I love the new fair Ryze.

12345 ... 6
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tyvor

02-28-2010

INTRO

I'm a mage lover at heart, and before I got into this game, I was most excited about that tattooed bad*** named Ryze. His skillset, appearance and lore were all right up my alley, and I could hardly wait to try him. Unfortunately when I got around to it in the beta, I was saddened to learn that he was completely unbalanced and didn't require much o thought to play (or dominate). I lost interest, and moved onto my new favorite, Fiddlesticks (who also needed reworking, but to a lesser extent).

Upon reading the new changes made to Ryze a while back, I got really excited for trying him out, and I'm so glad I did.

RANTS

A few things that sadden me about Ryze though:

1) When people still say he's overpowered and needs a nerf.
2) When people build him for AP and then say he's weak and needs a buff.
3) When people level Spell Flux and then say he's weak and needs a buff.

1) I don't believe he's overpowered in the slightest. His spells are fairly short range, especially his snare, for good reason. He's not amazing at chasing, without a slow. He's fairly squishy and doesn't have much in the way of escaping abilities, other than casting Rune Prison and running. Basically he can be shut down pretty easily (and usually is) if played incorrectly.

2) The second point is that Ryze isn't as reliant on AP as he was...his spells all have low AP coefficients and he benefits much more from mana to beef up his low-cooldown Overload ability plus the longevity it brings for laning. I always rush a Tear of the Goddess to get the mana stacks flowing, then boots (Usually Mercury Treads for survivability), Catalyst, finish Archangel's Staff, then Veil. After that it's Frozen Heart and usually a void staff. The AP gained from Archangel's Staff and the Void Staff I find are plenty enough for Ryze, it's mana and cooldown reduction that I want when I play him. I think the trick is to find a balance between AP, mana, and magic resist for him.

3) Finally, Spell Flux. I'm not sure why people level this right away, it gains very little in damage and nothing in the way of cooldown reduction or bonus effects of any kind only gaining increased mana cost and slight damage increase. Compared to Overload, which gets 1 second taken off each level which in turn increases synergy with your passive and other abilities. Even levelling Rune Prison is better for the increased duration It might seem negligible, but those few seconds of snare duration can be the difference between a kill or getting away from attackers. I usually get 1 of everything to start, then level Overload and Rune Prison back and forth picking up Desperate Power when it's available. I use Spell Flux for last hits and applying the debuff so my Overload and Rune Prison hit harder, just my preference. My friend completely ignores Spell Flux until after he gets his ultimate, opting for as many points into Rune Prison as he can, then Overload when he can't. Apparently his playstyle revolves around harassing and whittling away with rank 1 Overload and then finishing with his high rank Rune Prison which is devastating early game.

CONCLUSION

Sorry for the novel, that's my piece on Ryze. Great hero and I recommend him to anyone that enjoys mage classes and tattoos. He has amazing farming, harassing, 1v1 and team fighting potential. His passive is probably my biggest favorite in the game, it allows creative use and slight micromanaging of his abilities, and makes him a lot more interesting than he appears. Thank you for changing him Riot, and keep up the great work!

Chillspawn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-28-2010

I build my Ryze the same way you do. I usually get a soul shroud early for the mana and cooldown. People say he is OP because if he's not fighting tower huggers, he can basicly flash next to the person, use all his skills and get a basicly guaranteed kill early game. If he emphasises on that early game dominance and gets a mejais with plenty of stacks, he can eventually take away 3/4 hp's of a full team if they are all bunched up. I've seen a really fed Ryze get a pentakill with all of his skills. Pentakill from full to dead in around 4 seconds is NOT cool.

Tyvor

02-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillspawn View Post
I build my Ryze the same way you do. I usually get a soul shroud early for the mana and cooldown. People say he is OP because if he's not fighting tower huggers, he can basicly flash next to the person, use all his skills and get a basicly guaranteed kill early game. If he emphasises on that early game dominance and gets a mejais with plenty of stacks, he can eventually take away 3/4 hp's of a full team if they are all bunched up. I've seen a really fed Ryze get a pentakill with all of his skills. Pentakill from full to dead in around 4 seconds is NOT cool.
That may be true, but he's no more OP than Annie is to be honest. Both can absolutely decimate (no pun intended) people, but both can be shut down quite easily as well.

Also, anyone fed with Mejai's stacks is going to stomp hard, just a fact.

Shredon

02-28-2010

If pressing 2 buttons and taking the entire enemies team down 50%+ isnt OP, I don't know what is.

Ryze needs fixed, badly.

Tyvor

02-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altzae View Post
If pressing 2 buttons and taking the entire enemies team down 50%+ isnt OP, I don't know what is.

Ryze needs fixed, badly.
And which 2 buttons would those be exactly? Desperate Power+Spell Flux/Overload?

Either way if you just spread out a bit AoE damage is not going to be a problem...it only hurts when the whole team is humping each other going for the tank/carry.

I rest my case, Ryze is just as "OP" as Annie is.

ChaosGopherSucks

02-28-2010

Ryze isn't OP. Raising 2 buttons and maybe taking down 1 person is fine, b/c Ryze is gonna die RIGHT afterwards, so I'm totally fine with that.

Tyvor

02-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunster View Post
Ryze isn't OP. Raising 2 buttons and maybe taking down 1 person is fine, b/c Ryze is gonna die RIGHT afterwards, so I'm totally fine with that.
I completely agree, and as I said, it only hurts when the team is all stacked together, otherwise it deals reasonable damage and then Ryze is left without cooldowns and useless for a short time, time that could be used to take him out, CC or ignore him.

Shredon

02-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyvor View Post
And which 2 buttons would those be exactly? Desperate Power+Spell Flux/Overload?

Either way if you just spread out a bit AoE damage is not going to be a problem...it only hurts when the whole team is humping each other going for the tank/carry.

I rest my case, Ryze is just as "OP" as Annie is.
And what are you going to do is most of your team is melee in group battles? Take turns running in and hitting? I know the majority of people are hurr ranged classes but that doesn't mean some teams aren't mostly melee. Ryze is just too op when it comes to group battles.

Sure, Ryze might die right afterwards but it doesn't matter if your team gets aced because Ryze can press 2 buttons.

The simple fact that you have to make a thread and say hes fair and balanced sure says a lot. Good try for trying to keep your OP character secured but I'm sure there's a nerf on the way.

Tyvor

02-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altzae View Post
And what are you going to do is most of your team is melee in group battles? Take turns running in and hitting? I know the majority of people are hurr ranged classes but that doesn't mean some teams aren't mostly melee. Ryze is just too op when it comes to group battles.

Sure, Ryze might die right afterwards but it doesn't matter if your team gets aced because Ryze can press 2 buttons.

The simple fact that you have to make a thread and say hes fair and balanced sure says a lot. Good try for trying to keep your OP character secured but I'm sure there's a nerf on the way.
Well, I'm honestly not trying to secure him or save him for changes. It's Riot's game and they'll do what they want with it, regardless of what I say.

If Ryze is so incredibily easy, maybe you should go try playing him? I've said it many times already, but if you're calling him OP you might as well say Annie is too, even though they're both squishy as hell, can be shut down easily and lack escape mechanics.

Judging from your hostile and narrow-minded responses, I'd extrapolate that you're probably the guy that runs in and gets Rune Prisoned followed by being a channel for Spell Flux which decimates your team. That or you're the guy that runs next to Ryze's targets and eats their AoE damage.

Either way, perhaps you should try playing Ryze to find his weaknesses, or playing differently rather than crying for nerfs.

Lagoon7

03-01-2010

Ryze has the lowest range out of all the nukers, and unless your team is stupid enough to get within range of him before the teamfight even starts, he fails at teamfights too.

Teamfights usually last for 2-6 seconds at max, after that everyone is running/chasing or splitting up/grouping up. In other words, you get to use your combo once, and your useless until the the teamfight ends, which if your team lost it, your usually dead too.

Ryze is one of the WORST teamplayer chars, and has **** range. The only thing he is really good for is stomping noobs. The kind of noobs who run to the forums to QQ about how a ryze stomped their entire team.

12345 ... 6