Orrin, The Knight of the League

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ahrtimmer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-17-2011

For those of you who don't know. I am Ahrtimmer, and to DeviantArt members, I go under the name Tel-Rasha

I like to dabble in champion concepts, and I think I may have found something that the League is really missing.

See what you think.

Orrin, The Knight of the League

Not all minions are created equal, as proven by Orrin. Created in a freak accident within the summoner training halls, Orrin was created not as a mindless construct like his brethren, but with a fully formed consciousness and personality. All of the eyes in the room turned to stare at this bizarre red minion, stunned by the sudden appearance of something which all in the room had thought was impossible. Orrin quickly looked around, and upon spying that which his eyes sought, leaped through the air, landing atop a nearby Dire Wolf. As Orrin touched the wolf, the magic responsible for his creation changed it, irreversible binding it to Orrin and sharing a degree of Orrin's sentience with it.

Months later, as league officials and a number of magical experts studied the creature, it suddenly decided to speak. Orrin demanded that he be put to the use for which he was intended, that he be sent to fight in the League of Legends. With no other use for the strange manifestation, the league officials eventually agreed, Naming Orrin the first champion to fight in the League of Legends who fights on behalf of the league itself.

"Orrin is testament to how little we know about magic."
Ryze's words after first examining the minion.

Appearance:

Slightly larger than a regular purple sword minion, but with the same basic appearance, however he wears a red/orange cloak rather than the usual blue or purple. Uses a lance, similar in design to an elongated minion sword, and carries a small round shield on his other arm. Could also consider light armour on the shoulders or a small cavalry helm.
Rides a lightly armoured version of the dire wolf, could have a small saddle or reigns but optional. The wolfs armour should be minimal, but must reflect the wolf more than the minion (should be fairly aggressive looking)

Statistics:

Here is where I fall down on the numbers.
I have no idea as to the base stats of relevant champions so I can't get a clear idea where Orrin should sit exactly.
However, I can explain where I think he would sit.

DPS: By nature the lance is a slow weapon. So Orrin would probably fit into the bruiser category, having high damage per hit, but a low hit rate.

HP: should sit close to that of Master Yi, because he, like Yi, needs enough health to get in, hit the target, and then get out. Also, a minion should never fall on the side of Tanky.

Mana: I'm not sure at all where to aim for. Enough to harass with, but not enough that he can spam. Probably somewhere similar to Pantheon.

Armor and MR: All I can say is low. Downside of relying on speed is that you have to shed some weight.

Regen Rates: normal?

Movement Speed: Here is where I do have an idea.
I would put Orrin's base movement in the area of 320... possible even 330.
Being a mounted character he should have high base movement. I would also consider having scaling movement speed (yes, I know nobody else does)
Probably something like 5 movement at each of levels 6, 11, and 16.

Abilities:

War Rider (Passive): Orrin utilises his wolfs speed to force his attacks home, granting him armour penetration based on his speed.

Flat Armor Pen = 3% of his current movement speed. (slows reduce armor pen)

Rabid Mount: On Orrin's next attack, his mount bites the enemy, dealing additional damage over time and reducing the healing of affected enemies. Won't trigger on towers.

Damage = 10 + 0.35 x damage per second for 4/5.5/7/8.5/10 seconds.
Reduced healing applies for half as long as the DoT.
Cooldown = 10 seconds

Minion Assault (Passive/Active): Orrin co-ordinates nearby minions, granting them slightly increased attack damage. Additionally, Orrin can activate this skill to cause nearby minions to grow even stronger and agro against his target. AoE and Damage increase with level.

Aura Damage increase = 2/3/4/5/6
Aura Damage increase (active) = 6/9/12/15/18
AoE = Ok, I'm not good with ranges, but lets say starts at fully grown miasma size, and grows to Urgots missile range (unlocked). AoE could also increase by 1.0 x his AP, but that was just to throw in an AP ratio.
Cooldown = 20 seconds
Duration (active) = 3/4/5 seconds.

Cavalry Charge: Orrin urges his wolf into a charge, dealing damage to any enemies in his path and knocking them to the side. The damage dealt is reduced after the initial hit.

Damage = 60/95/130/165/200 + 0.65 x AD. Initial Hit bonus damage = 30/50/70/90/110 + 0.35 x AD
Range = the same as Piltover Peacemaker, possible a fraction longer.
Width = the same as Piltover Peacemaker
Cooldown = 12 seconds

Couched Lance (Ultimate): Orrin utilises the unrivalled power of mounted cavalry, the Couched Lance. With his lance tucked under his arm he charges headlong at the enemy. On activation of this skill, Orrin gains greatly increased movement speed, attack damage, and armour penetration. These bonuses are reduced per attack until the bonus is completely removed.

Movement Speed Increase = %100
Attack Damage increase = 70/100/130
% Armor Penetration = 20/30/40
Bonuses reduce by 10% of initial per attack, ending the effect after 10 attacks.
Duration = 12 seconds or until consumed
Cooldown = 75 seconds

All of these are just base concepts, and as such are subject to the review and consideration that all champion concepts are. However, the basic premise, is this:

Orrin is a melee DPS champion, probably fitted to a similar role as Master Yi. He relies upon the speed of his mount to close range, damage, then either pull back, or push through the opponent forces. In essence, Orrin should employ cavalry tactics.

Anyway, have a read, post your comments below, and if you like it, let people know. Thanks everyone.

If your interested, follow the links below, you might find something you like.

The original Orrin article
http://tel-rasha.deviantart.com/#/d3e0uva

The original Orrin Concept art
http://raul-ranma.deviantart.com/gal...82007#/d3cmtzs

My DeviantArt page
http://tel-rasha.deviantart.com/

And most importantly
The League of Legends DA community
http://leagueoflegends.deviantart.com/

Feel free to spread these around, but be sure to reference their original owners.

Thank you
Ahrtimmer

Change Log:

18/4/2011 : Initial Posting

18/4/2011 : Added estimate numbers to the skills
Added the Potential Changes Section
Added the Statistics section

18/4/2011 : Rabid Mount, Reduced healing duration reduced from 100% of DoT duration to 50% of Dot Duration

Potential Changes:

Knights Duty (Ultimate replacement): Orrin whispers his knightly vows, then, with his blessed lance tucked under his arm, he charges headlong at the enemy. On activation of this skill, Orrin gains greatly increased movement speed, attack damage, and additional damage based on the targets current HP. These bonuses are reduced per attack until the bonus is completely removed.

Movement Speed Increase = %100
Attack Damage increase = 70/100/130
% Damage (magical) = 10% + 1% per 100 AP
Bonuses reduce by 10% of initial per attack, ending the effect after 10 attacks.
Duration = 12 seconds or until consumed
Cooldown = 75 seconds

This version of his ultimate does 2 things, it removes the double armor penetration issue, and it brings in an ability which revolves around his title as a knight.

Squire (W replacement): Orrin takes a nearby allied minion as his squire, granting it increased statistics and mounting it on a lesser wolf. The Squire will follow Orrin and provide Orrin with increased armor and minor periodic healing. Cannot target Siege or Super Minions.

Squire Stats:
Gains 20/30/40/50/60 movement on top of minion base movement.
gain 50/70/90/110/130 HP from minion base.
All other stats stay the same as prior to promotion. (caster minions are still ranged)

Armor bonus for Orrin (if melee minion) = 5/10/15/20/25
Magic Resist bonus for Orrin (if caster minion) = 5/10/15/20/25

Heal = one cast of 15/25/35/45/55 per 14/13/12/11/10 seconds.

Cooldown = 24 seconds (after squire death)

The Idea here is for a support pet (Squires do the work, Knights do the fighting / glory) The benefit of this pet is that u can use it for scouting, have passive healing, and that tiny bit for protection to help you live. However, prepare for it to get smited or feasted upon XD

If you like, or dislike, any of the aspects of Orrin's abilities, feel free to mention them. I will then post alternative ideas to the potential changes area for review and on the next change, I will either enact the changes, or replace them until a balance is found.

berzerk dragon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-17-2011

Seems interesting, though I'd remove the armor pen from the ult. He'll already get extra armor pen via his passive. I'd like to analyze your concept more, but there's not much I can do without numbers.

I would greatly appreciate it if you would be so kind as to take a look at my champion concept in return, even a simple bump is fine. Thanks http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=668370

Ahrtimmer

04-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by berzerk dragon View Post
Seems interesting, though I'd remove the armor pen from the ult. He'll already get extra armor pen via his passive. I'd like to analyze your concept more, but there's not much I can do without numbers.
Personally, I prefer not to go into numbers. I leave things like balancing to the professionals.

However, judging by what I have seen, I could give it a shot.

Also, I was thinking a flat armor pen for the passive, and a much higher % for the Ult. I know it doubles up a bit, but I can't immagine a cavalry charge not having great punching straight through armor... Although... hmmm.... thoughts are happening. I'll throw in a potential revision. Let me know what you think.

Ahrtimmer

04-17-2011

I imagine you all saw it just when I did.

Orrin relies upon his movement speed. That is how I have attempted to build him.

Phantom Dancer is, of course, the best item the game currently offers in terms of movement speed.

I have also said I don't want Orrin to be attack speed DPS based...

There is a small contradiction there.

At the moment, all I can offer in response is that he get a LOT of movement speed from his ultimate.
And that I would consider introducing a new item. (yes, I have thought about this)

Quicksilver Blade:

Combination of a BF sword and an Avarice Blade

+60 Damage
+15% Critical Strike
Unique Passive: Increases enhanced movement by 1.

To clarify that for you.
All of the boots apply the effect Enhanced movement.
Enhanced movement increases movement speed on a decreasing scale, if my numbers are right, Enhanced movement 1 grants 50 movement speed
while Enhanced movement 2 grants 70 or 80.

This Unique effect, would make Enhanced movement 2 boots, grant the same speed bonus as boots of swiftness.

There are likely other solutions, but this seemed to be the most interesting.

Hence

04-18-2011

I think its a pretty nift character. I would want an Andras skin *___*

Q - The healing debuff needs to be reduced, its too long a duration and can be constantly applied, in recent patches Riot has decreased these effects. It slaps supports. Otherwise its a simple enough skill.

W- I like the uniqueness >3 Very situational though which can be good. Maybe while active double the passive aura, maybe? I feel in midgame it will make minimal difference especially since minions attack enemy champions if they hit you already.

E - Is his wolf charging alone? or with him on it? Because a long range assault charge without any CC (unless the knockaway disrupts) can be a death charge, and its axidently into tower range it becomes increasingly annoying and risky. If it goes through terrain itll be a great escape mechanism aswell combined with his speed.

R - Nice buff, short CD ult that really helps him.

I think a lot of people WOULD build him with phantom dancers for the crit and movement speed and end up having high attack speed. Trinity force, Force of nature, lichbane and shoes are pretty much all the other alternatives for movement speed.

Ahrtimmer

04-18-2011

Thanks for the review man.

Q: do you think a fixed debuff duration would work, for example, 4 seconds? I went for a longer duration because I liked the idea that the damage itself doesn't increase markedly, just the duration. Also, last I recall there was an 8 second reduced healing debuff out there, although that might have changed in recent times.

W: hmm... Yeah, as I have told a few, I was stuck for ideas when it came to a minion based ability, and that was the best I could think of. The idea behind the focus minion fire idea, was something along the lines of getting them to target towers when the next wave arrived, or focusing your minions against their super minion. Good idea on the active aura increase too, I was just fearful of making him a passive lane pusher.

E: He is charging with his wolf, sorry that wasn't clear. It would be somewhat similar in effect to Jarvans spear-to-flag combo, and yes, it would apply an interupt... its hard to concentrate when a wolf knocks you out of the way.

R: Thanks for that, I am worried about it being rather OP tho

And yeah, I can imagine him covered in Phantoms and ulting to speeds greater then Rammus, Trinity force would work well too, except for the cooldown lengths.

Anyway, thanks again for the review, its always good to hear some feedback.

Oh, and in terms of skins.
All I want to see is a Void Orrin skin...

A minion riding one of Malzahar's voidlings XD

Hence

04-18-2011

Q:

Quote:
Miss Fortune
Impure Shots healing reduction debuff duration reduced to 3 from 8
Tristana's is the longest at 5 seconds I believe
DOT still hinders healing affects with constant damage. So a long healing debuff would be a double hit. I would think maybe around 4-5 second debuff duration while to DOT can still be 10 seconds. maybe like half the DOT length? so it ends at 5 seconds

W: passive lane pusher is a worry. Thats why promote was removed from the game XD. Though you could maybe create a promote skill with it. Making 1 minion exceptionally good for a set ammount of time. You could make the passive only apply to himself maybe a movement buff or crit ect and active the minions swarm/frenzy.

E: with knockback you maybe need to nerf a little. It allows for a quick fiddle, nunu, karthus ult null. depending on how fast he moved through the range.

R- If your worried about movement speed you could maybe make it inverse with everything else. Start it lower and build it up to 100% so he can utilise it as an escape at 9 hits or as the att damage goes down his armor penetration passive goes up so its closer to sustained damage. But i over complicate things XD

(if you dont mind could you look at my character? i would really appreciate it:
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...00#post8028500)

Ahrtimmer

04-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumi Kaizara View Post
W: passive lane pusher is a worry. Thats why promote was removed from the game XD. Though you could maybe create a promote skill with it. Making 1 minion exceptionally good for a set ammount of time. You could make the passive only apply to himself maybe a movement buff or crit ect and active the minions swarm/frenzy.
My other idea was a kind of promote. He takes an allied minion, puts it on a wolf, and turns it into a pet. Removes a minion from the wave, but for a little while he gets a rider minion to back him up.

Wasn't sure that would work tho.

Salteris

04-18-2011

Passive plus ultimate, runes and masteries, he has max armor pen and is dealing true damage? What do the numbers add up to?

Interesting ideas, I'll comment on concept rather than numbers.

Passive: No champ has an armor pen passive yet, and to tie it to his movespeed. Interesting enough, but numbers could kill it.

Q: An active hit like Nasus's Q that deals some damage over time and reduces healing? Check.

W: OK so the passive increases minion damage, then the active makes them attack your target? Concept wise is this his farming skill? B/c minions getting your last hit kinda sucks. Additionally, it doesn't grand MS, so if the champ is all about having a great MS, how are the minions going to keep up?

E: Like spinning slash? His escape move/initiation? But also a longer version of Malphites charge? Some would cry OP. Can he go through walls with it?

Q: Basic steroid ult, meant to synergize with passive, but hard to place with other skills. Does he get any bonuses for using E while his lance is couched? His E should have something like "If Orrin is under the buff "Couched Lance" blah..."

Thanks for the review, check out Onrack.

Ahrtimmer

04-18-2011

Lets crunch numbers for a bit.

Base movement = 320
Assume Boots of swiftness = +90 movement
Final Movement = 410

Passive Armor pen = 12.3

Add ultimate, movement = 820 (yes, speed buffs add to shoe speed as well)

Passive Armor pen on full ultimate = 24.6 Flat.

Marks = 14.94
Quints = 9.99
Masteries = 6

Ultimate = 40%

With only boots of speed, and being maximum level Orrin has a maximum of

Armor Pen. 55.53 | 40%

Or what ever the cap is...

I think your fears are well grounded. That is a lot of armor pen.

However, it would only equate to true damage against low armor players. With one Chain vest (45 armor) Most champions would match or surpass the flat armor pen, meaning armor tanks are still viable against him.

Conclusion: Orrin does (with the numbers as at 19/4/2011) have very high passive armor penetration, but with the Armor pen cap, other armor pen items would be relatively worthless.