Singed - Everyone's Favorite Bro Champ

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DarkerStix

04-17-2011

This thread explains how I like to play Singed. These builds fit my play style better than other builds and may not necessarily be the best for you. That being said, let's get this party started. There are many ways to play Singed. In this thread, however, we will only explore the following roles:

01. Unkillable Pure Tank Singed.
02. Rage Inducing Off-Tank Singerbread Man.
03. Trolltastic Attack Damage Singed (Yes, I Said It).

01. Unkillable Pure Tank Singed:

Summoner Spells:
I like Ghost and Cleanse. Playing Singed without Ghost is just a little silly. You'd be suprised how often you can get a cheap first blood with a Ghost-Fling into tower range. For the second Spell, just use what you like. Cleanse is a good get-out-of-jail-free card. Clarity isn't a bad option if you're having mana problems. I itemize that away by starting with a mana crystal for my first item.

Runes:
9 Magic Pen Reds
9 Armor Yellows
9 Magic Resist Blues
3 Flat Health Quints

This is a very basic, but very effective tank rune page. This is good for most players, because it's a page you can feel comfortable using with any tank.

Masteries:
I go 0-21-9 for pure tank Singed. I grab all the damage reduction I can and improved cleanse in Defense, while grabbing improved ghost, Perseverance, Expanded Mind, and Greed in Utility. Since all of my runes are flat, I don't find the experience boost mastery to be as big of a deal for Singed as it is for other champions.

Essential Core Items:
Boots of Your Choice (I like Boots of Swiftness)
Catalyst the Protector
Ryali's Crystal Scepter

Why those items? With the new changes to Insanity Potion, I don't really find Mercury Treads to be quite as necessary as before. I sometimes go for Boots of Mobility, but BoSwiftness are more reliable.

Catalyst the Protector gives Singed insane laning presence. You just never seem to die in the early game. If you start with a mana crystal and 2 health potions and you farm reasonably well, you should definitely be able to afford it on your first trip back at ~level 6.

Ryali's Crystal Scepter is the best item for Singed in my opinion. If gives nice chunks of both health and ability power. It also gives Posion Trail a slow. This item puts Singed at least in the top 5 for best crowd control in the game. I think it puts him at number one, but that's debatable.

Other Items:
Rod of Ages
Force of Nature
Banshee's Veil
Quick Silver Sash
Sunfire Cape
Frozen Heart

I personally like Rod of Ages, Force of Nature, and Sunfire Cape. My normal end game setup is ideal double Rod of Ages, Boots of Swiftness, Rylai's Crystal Scepter, Force of Nature, and Sunfire Cape. If you're having trouble with ults/nukes like Karthus, Ashe, Annie, Ryze, etc, then turn your catalyst into a Banshee's Veil. If you're up against a LOT of crowd control and/or decided not to run with Cleanse, grab Quicksilver Sash. QSS is inexpensive and has a great active. It even lifts the darkness from Nocturne's ult.

Item Order (if you run Ghost/Cleanse like I do):
Against a balanced AP/AD team, this is what I do. Start with 1 mana crystal and 2 health potions. Rush catalyst then build you boots. Next, buy negatron cloak and chain vest. If you're managing to stay alive comfortably, you can build Ryali's next. If not, finish your chosen MR/Armor items then build Rylai's. By now you should have Catalyst, boots, one major MR item, one major Armor item, and Rylai's. By this point, the passive from Catalyst won't make much or a difference, so turning it into a Rod of Ages is best.

You can alter this order very easily to combat an AP or AD heavy team. I do, however, find that it's best to ALWAYS start by rushing for Catalyst the Protector. You just stay alive a lot longer during the laning phase.

Play Style:
This style is best when you find that you're team is largely squishy and you are the only tank on the team. Since your team is squishy, you won't necessarily want to pick a team fight unless you see that the enemy team is out numbered. Because of this, you will NEED NEED NEED to watch the mini map more than usual. After the laning phase, if you don't see the enemy champs, then you should assume that they are grouped together. When you go pure tank Singed, if you feel like you're being too passive, then you're probably doing something right. You'll need to be careful with how you choose to use your Flings. When a team fight breaks out, I like to save mine for breaking ults and saving team mates. Fling will break ults by (to name a few) Katarina, Nunu, Warwick, and Malzahar. There will always (at least once a game) be a time when you see a golden opportunity to make a fight changing, or even a game changing, fling. Take that opportunity. It could turn a losing fight into a winning fight.

The BE's of Unkillable Pure Tank Singed:
Be Passive
Be Opportunistic

02. Rage Inducing Off-Tank Singerbread Man

Summoner Spells:
Again, Ghost and Cleanse. For this setup, although subtly different from pure tank. I must advise that you always take these spells if you want to play Singed in this way. Ghost is obviously going to be best, since this is a AP/SPEED based Singed. Cleanse is a spell you will definitely need to just not die when you run in like Leeroy Jenkins (like I do) to fling their carry into the arms of your team.

Runes:
9 Magic Pen Reds
9 Armor Yellows (or Dodge to take full advantage of Nimbleness)
9 Magic Resist Blues
3 Flat Health Quints (or Movement Speed)

With the mastery setup that will be discussed for this setup, you'll need these defensive runes early game to make up for the sacrificed damage reduction. Basically you need these to not die.

Masteries:
I go 0-15-15. Grabbing Resistance, Nimbleness, Hardened Skins, and improved Cleanse in Defense. I also grab Perseverance, Expanded Mind, Greed, Meditation, Quickness, and improved Ghost in Utility. This setup is optimal for being a fast pain in the backside that draws a lot of crowd control that should be directed at your team's carries.

Essential Core Items:
Catalyst the Protector
Either Boots of Swiftness or Boots of Mobility
Force of Nature
Rylai's Crystal Scepter

In essence, the end game setup for off-tank Singed should look the same as pure tank Singed. The real difference is how you order things after Catalyst the Protector and boots. For this build, Force of Nature is a must. The movement speed bonus is just too good to pass up. Rylai's is still a needed item since it allows you to run ahead of the enemy and slow them down enough for your team to catch up and kill them.

Play Style:
Off-tank Singed is a much more aggressive and risky way to play Singed. There's a bit more tower diving and Leeroy Jenkins type moments involved with this setup. Sadly, unless you are on skype/vent with an arranged group of buddies, this means you're probably going to die a few more times than if you went pure-tank Singed. It does feel fantastic to have a random group that all have brains and won't stand by and watch you tower dive for the carry. Most people don't realize how little damage Singed does when he's alone. He's just not a 1v1 champ. He exists to give the team a better chance at winning. Will you grab a bunch of kills with your poison once you have Rod of Ages and Rylai's? Yes. Will you be a gigantic rage face creating nuisance to the enemy team? Yes.Will you consistently be your teams' carry? No. With this setup, you'll have a lot of opportunities to give the enemy a big happy trollface. I can't count how many times I've started a team fight and ran away with 100HP while the announcer says "An enemy has been slain" five times in a row.

The BE's of Rage Inducing Off-Tank Singerbread Man:
Be Aggressive
Be Annoying

03. Trolltastic Attack Damage Singed:

Summoner Spells:
Take whatever you think will make you NOT die. I stay with Ghost and Cleanse, because they are my absolute favorite defensive spells.

Runes:
9 Armor Pen Reds (or Attack Damage)
9 Health Per Level Yellows
9 Mana Per Level Blues
3 Gold Quints (or Flat Health)

Masteries:
I go 0-21-9 for this troll build. I grab the same masteries for this setup as for pure tank Singed. Why? because it gives the HP boost in defense, it gives the mana boost in utility, and it keeps you from dying a lot.

Essential Core Items:
Boots of your choice (I like CDR boots)
Manamune
Banshee's Veil
Frozen Heart
Atma's Impaler

Other Items:
Warmog's Armor
Frozen Mallet
Trinity Force

In most games. You just won't rack up enough gold to afford a sixth item. I like Frozen Mallet, since it provides a nice slow.

Item Order:
You'll want to start out, just as with pure tank and off-tank Singed, with a mana crystal and 2 health potions. After that grab Tear of the Goddess. Next, finish Manamune and boots. Build Catalyst the Protector and Glacial Shroud. Next, finish Frozen Heart and Banshee's Veil. If the game goes long enough, build Atma's Impaler and your chosen sixth item.

Play Style:
Does this build sound completely ridiculous? Yes. Is it a build that I would ever take into solo queue ranked? No. These two things are true, but you should still hear me out. This is actually, although a troll build, the most complicated build to play through for me. It requires a lot of spamming and a lot of moving around the map. I start out with a mana crystal and 2 health potions. I start this way instead of with a Meki Pendant, because it allows me to abandon the build and go pure tank Singed if things don't go well during the early game. You'll want to grab a duo lane with a champ who can easily take on a 2v1 lane. Stay in your lane until you can afford to finish off Manamune. At this point, you'll want to do, what I call, "post-jungling". If you have a jungler, this is the point at which they'll probably be roaming, so they shouldn't mind too much if you kill the minions/monsters. Be sure to spam your Mega Adhesive and Fling. Manamune will give you 4 mana points each time you use an ability and through Singed's passive, 1 HP. You should be able to rack up quite a lot of mana/health if you remember to spam. Why do I like to move into the jungle? Think about it. Manamune gives you 1 mana per auto attack and 4 mana per ability used (with a 3 second cool down). It will be a lot easier for you to rack up your mana bonus if you can attack minions without having to worry about being attacked by the enemy team's champions. Also, have you ever tried to play against a roaming Singed? It's an absolute nightmare. If you can farm properly and remember to spam your abilities, you should end up with ~300 Attack Damage and ~4,000 HP.

The BE's of Trolltastic Attack Damage Singed:
Be Spamming
Be Farming

*The Problems With Trolltastic Attack Damage Singed:
This build is very reliant on your team. The best team compositions for this build include Twisted Fate, Zilean, and two tanky champions (Malphite and Vladamir are fantastic). If you want to pull this off more than just every now and then, you really need to get a pre-made 5's team together. AD Singed is very reliant on team composition and his farm. If you can't get enough gold to get up Manamune ASAP, then this build won't work. That's why you start with a mana crystal instead of a Meki Pendant. It allows you to switch to pure tank if you die a lot early game.

dirtyjoe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-17-2011

This post makes me hunger to play some singerbread man.

DarkerStix

04-17-2011

Thank ya DirtyJoe .

xxsinged420xx69

04-17-2011

minions have spawned?

DarkerStix

04-17-2011

troll has appeared?

...or is that actually asking a question?

xxsinged420xx69

04-17-2011

r u guys from that podcast

DarkerStix

04-17-2011

DirtyJoe is. I just regularly post in the thread and contribute questions.

xxsinged420xx69

04-17-2011

O I C

good guide bro. Although I think RoA > Rylais.

DarkerStix

04-17-2011

I like to grab RoA later than Rylai's for only one reason. I prefer the utility that the slow gives from Rylai's to the stats of RoA. Yes RoA gives amazing stats for Singed, but I like the ability to run ahead of enemies and allow my team's carry(s) to catch up and get an easy kill. Besides, with all the assists you get you'll easily be able to afford both (ideally).

And go try Trolltastic Attack Damage Singed. It's lulz if you pull it off.

Craddlerobber69

04-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pounce View Post
O I C

good guide bro. Although I think RoA > Rylais.
No. Roas gives u 725 mana and 125 more hp than rylais but rylais gives u something that makes singed one of the best cc's in the game: permaslow.

Either way, you should have both.to be honest, i wouldnt bother with magic pen runes as you can just as easily drop the sash and by pass banshees in favor of grabing an abysal scepter and void staff.

my core for singed is roa, rylais, lichbane and boots. the boots depend on what i face but its either gona be merc treads or boots of swiftness. I just take mr/level runs all across the board and with an abysal, mercs, and lichbane, magic damage is pretty irrelevant against me. If the enemy has mostly physical, i drop abysal and go for thorn mail. one roa and a rylais and lichbane will give u all the hp u need (remember, singed gets 25 hp for every 100 mana so even lich bane gives him mana)

if you dont like thorn mail you can get a frozen heart instead. its 1 less armor and way more expensive but it gives u 125 extra hp via his passive and a slow aura plus cooldown on his moves so you could make a strong case for it if you have extra gold to spend.

If the game lasts long enough, you can top any build off with a death cap. insanity potion is usually enough for you to get ur hp back without needing force of nature and armor is really all you need but with singed's base armor, you only need 1 armor item unless they are really armor heavy (in that case just grab a zhonyas over the deathcap.) singed's poison is on a .33 ap ratio per tick and ticks 6 times. thats a 1.98 ap ratio for total damage dealt. its brutal and easily one of the most damaging spells in the game and if u grab blue, you can pretty much leave that **** on forever.

pure MR runes is perfect on singed tanks because in the event thatr their team is magic heavy you can pretty much ignore armor and, as your runes give you so much mr, you are free to ignore defenses and go for more ap and face roll them. I love facing a team that has 4 champs who only do magic damage. makes me luagh to drop thornmail/frozen heart for an archangels staff and rofl copter around with permapoison and 4k hp with ~200 mr and having my team focus the only champ they have that can hurt me.