[Guide] Dr. Mundo: *Splash* in your face! v1.1

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EchoRex

03-01-2010

Listen.

For the nine millionth time. Mundo is not a tank. Mundo does not have the ability package to force a team fight, and can barely initiate a gank on a single opponent. The only tanking Mundo will be capable of, is if the other team is bad enough to take bait or if you're playing terribly and rushing them without a real tank initiating.

Atma's is a general waste of a slot without serious health stacking, which you cannot do on a champion that requires devotion to attack speed itemization. For roughly 700 more gold, you can take another Phantom Dancer which will both greatly increase DPS but also increase Survivability more than an Atma's ever will.

Force of Nature is ok, if you're Cho'gath or Jax. This item really doesn't help Mundo except with the Resist, and just like Mundo's passive, you have to concentrate on stacking health instead of stacking something that will make you a threat so you aren't ignored. Attack Speed and Crit.

Warmog's... Meh. If you have the gold and time to build this, why not save the parts/gold and build a Banshee's and Frozen Mallet so that you have actual survivability, a perma-snare, and health. It will cost more, but is a much more efficient use of the pieces and a stronger item progression from base to complete.

To actually survive, you need mitigation, whether from armor, resist, spell shields or dodge, not health stacking. This is doubly important with how effective health impacts incoming heals. It is always better to reduce the incoming damage than to increase the heal amount slightly.

Not to mention, Leaguecraft's base attack speed for Mundo is off by a decent bit.

Econael

03-02-2010

I'm not gonna stop tanking with Mundo just because you say he's not a tank.
You need to provide deeper reasoning for me to change my mind.

I agree that Atma's is a waste. My guide says so.

Did you read and actually try the guide?

Yeah, ingame the base attack is somewhat around 0.7

Banshee's is a waste on Mundo. He has no use for the mana and you can use quicksilver sash more effectively (you choose what to block).

@Bloodba7h
of course
you started telling me how to build Mundo
do whatever works for you, my guide is a guideline

EchoRex

03-02-2010

Really? You need more in depth explanation on what I said about initiation and forcing a fight, or is it that you don't understand how a lack of hard CC or AoE CC of any kind precludes tanking? Look at the abilities, think about what a tank's role is in this game.

I read the guide, the mere listing of Atma's as an option needs to be weeded out, because it is far inferior to any other Crit Chance or Damage item for a champion that cannot stack only health and be viable.

Banshee's? A waste? Here's a slight hint, you aren't building this item for the mana. This item is for effective survivability. Better resist, health, and a spell shield instead of the weak Cleanse from Quicksilver. Which is more effective due to taking less time, ignoring > removing, and being available more often, 30sec > 150s. Quicksilver is a great second item to Banshee's, especially if you're not running Cleanse and taking non Merc Treads boots, but a rather terrible replacement for Banshee's or Merc Treads.

This is just another guide on how to build a Mundo that can be safely ignored till last, it is capable of weak DPS, annoying Cleaver spam, and kill stealing with slow heavy hits.

Azelf

03-02-2010

Echo7, could you post your idea for mundo then? To each his own, but I'd love to see how other build him.

EchoRex

03-02-2010

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...t=51570&page=4

But yeah, have seen a few different ways that work rather well. They all depend upon getting enough attack speed to take advantage of Masochism while using life steal and mitigation to increase the effective healing Mundo does. If Mundo isn't able to put out appreciable damage quickly, what exactly is he doing to help the team other than standing there hoping someone wastes CC on him?

Bloodba7h

03-03-2010

Banshee's Veil / Quicksilver Sash is generally a waste on Mundo unless they're stacked to the balls in CC.

Mercury Treads and Burning Agony are more than enough to piss off anyone. Run Ghost/Cleanse for even more "LAWL NOPE" moments. I run Ghost/Flash for both defensive and offensive applications, but really, you never need to waste gold on mana for Mundo.

Treads/Visage/Runes is all the magic resist I really need as Mundo unless someone stacked MPen/Abyssal. If you're really feelin' the magic hurt, you can get Force of Nature, Guardian Angel, or Aegis of the Legion.

Everyone is saying that attack speed works, I guess. I have my doubts but I'm going for it next game. Thanks guys.

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=68913 <--this guide looks eerily similar to something I was about to try. Looks great.

daNNux

03-03-2010

The 2 last guides are by far superior to your build. 2 phantoms or 1 phantom +starks is a matter of preference. More dodge or more lifesteal.

Hits hard and fast, move fast and dodge fast. Much better overall i must say. Esp against phys carriers like ashe and teemo.

Econael

03-03-2010

to be honest, I'm lvl 16 and I have only played mundo as a tank so far
I wrote my guide because the other tank guides suck, but maybe you're right and mundo shouldn't be tanking in the first place
I'm intrigued by http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=68913 and will try it

my guide is a good attempt at tanking with him, gimme that at least :P

EchoRex

03-04-2010

Its not that your guide was poorly written or conceived, it was that the base assumptions of the champion were off by a large margin.

For instance, the base build in my guide can reach an effective HP of 9.6k vs physical and 7.5k vs magic (not including spell shield blocks every 30s) and reducing CC by 85%. While attacking at ~1.3/sec with 87 crit chance, 20 crit damage and moving at 470 before Sadism.

Unable to ignore me due to damage potential and unable to kill me due to BV/GA/Mercury combined with Sadism and Burning Agony.

But to get to that point, you have to invest in damage potential, which for Mundo is attack speed to capitalize on Masochism, so that you can farm and can get kills.

That guide by ObjectiveTruth shows a pretty decent armor shred build, goes back to the pre-EC buff days of Mundo and is rather violent when you learn Cleaver tosses and are able to get close to a glass cannon type. Definitely prefer the Brutalizer in the Stark's build in my guide uses, but the double life steal he proposes is going to make any other life steal champion blink when combined with Sadism.