Is it me, or is Maokai...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DramaticBear

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-21-2011

More of a burst assassin then a tank?

HowDoIMacro

04-21-2011

its you..

DramaticBear

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDoIMacro View Post
its you..
Have you tried playing as a burst assassin with Maokai?

Because he's really good at in the first 25 minutes.

Quenthal

04-21-2011

His dmg is compairable even without AP items due to his decent base dmg on his spells early game. And he does have a very offensive kit, but it is geared twords being used along side of other champions to nab them kills imo.

Its a fun spec to play dont get me wrong. I do it every once and a while in bot games but in the long run in real games you are gimping yourself not building mostly tank, as you are a melee range support you will be blown up otherwise.

Just my oppinion.

kwjnfkjsdg

04-21-2011

just look at maokai's abilities. they all scream tank.

most burst assassins have a long range gap closer that allows them to do hundreds, thousands, of damage the safely run away.kass has riftwalk, akali has shroud/shadow dance, leblanc has distortion, even tristana has rocket jump.

building maokai as a burst assassin means snaring an enemy, unleashing your very mediocre burst that may or may not even kill yuor enemy, and just flat out die.

Rawrful

04-21-2011

SHHHHH! Holy **** man, stop talking about it, do you want to get him nerfed?!

No really, unless you have no idea how he plays, you can easily get every single one of your spells off on someone (Including a double sapling proc, which is a guaranteed thing if you do the rotation right) you burst harder than any of you (minus OP) seem to realize. 2.3 AP ratio combined on his abilities. That is in the mid range of the burst casters. At max level with no AP and his ult sucking no damage, he does 1130 damage with his abilities with 3 AoEs. Compare that to Annie, who does 1030, and has worse AP ratios.

Go do the math. His AP ratios are high, and his base damage for all his abilities is high. As a tank, he is UP because every other tank does the job better than him. As an AP caster, he is secretly very, very strong. Not OP, but very powerful.

Just remember, the rotation is snare-sapling-smash-ult. Snare has longer range than Annies fireball and holds the enemy long enough for your sapling to double proc guaranteed (Did I mention that Sapling with 3 ranks in it at level 5 does 45% more damage than Tibbers at 6 with a double proc?). Smash does damage, is ranged and slows the enemy so you can land it with ease, and his ult has long range and is a large AoE that you just toggle on and off so you can hit them no matter how far away they got.

deribou

04-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawrful View Post
SHHHHH! Holy **** man, stop talking about it, do you want to get him nerfed?!

No really, unless you have no idea how he plays, you can easily get every single one of your spells off on someone (Including a double sapling proc, which is a guaranteed thing if you do the rotation right) you burst harder than any of you (minus OP) seem to realize. 2.3 AP ratio combined on his abilities. That is in the mid range of the burst casters. At max level with no AP and his ult sucking no damage, he does 1130 damage with his abilities with 3 AoEs. Compare that to Annie, who does 1030, and has worse AP ratios.

Go do the math. His AP ratios are high, and his base damage for all his abilities is high. As a tank, he is UP because every other tank does the job better than him. As an AP caster, he is secretly very, very strong. Not OP, but very powerful.

Just remember, the rotation is snare-sapling-smash-ult. Snare has longer range than Annies fireball and holds the enemy long enough for your sapling to double proc guaranteed (Did I mention that Sapling with 3 ranks in it at level 5 does 45% more damage than Tibbers at 6 with a double proc?). Smash does damage, is ranged and slows the enemy so you can land it with ease, and his ult has long range and is a large AoE that you just toggle on and off so you can hit them no matter how far away they got.
That's pretty interesting. When I did play Maokai during free week, I also felt he was leaning towards the caster side. He really only has one "tank-like" skill, otherwise if you build him full tank he can be pretty easily ignored in any fight.

I might try AP Maokai, since his ratios are so high (never REALLY noticed that though)

Rawrful

04-21-2011

Yeah, he has a lot of support for a nuker. Where someone like Annie has an AoE stun and Moakai only has a snare and a slow, he comes with top level damage output as well as a large damage reduction AoE, and the slow/snare combination to set up kills if he is in a duo lane or ganking.

Draghinaazzo

04-21-2011

whenever I play a squishy like kass or ez, maos curbstomp me so badly -.-

DoransTroll

04-21-2011

If anything, he's a tanky, siege mage similar to Gragas. They can bombard from range, good at stopping enemies, but lack hard interrupt against channeled champs.
Hell, their passives are almost like a different flavor of hp on cast!