, the addition of new items like the Ionian Boots of Lucidity, etc. have dramatically altered multiple champ's builds.

But what if I was a new player who didn't know about all those changes, I would be trying to find the item "Innervating Locket"...only to be called a "noob" by my teammates. Outdated guides, in my personal opinion, are making our community worse, not better. Keeping them on here just for reference is not helpful.

Thoughts?
Im the exact same, i enjoy playing lots of champions and i always go here when i try a new one, outdated guides are definitely frustrating, ive played close to 1000 games now and i can generally look past this and go.."okay i need a replacement for Zhonya's" or "how bout the new black cleaver instead". As most other league of legends with hundreds of wins would.

Of course like you mention the big issue with these outdated guides are for new players, and thats the whole point of guides, helping new players transistion into a game. League of Legends isnt like some FPS game where you know its WASD to move, mouse to shoot and you just pick whatever gun you like. Guides help reduce the learning curve and i only wish i had started reading them sooner when i first started.

Heat n Serve

01-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aregionius View Post

Why this is a problem

I've been using bit ly to link shrink because it gives me about a 20-25 character link versus some of the monsterously huge links we get from some guide writers. Leaguecraft is the biggest offender here since it makes links out of titles and a few of you have the tendancy to create mile long guide titles :P (bttp://leaguecraft.com/strategies/guide/809,Eve:%20An%20Expert's%20Guide%20to%20the%20Leag ue's%20True%20Assassin - makes the forums cry >_<)

Where this is going

Since that one example link above takes the place of 5-7 other potential guides with small links, it would limit what we're able to keep in this thread. Ultimately it would be nice to get the link shrinkers back, but barring that, I'm open to other ideas else we may have to end up canning some of the longer guides / leaguecraft which I'd rather not do.
Thanks for the feedback, Aregionius. I will pass this info to the rest of the Leaguecraft staff. I myself am hoping to get the url strings for our forum posts shortened. Since the software update our url strings have gotten kind of bulky.

I do have one tip for you, however:

Leaguecraft guides of the form
bttp://leaguecraft.com/strategies/guide/###,extremely%20long%20title
work without the "extremely long title part." You should just need the numeric guide identifier in the url string. The comma and anything after it is unnecessary. That should help to shorten some of your links up.

Heat n Serve

01-10-2011

Aregionius, you can shorten leaguecraft.com urls using our tool that was recently made public: tinylc.com

I've shortened all of my guide links for you:

Advanced Gangplank Guide: http://tinylc.com/d
Mordekaiser in 5 minutes: http://tinylc.com/e
Galio in 5 minutes: http://tinylc.com/f
Guide to Mathcrafting: http://tinylc.com/g
Jungle Malphite in 5 minutes: http://tinylc.com/h

Hopefully these don't get blocked...

EDIT: I see that you still haven't unbolded condon's "guides." Please standardize the formatting so guide authors aren't unfairly favored. Thanks.

Salvarth

01-11-2011

y did t0ggle get banned?

Aregionius

Senior Wrenchman

01-12-2011

Updated to here.

And more updates!

First the good news...All the guides should be working again!

Woo.

The links should all be repaired, if you find something wigging out please let me know. Thanks again to all of you who helped out with this process. I think we have a semi-permenant solution with the guides at the moment, so ostensibly everything should be back to normal.

Thanks also to Heat n Serve for the info on Leaguecraft, that made a pretty significant difference in the link length and it puts them more on par with the LoL forum links which is far less of a problem.

Changes

In order to keep things working, there'll have to be a few changes to acceptable submissions.

1. Link shrinkers don't work anymore, and if you find one that does, chances are it's going to get disabled. That's a permenant change for your protection (we've had issues with keyloggers) so please don't post them.

2. Because of that change, we're going to have to institute a maximum link size. I haven't settled on exactly what that's going to be, but here's the first victim:

Removed
This Patch's Jax by Dyrus

3. I'm also going to be a bit more heavy handed editing guide names when they go onto the thread. I know some of our guide writers spend time thinking up creative names so, sorry in advance, but they'll be able to read the full name in your thread.

4. I'm also going to start limiting the max number of guides for each champion, this will end up effectively around 10-12 guides per. This was already loosely in place, but it's going to start being more important now, if you want to write a guide for a thread that's full, recommend one to be removed first.

This will actually serve two purposes. First, it means that we should have enough room to fit all the guides, and second, it'll help reduce older clutter and outdated guides.

Other Random Thoughts

I really appreciate the time that a few of you have taken to think up new ideas. I'm trying to keep this thread as open and transparent as possible so everyone has an equal chance of getting in and helping out.

Quote:
I know Aregionius has mentioned before that he doesnt like removing old guides if they still over valuable information (tips/masteries etc.). Although i agree that with so many rapid, big and recent changes alot of guides have to be removed (theres definetly quite a few that probably will never update the changes, and its up to the community (probably me & you :P) to point them out.
The new max guide limit should help here, and we have some forum changes in the pipeline that should make sorting outdated items a bit easier in the future. I don't mind keeping "outdated" guides on the board so long as they still represent champion playstyle or have a strong discussion, builds tend to be supplementary to a good guide. You guys have been great in suggesting guides to be removed so please keep it coming.

Quote:
Also... why the heck does condon have his name bolded next to all of his "guides"?
I'm going to agree and disagree with you on this one. First off, I've removed the bolding, but it was done because Condon hasn't been around for a while and his stuff is starting to become a bit outdated.
Philisophically however, I have no problems highlighting certain guides. Condon got bolded because it combined good guide writing, with strategy, and high caliber prose that made the guides fun and interesting to read at a level which almost no one else has achieved (hence the copious number of replies). If someone else is working on that level with new material, the bolding may return in the future.

Also Imperius, your link doesn't work, so that guide can't even be considered.

Showmeyomoves