Mordekaiser: The Metal MeatGrinder

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sentarshaden

02-27-2010

First off Morde is kinda new and while I've tried a great deal of builds with him at this point it's impossible for me to have tried everything if you have comments or suggestions plz feel free to leave them I'll look into them and edit this accordingly. But I know many people are excited to try him and are a bit lost so this is what I've discovered.

First off his abilities:

Q) Ace of Spades:
Damages 3 nearby enemies if there are nearby enemies, if there are none, hes does double damage to a single enemy.

W) Creeping Death:
A metal shard shield that is DPS while adding to armor.

E) Siphon of Destruction:
Does damage in a cone, and adds to your shield.

R) Children of the Grave:
Does negligible dps but if the target dies under this spell you get some of his stats and now control a slightly reduced version of them.

Pregame:

Runes: Runes i'm using armor pen red's, Dodge yellows, cooldown Blues, with armor pen/health Quens.

Masteries: I go 0/21/9 Make sure to pick up improved Cleanse and Ghost.

Summoner Spells: I prefer Cleanse and Ghost, Flash and Exhaust could also be sub'd in there if you really want kills early game. But esp late game people will be trying to CC you that the Cleanse is a must.

For spells I follow this build
:
1. Siphon
2. Creeping
3. Siphon
4. Ace
5. Siphon
6. Children
from here on priority is as follows
Ult > Siphon > Creeping > Ace
I do this because Ace relies heavily on your own damage and only gets a slight damage buff along with a shorter cooldown with each point put into it. Creeping also significantly increases your ability to 1v1 and survive ganks

Items:
1. Regrowth Pendant (Great lane survivability and allows you to spam your spells better)
2. Sheen
3. Boots (I like merc or ninja depending on the team)
4. Phage > Triforce (you will be spaming your spells so often that this items is essential
5. Vampire Scepter
6. Rylai's (This makes it impossible for your opponent to escape you, also you do so much aoe that in team fights their whole team will be slowed)
-At this point you need to decide if you are having trouble living or killing
7. Bloodthirster or Force of Nature
8. Infinity Edge or Banshee's

Game Play Tips:
Morde has an amazing lane presence. Use Siphon to harass the champs in your lane make sure to hit as many units as you can when you use it, also last hit with it. Siphon is your best friend.
Morde has 2 true aoe's and a multi target spell, and he's not limited by mana so you should have the most last hits in the game easily, if you don't your doing something wrong.
After you've farmed up your sheen and maybe a boot you are ready to begin slaughtering your enemies and using their souls against them. I suggest not using your ult to kill, it's damage is VERY low. Toss it on someone who is obviously gonna die and watch your stats jump up and now you have a very powerful pet to kill a tower after the fight.
I have discovered playing mid as Morde is very easy and quite potent. One kill on your part and you have 2 heroes pushing on their tower, past lvl 8 you can easily kill their tower right after they die with the help of their soul.
Again you have a lot of Aoe all of which feeds you shield, in team fights DON'T be scared, you should have cleanse if they try and CC you. Charge right in and AoE them, use your W on someone who is getting targeted and in the middle of the fight. The first person to die should have your ult on them right before they go down and suddenly the fight becomes 6v4. Many times this will result in the other team fleeing and if you have your rylai's just toss your W on the fastest teammate and watch them slow the other team and continue to aoe feeding your shield, because of this enjoy those creeps that get in your way and fill your shield and ignore that pesky tower.
In any situation the worst thing you can do is drop everything and run, remember using your spells makes you a lot harder to kill, if you are being chased, wait for cooldowns to finish then stop fill your shield on their savory blood and turn the tide of the fight

Well this is what I've found to be useful while playing Morde, I will adjust the guide to any advantages I find.

zarthforums

02-27-2010

I prefer Ace before creeping. The dps from creeping is neglible early in the game and armor is just as useless early on. On the other hand, Ace can be used to farm or harass the enemies in the lane if the wander too close.

Peinbringer

03-06-2010

I wonder why Sheen is bought so early?

Half of the item does nothing on Mordekaiser. Wouldn't it be better to buy Sheen as the last part of Trinity Force?

Toxic Nerve

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-06-2010

half the items are a waste of gold because mordekaiser can't make use of mp, and the % ability that gets added onto your attacks is negligible.

FABIOForever

03-06-2010

Why the regrowth pendant? If you're getting your shield broken through enough early on that a rejuve bead wouldn't cut it then you're playing Morde wrong. This is especially since your build doesn't bother upgrading the pendant to anything until the game is practically over. The rejuve beads can upgrade into a modestly priced warden's and even if you don't want warden's the beads are cheap enough that it's no big expense.

AFKray

03-06-2010

stopped reading this guide when the OP doesn't even know the correct name for his abilities.

It's Mace of Spades.

Fbsunny

03-06-2010

why do you get armor pen runes, and then you focus on making your spells better? It would seem far more advantageous to get magic pen runes.

Ęzeal

04-14-2010

This build.... what are you going for? If you build him dps, please build him correctly. But anyways, don't build him dps. Build him tank. And triforce? Sounds terrible, although I haven't tried it. But I have with other characters, and it sounds *stupid* as a mord item.

HuntardHuntard

04-14-2010

Okay i totally dont agree with this build im sorry. I start with ---
Boots of Swiftness
Warmog's Armor
Leviathan
Rylai's Crystal Scepter
Abyssal Scepter

But depending on the game and champions i also use these 3
Sunfire Cape
Guinsoo's Rageblade
Force of Nature

For me it all depends on the other team and my teams champions. If we have more then one tank then i'll go for
Warmog's Armor
Boots of Swiftness
Leviathan
Rylai's Crystal Scepter
Abyssal Scepter
Guinsoo's Rageblade

This is kind of a Hybrid build for damage and tanking. Or if the other team has alot of AP then i'll obviously sub in the force of nature. Also i play very aggressive with Mordekaiser so i go Siphon of Destruction and Mace of Spades first. I dont get Creeping Death until 7 or later depending on the game. You can solo or lane with this build and it is very easy to farm just spam Siphon and Mace as much as possible and keep your shield up. Also try to use Siphon of Destruction on the Champions as much as possible and weaken them.
The spells i get in 5v5 are Flash and Ignite. Flash makes it an easy escape or kill whichever you need. I dont get exshast in 5v5 because there are plenty of other heroes that have it or have some kind of cc and slow. In 3v3 though i get Exhaust and Ignite. Ignite is essential on Morde because Ignite + Children of the Grave is almost an instant kill.
Also with this build i always get 4.5-5k hp.

bahamutkaiser

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-25-2010

I'm new at Mordekaiser, but he's my favorite and I've been racking up alot of wins lately due to him, closing my gap. I'm still trying to learn what runes I want, but I still utilize alot of characters, so I perfer to get rune pages that are as universally useful as possible.

I can't say that I agree with everything here, but I will say that there are alot of good points. Triforce is way better than Frozen Mallet. Like the in game tips say, sometimes more damage is better defense because of his shield. I don't know if frozen mallet offers greater slowing power, but being able to move faster, have higher critcal, attack speed and reduced cooldowns and some additional ap damage tack on which will somewhat count if your using items like rylas will greatly improve his damage output, and give him some additionl movement for escaping too. It's almost a completely superior item so I don't see why not exchange it, 400 health isn't going to matter if your doing more damage to add to lifesteal and shield absorbtion.

The rylas scepter is pretty much genious, I don't know why I didn't pick it earlier, it's certianly better than some of the dumb stuff I've been buying, I even tried haunting guise.......

With all the slowing and some additional movement speed I could afford to use a different pair of boots and greatly focus on alternate needs, whether it be attack speed or magic resistance, which magic has been my only threat with most of my builds.

Beyond that I'd like to imput that using starks fervor and thorn mail has allowed me to pretty much do what I call, "walk on peoples faces", to the point where many games I just march up to towers and kill them with 2 or 3 foes hitting me in the back, than turn around and kill all of them.... by myself. 2 and 3 foes is a regular with these two items, between the damage MordeKaiser puts out and and the damage he reduces or recovers and the damage the do to themselves, most opponents just fold over from their own attack wile I'm bashing down something else, It instantly wins vs all newbs.

I would definetly consider something else for armor if spells are the flavor of the game, hell I don't even know if thorn mail activates on ranged, I had 1 game where some ranged opponents picked me appart, but melees are usually where the overbearing power comes from, and I've never fought anything that could face Mordekaiser in melee combat with thorn mail and starks fervor, usually any 2 melees.

I have to end with saying I pick starks fervor because it adds attack speed and armor reduction rather than additional damage like bloodthirster, which is basically equivalent, except that starks offers attack speed, lifesteal, armor reduction and health regen in an aura, so in a gank your whole team gets a major boost, 1 on 1 they may be close, but it's no comparison in ganks, and it helps alot with certain teammates like Jax.

Feel free to analyze this further, but I'd suggest you try it because the results speak for themselves.

I do have some newby questions though, like does sunfire cloak damage add to your shields imput, and exactly how much frozen mallet reduces movement speed.