Karthus Questions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BlackNadir

04-21-2011

Some people have told me to screw CDR and just pound Mag Pen and AP. How important is CDR vs Magic Pen?

Should you always go Sorc Boots or Ionian?

Archangel's or Rod of Ages?

Is there a 'core build' for Karthus?

Thanks!

kaleb bartlett

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-21-2011

CDR isn't as important on karth as on other champs because only 2 of his abilities have any CD worth noting. usually the only CDR i have is from the 9% from masteries. So from the options you give, always grab sorc boots, RoA, and Archangel, especially archangel but don't rush to get it, let the tear build you mana for a bit.

Goth Skunk

04-21-2011

The ONLY reason Karthus would ever need CDR is to spam Requiem, which can't be done even with maximum CDR.

Q is spammable. No CDR needed.
E is a toggle on and off. No CDR needed.
the cooldown on W is decent enough for any teamfight, initiate, or escape. It does not need to be reduced.

Kroghar

04-21-2011

I was writing an epic response, then accidentally hit the back button and lost it all.

So in summary, CDR is not needed, your abilities are spammable enough, just get blue golem buff whenever possible, and blue elixirs often.

I'll point you towards this Karthus Guide: http://leaguecraft.com/strategies/gu...us-wrong.xhtml Which pretty much says everything I was going to say.

You can start either with a Tear, or go straight for Catalyst > Rod of Ages. You will get focused so you'll want some survivability. Karthus has VERY low base hit points, you'll want either Rod of Ages or Rylais, I prefer Rylais for a touch less damage, but the added slow. Rabadons is a must. Void Staff if you notice everyone on the other team is packing Banshee's Veil.

Astral Yorae

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-21-2011

Cooldown on Kart helps a lot, because his foreballs can pop really fast. However, it's not vital.
I think the secret of item setup is adaptation. For the core, I would say only Magic Pen. So, let's discuss it a bit. Just to remember how Magic Pen works, first the -MR effect apply, then the flat spell pen and after all, the % spell pen.

Champs usually have 30 Magic Resist if they don't get masteries, runes or build items with such protection.
Let's supose you have arround 10 magic pen from Runes (you can have more). Also, let's count as if you have the magic pen mastery (15%)
Don't have rush in finishing boots. Let the game tell what you need first.

What should you get?
(1) Sorc Boots and Abyssal: Final MR = (MR - 50) * 0,85
(2) Ionian Boots and Void: Final MR = MR * 0,45
(3) Sorc Boots and Void Staff or Abyssal and Void Staff (Abyssal gives surviability but won't work on your ulti if you are far): Final MR = (MR - 30) * 0,45
(4) Sorc Boots, Void Staff and Abyssal: Final MR = (MR - 50) * 0,45

With that info, you can reach some conclusions depending on situation:
a) Let's say, if you are facing a team whose majority of players with few magic resist (trusting they can kill before dieing. happens a lot). Usually they will have less than 65 magic resist.
In that case, build (1) will overwhelm them.

b) If you face people who get a Banshee or FoN, you are facing people that will have atrround 85~100 magic resist (let's count as if it was 100 - the worst case).
Build (1) would drop it to only 43 MR, Build (2) to 42, Build (3) to 32 and Build (4) to 23.

After 70 MR or so, usually Void starts being more efficient.

That being told, I will say te setups I usually get as Kart:
-AA Staff (aways, as it sinergyzes with the others items I can get)
-Abadon Deathcap (same)
-Rilay (surviability and slow, that works great with your spells)
-Boots (usually Sorc)
-Lichbane (almost aways, usually as last item or the 5th, when you have enough AP to do high damage)
-Abyssal (for surviability when there is AP champs on their teams)
-RoA (to synergize with AA and more surviability when there is more than 1 true damage champs in enemy team - armors don't metter against true damage, only HP). If you chose to make a RoA, finish it as 1st item so you get the stacks faster.
-Void (when there are too many high MR champs)
-Deathfire Grasp (when there are people stacking HP withou resists...)
-Haunting Guise (when I just want to be boring when people think a 50 MR item can save them)

I don't use spell vamp. It can be good yes, but if you play wise you won't need it. Even if you die, well... you are Karthus.. soon you will be back again.
With Rylay, you can use your ulti to slow enemies and help your team to scape/chase if you are far.

I usually play safe and keep ultimate for key moments. Unless really focused or CCed, you won't die much with Karth, as all your spells will slow and your barrier will make enemies almost stick on ground with Rilay.

Regarding CDR:
Using Uttility and the Ofense CDR masteries would give you almost 10%. With Elixir and Blue, you can have enough (not to mention Yellow Runes, not the best, but help).
If you make Death Fire then... it's all you need to max.

tumultuoustempus

04-21-2011

As others have mentioned, CDR is not as useful for Karthus as it is for other champions.

You should also consider this:

Karthus will run 9/0/21 (very standard), which gives 9% CDR.

Karthus is highest priority for blue buff (Anivia maybe being the only exception). This is another 25%.

This puts you at 34/40%. You should also be picking up blue elixir fairly regularly, which puts you at 44/40 (over the cap). You could even argue dropping 2 points from the CDR reduction mastery in utility, but I'll leave that up to you.

The two main points are: 1) CDR isn't as relevant for Karthus as it is for others. 2) Karthus can achieve maximum CDR anyway without building items for it.

Hope this helps!

BlackNadir

04-21-2011

Thanks for the input on CRD, all. CRD rushing Karth's ulitmate isn't worth what you could be spending on beefing up his damage.

On that note, how necessary is mejai's in a standard Karthus build? I would think you would want to build it early and just start getting stacks through kills/assists from his ultimate. I don't see anyone shouting about it, or even mentioning it, here, though.

zoologist

04-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleb bartlett View Post
CDR isn't as important on karth as on other champs because only 2 of his abilities have any CD worth noting. usually the only CDR i have is from the 9% from masteries. So from the options you give, always grab sorc boots, RoA, and Archangel, especially archangel but don't rush to get it, let the tear build you mana for a bit.
I would actually say yes to rushing Archangel's because of all of the mana regen.