Another Musician Character

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hipster Morgana

04-17-2011

UPDATE: Despite my personal opinion, I have made this character an 8 string guitarist for originality.

I've played with this idea for the past few days, and like the idea of an offensive support character that uses a guitar to do his bidding.

So call forth Tosin Hafdahl, named after two exceptionally iconic 8 string guitarists, Trent Hafdahl (and Justin Lowe) and Tosin Abasi, with influences from Eddie from Brutal Legend. Also, one of my teachers used to repair guitars for a living, which I think is cool, so deal.

Quote: What I'm capable of may be a bit... shocking. /pun

Backstory: Tosin's hands were capable of wonderful things, not the least of which was playing guitar. Where he really shined, however, was in his ability to craft them. In his home world, he was revered as a prodigy of his trade, one of the very best, creating both unique, and quality instruments. It was said that his ear for tone could nail a problem on an existing guitar just with a single strum of its strings, and that his hands could carve the finest and most precise bodies, that both looked good, and resonated sound in a unique way only Tosin understood.

What people didn't expect from Tosin, was the most obvious thing about him: he could also play the instrument he crafted, and better than almost anyone this side of pure musicianship.
His understanding, both technical and theoretical, of the guitar was unrivaled, and while he would never expect to go on to create the next Rareform, he could play it once he heard it.

He was found lying face-down in a rural area of Runeterra one day, around him was a moderately large chunk of his workshop, and to his left was his latest creation, presumably still plugged into the amp. Feedback reeled the area, but the man did not stir.

He was abruptly brought in to a medical center by a good samaritan. Before they could find out how injured he was, he left, however, and returned to the site they found him, with the feedback able to be heard a mile away, to reclaim the instrument he had poured so much blood and sweat into. When he finally reached the site, now unnerved by the sound, or the levels of it, that would make anyone else fall to their knees in agony, he noticed something jarring. The guitar was unplugged, and the amp was shut down. He picked it up, and despite his judgement, played something--a sweep. Lightning summoned from the sky, and struck the ground he was looking at, and he immediately muted the guitar. He wasn't stupid enough to believe his work was just that good. Rather, any musical instrument meant to channel energy could work as a rune; was the magic from him? Was it from suppressed anger? Was he just a born mage? So many questions...

He is a member of the League of Legends now. After wandering around Runeterra for weeks, he stumbled across the League of War. He agreed to join, if just for a place to stay in the strange world, while he unravels the secrets of magic itself. A few friends in a place this conflicted probably wouldn't hurt either.

Abilities:

Passive: Electrifying Sound
Puts a deuff on the target that lasts 25 seconds and is refreshed with each attack, the debuff has various effects with the rest of his skills, and maxes at 10 stacks. After 7 stacks, his skills also stun the target for .5/.75/1 second for each additional stack. The debuffs last 30 seconds, refresh upon application, and aren't restricted to a single target.
Q: Shocking Solo
Plays a high tempo, high energy arpeggio solo, sending a channeled stream of pain to a single target. Must remain rooted while playing. Does not slow the target.
W: 11 (Toggle)
Tosin turns the volume up to 11, causing each autoattack to deal damage to all enemies within a distance of him. The damage tapers off the farther they are away from him. As a consequence, the attacks also deal damage to Tosin himself, but due to years spent around it, his tolerance significantly reduces it. Additionally, allies go berserk and gain attack speed.
E: Sweep (Skillshot type: Cone)
Tosin plays a wide range sweep, pushing back enemies and himself. Additionally, the concussive force of the sound slows their attack and movement speeds depending on how many stacks of Electrifying Sound they have applied to them. If the target has more than 6 stacks, the slow's duration increases 1 second per stack.
R: Funeral Hymn
Tosin bursts out into a rhythmical song, rupturing the ground and causing enemies to be knocked up every 2/1.5/1 seconds and take damage every second if they're within 600(?) units. Lasts 5/10/20 seconds or until cancelled, but Tosin is unable to move while channeling. There is a 3/3/2 second cast time beforehand. Tosin can take damage while this skill is active.

Tips:
For playing as Tosin

Tosin should try and stack his stun with Shocking Solo to do maximum damage, but in moments where he can't, Shocking Solo is a great way to force a pusher to temporarily retreat to avoid taking crippling amounts of damage.

Be selective of when to use Sweep. It is a great escape tool, both for you and your enemies.

Funeral Hymn can make or break a team fight by disabling all enemies in the area and forcing them to take the fight somewhere else, or wasting a 3 minute cooldown when the enemy can simply reposition.

You can prevent enemies from running in a group fight by circling around and using your ultimate on their escape route.

For playing against Tosin

Funeral Hymn has a long cast time, and has a distinct sound of feedback while being initiated. Direct your stuns at him or burn him during this period.

Tosin rarely stacks defense because of his kite-like nature. This contradicts with his ultimate, so the best defense against him is a good offense.

Boxing Tosin in is the best strategy to win in a team fight.

Dialogue:

On Move
"Metal unites... half the time."
"What tempo?"
"Give me a blastbeat."
"Are your calves sore yet?"
"My axe is better."
"No, no, I see it."
"You can't kill the metal."
"I'm not dumb. I see the stupid arrow."
"The magical hand says Go This Way"
"Just... don't make me stand in the fire again."

On Attack
"Running isn't an option, is it?"
"Eat incomprehensible distortion!"
"I meant to do that."
"I'll palmute them."
"I'm not tonedeaf, I just invented a new chord."
"Are you deaf yet?"
"It's loud, isn't it?"

On Kill
"Another turned to the dark side!"
"Sorry, but you'll thank me later!"
"I hate it when the cute ones die."
"Tick-tock-tick-tock, you have expired."
"Dananananananana dead maaaaan"
"You're lucky I didn't bring my 8-string"
"The kick and snare DO match up."
"You seemed like such a nice person, too."

On Death
"You have forsaken me, magical hand!"
"The green arrows...lie..."
"Metal will live on..."
"Enjoy... the show..."
"My tempo... slows..."
"**** drummer... the kick and snare are off..."

Taunts
"Musicians don't have to sit back and heal, you know."
"I'm about to drag you down as low as the tuning on my guitar."
"You shouldn't have come to the show."
"If you want to prove yourself, get in the pit."
"I don't need a drummer."
"My tempo is more perfect than yours and I can prove it."

Jokes
"How many guitarists does it take to screw in a lightbulb? All of them. One to screw it in, the rest to say they can do it better, and me, to screw in 5 more, all better than the first."
"What's with this tempo stuff? As long as it matches up with the drums at some point, it should be considered 'perfect'."
"So two guitarists walk into a bar... hm, I feel as if someone in another dimension just facepalmed."
"My special should make people headbang so hard they lose brain cells."
"Wanna hear a joke?" *Plays a 3 string sweep* "I call it laughable"
Tosin sits down with his guitar on his lap and alternates between the C and G chords "I'm a d**sheeeeeey d**sheeeeeey d**chebag d**she, and all the giiiiiirls think I'm AWESOME"

Possible Dance Animations

Backstory (Full... for people who like that sort of thing. Also Riot might appreciate this.)

Note: This is mainly for reference, and probably will not appear in the game once. No, this isn't me, even though, yes, I'd love to get paid to draw and build guitars all day long.

Tosin grew up in California with, aside from a few minor quirks, a normal, sustainable family. They all had musicianship skills, and most members of his family could play a piano, trumpet, or even a violin without much hesitation. Alas, poor Tosin was denied the right to choose guitar is his instrument of choice, ever since he saw one through a shiny glass window of a musical shop. From the age of 5, he looked up to the instrument, dreaming of an outlet to show his creativity that, for lack of a better explanation, simply enticed him. His parents gave him classical instruments, and even went so far as letting him try a full sized bass with the claims that guitarists were all horrible, skilless people. Unsurprisingly, he denied.

When he could reach a computer, he'd research the instrument, and when he couldn't, he'd think about it. Over the years, spite gradually grew for his family, and all musicians alike, and by the time he was old enough to legally work, he finally saved up enough money to buy a guitar, spending the majority of his time learning it for the rest of the summer, and the school years to come.

When faced about college, Tosin always claimed he'd go to a reputable university to appease his family, but by the time he was 18, he ditched all plans of college, got a job at his local guitar outlet, and worked his way up from salesperson to lead repairman.

With enough money by now to support his sole head under a small roof, he began to look into other options as far as the electrifying string instruments went, and eventually bought an 8 string from a local guitar manufacture. The decision wasn't shortsighted, and he quickly learned to appreciate the craftsmanship that went into it, even moreso after experiencing it first hand. As soon as a job opening appeared, Tosin took it as a fine tuner at a revered guitar manufacture.

Over the years, his skill increased, both in playing, and understanding the instrument. In his last years before disappearing, along with a large part of his workshop, off the map, he had become the lead designer for the company he worked for with partnerships at various component manufactures, and had the ability to make a block of wood, some parts, magnets, wires, and a couple resistors and capacitors, into a top dollar, exceptionally sounding instrument, both with, and without effects.

Judgement:

To Do List

-Track Sound Effects

-Get Concept Art Up

-Make Nessecary tweaks to the character's abilities and backstory

So, what do you guys think?

EDIT: I suck at drawing people, but I can probably get a drawing up of his guitar soon.

cammarota11

12-30-2013

Bump cause it's actually good
I love the jokes and dialogue and stuff
Magic Hand and Little Green Arrows

gameipedia

12-30-2013

bump for breaking the 4th wall

cammarota11

12-30-2013

Ja, Genau

cammarota11

01-01-2014

bump

cammarota11

01-01-2014

bump

cammarota11

01-02-2014

bump nobody?

cammarota11

01-03-2014

bump, it's funny