Last Hitting & the current Meta

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Eledhan

04-21-2011

Greetings Forum Dwellers!

I have been thinking lately about the insistence of opponents to push their lanes, and I've come to a tentative conclusion that I want to run by the community and see what thoughts this conclusion generates.

I've recently switched to a lower damage Ashe build, and in doing so, find myself having to hone my last-hitting abilities quite a bit. The issue is, though, I have to wait so long to get that last hit, that my opponent usually pushes the lane to the tower (solo mid is assumed throughout this topic).

Now, I realize this is generally bad practice for him, since he is either missing out on some experience, or is opening himself up to ganking. However, I find that with such low AD, I cannot beat my tower for CS, or at least it's MUCH harder.

In addition, he is pushing my tower and damaging it while I can do very little to counter this. Granted, I could go with my early AD build and stop this, but I'm just curious whether the new pushing meta (even though it was scaled back a bit) is making last hitting less viable now.

So...for a solo mid with weak last hitting capabilities, is it better to keep the lane pushed away from tower, or to let the tower take more hits than you would if you had better last hitting capabilities? I'm leaning toward keeping the lane stuck at middle, if at all possible, even if that means auto-attacking instead of last-hitting. This is only on champs that have poor last-hitting builds/capabilities with which to compete with their tower.

Thoughts?

I Like Big Dunks

04-21-2011

Auto-attack the minions to push back and get the lane where you want it.

Liam Parmesan

04-21-2011

If you notice the enemy champ is someone who's auto attacking the minions regularly, then just step up your attacks to more than last hitting. Also if your minion wave if about to die off and your next wave isn't there yet, kite the minions a little bit to keep them out of turret range. Obviously you shouldn't give up FB just to kite minions though.

Leirkov

04-21-2011

If your opponent is going to freely push the lane, they probably want to keep you at your tower so you have a harder time last hitting than you do.

The best counter to this is auto attacking back enough so that you're not at your tower, but you're in front of it so you can freely last hit, and your opponent has to be open for ganks.

Ashe is the quintessential "defensive" laner. She's not going to impress anyone by winning the lane, but you can last hit with W easily while also harassing with W and her fantastic 600 range.

tumultuoustempus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-21-2011

1. Practice last hitting under the tower. It's a difficult, but essential skill for high level play.

2. Call for ganks early and often. They'll learn to stop pushing so hard.

The Panda Mayne

04-21-2011

I find that last hitting vs pushing is only a problem for the first 8 minutes of the games or so. In that short of a time there really is nothing your opponent can do to your tower in solo lane (in general ofc). After those first 8 or so minutes your champ should have per level attack damage ( especially ashe) that last hitting and keeping the other champ pushed back should be fairly easy.So sacrificing some his on tower/ letting him push you is worth it if you can keep up decent last hits until your able to farm and push at the same time.
PS: Ashe's W is great for last hits if you have low attack damage, and if your not planning on using too much manna ganking or trying to kill.