Quick questions - heroes for beginner

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

itzMorglum

08-26-2009

Hi there,

I'm browsing this forum since yesterday, got to play several matches too.
What I would really ask you - I want to try different styles of gameplay and would need advice which heroes are best for someone who's just beginning.

My favourite so far is Ashe, but that's ranged DPS, what would you advice for melee, nuke, caster?

Apologies if that's written somewhere in one of many guides posted here, but I just got enough time to read 2-3 basic ones so far

Cheers.

Yuralz

08-26-2009

Ranged DPS - Ashe
Melee DPS- Jax
Caster - Ryze

itzMorglum

08-26-2009

Thanks highly appreciated!

Gimpb

08-26-2009

Ashe's skirmishing playstyle makes her great for getting a feel for the flow of the game. With other heroes you have to take bigger gambles but with ashe you can apply pressure and contribute without much danger in many situations.

I know I tend to play smart when I select Ashe. It's something about the mentality brought on by the character's play style I think. It makes me more aware because I know I'm screwed if I get caught at short range. That awareness mentality will serve you very well.

For meele, judicator's pretty easy to play but imo, although jax is extremely powerful right now, he's not an easy begginer character. It took me more time to get decent with him than most of the characters I learn.

For casters, I'd suggest trying fiddlesticks first. The reason for this is most new players I see struggle in the lanes and if you grab the golem buff before it spawns (can be done solo, regardless of your setup) you can absolutely dominate pretty much any lane--even if you're at a considerable experience disadvantage. It doesn't make you invincible of course but as long as you don't step in some really deep @#$% you should dominate your lane as fiddle with a golem buff.

Warwick is also a pretty good begginer character. He should get you some low effort kills and isn't very complicated.

Mr Tibbers

08-26-2009

I started off with Rammus myself. What's hard about stacking armor and powerballing into opponents?

Nothing.

Admonished

08-26-2009

Right now I'd say gemknight is kinda op and easy to use. You can get a lot of mileage out of him for very little effort.

MaximalBeast

08-26-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admonished View Post
Right now I'd say gemknight is kinda op and easy to use. You can get a lot of mileage out of him for very little effort.
I wouldn't call Taric op, good, but not overpowered. I've sent multiple Tarics to their graves; just don't solo him as he's obviously a tank and requires some backup. Anyway he's also a good hero to start with as he can heal, stun, and deal decent damage with shatter (which as a passive increases your armor by 10% I believe). Annie's also good for noobs as her abilities are pretty straightforward as well.

Vindico Atrum

08-27-2009

But annie is weak as hell and you'll die alot. Stack AP and you have so low HP you die to anything. Stack HP and past mid-game your abilities can't hurt anyone. Either way, that 5k HP Nunu is gonna rock you... Annie isn't for noobs.

Mirax

Recruiter

08-27-2009

I'd say ashe is probably the best for new people. However that doesn't discount continuing on and specializing with her. She is my favorite hero by far she teaches last hitting and does it well with the increased hit percentage. Comming off of a 4 year Dota career I am pretty much still exclusively playing ashe, learning how to hit full map ult's and becomming more efficient overall. Just becasue Ashe and Gem are "easy" hero's doesnt mean you should discount them from being quite hard to master and use to their fullest.

Logo

08-27-2009

Judicator is a pretty good starter hero. Her abilities all serve well to get her out of tight situations and overall has good survivability.

Jax and Ashe are also good choices.

Right now, given the current game situation, I'd recommend newbies to stay away from caster heroes until they're comfortable with the game. There's just not a good caster hero that's easy to pick up. You can play Ryze or Fiddle but they're insanely squishy.