Low Elo Ranked Games: How do you win?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TurtleWorld

04-19-2011

Okay, first of all, I want to make sure everyone knows this is not another thread whining about Elo hell. I have only recently started playing ranked games and am currently standing at 3 wins and 1 loss in solo queue. I do not currently have an Elo yet but I assume it is about the 1200 mark where you start. My question is:

How do you contribute the most to your team win in low Elo games?

Should you play: Carry, Tank, or Support?

Like I have said, I do not have much ranked experience but I have watched my friend play quite a bit of ranked games. He is currently stuck in Elo hell where every game he gets 4 people that instalock without going for team comp, leaving their team without a tank. He usually ends up playing a tank but his ability to win is then hampered by his carry's inability to carry as he plays carries and is better at carries than he is at tanking. What position contributes most to a game? I've heard more than a few solutions.

Playing a carry will obviously allow you to carry your team to a win, however, a carry must rely on their tank to do well.

Playing a tank, on the other hand, will make it so that you have to rely on your teammate's ability to carry, which is something you cannot do in Elo hell.

Playing a support gives you a bit of everything but without a good carry it is still difficult for you to pull off a win.

How do you win? Which champion archetype will contribute most to a game where you cannot solidly depend on your teammates.

Ninja Rages

04-19-2011

Cho Gath. That is how I win.

k3ü kevin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

04-19-2011

assuming you are 1200 elo, you will most likely be last or second last pick which means you probably have to tank/jungle tbh with you unless the others are feeling generous. just pick a role that isnt filled, bothers me when i see people who instalock something and does not ask the team what they feel comfortable playing as. just my input though, dont have to follow . gl

*edit: im assuming you are talking about low solo queue

malphismia

04-19-2011

These are the qualities of champions that you should use:

1) Some form of CC (knock up is the best, stun is second best)
-stunning a team for 2 seconds late-game can prevent hundreds of damage instantly

2) A ranged skill that does aoe and allows you to farm safely (this allows you to get high CS)
-learning to farm/lasthit for items is crucial to carrying

3) Able to deal damage safely from range (this allows you to build carry)
-positioning always beats health/mitigation, melee carries like gangplank can always get instagibbed, which is why he's generally bad

The next best quality is an escape mechanism, but it's not a requirement. Cleanse+Flash/Ghost can remedy a non-escape champ.

preparetobeowned

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-19-2011

Try using tanky charecters. Not necessarily tanks but tanky dps like Irelia, Jarvan, Xin Zhao and tanky casters like Ryze, Vlad, and Swain and tanky ranged dps like Urgot. The tankiness can help you carry without being fully reliant on a good tank.

Gunflame

04-19-2011

Chogath... jungle trundle

Pyroxite

04-19-2011

Find a couple champs that you enjoy playing and are good at and play them exclusively. Choosing champs based on what your teammates are demanding will get you a quick ticket to ELO hell.

ErgonomicAxe

04-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by preparetobeowned View Post
Try using tanky charecters. Not necessarily tanks but tanky dps like Irelia, Jarvan, Xin Zhao and tanky casters like Ryze, Vlad, and Swain and tanky ranged dps like Urgot. The tankiness can help you carry without being fully reliant on a good tank.
I like this advice. My experience with low ELO was that it was all about individual success, since teamfight coordination was poor. Also at all ELO's it seems that 50% of games are essentially won in the teamfight phase. Hence you should pick tough characters with whom you get a solid k/d ratio by yourself. You should be able to play all roles, because it handicaps your team if you can't, and you should even have counterpicks if possible. However if you get the chance to solo I'd grab some tough champ who can beat most opponents in the laning phase, and not worry about carrying. If I were back at that ELO I'd pick Mordekaiser and just eat people up.

xxsinged420xx69

04-19-2011

Very simply, 2 most effective ways to improve ELO:
1. Don't make mistakes.
2. Don't rage, and prevent your team from raging.

RaulGarcia3

04-19-2011

You lose because you owe people 15$ bro