Olaf - WHY can't I do well as him.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Phantom 2k

04-17-2011

@TealNinje

That build actually seems pretty awesome as well, I'll try it some time tomorrow.

Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone, hopefully I start playing a good Olaf soon, I've been trying to for far too long.

Covenant

04-17-2011

I was all about CDR Olaf back in the day, but I see it as an expensive route nowadays that often ends with a less effective contribution in the long run. I do use CDR blues and do advocate the Shroud as a good item, but I'm not sold on the boots of Lucidity because of the bit of speed you lose. Still, it's not that different, since my goal is still the same at the end of the build.

But the real value of CDR Olaf was his E, and with almost nobody packing much armor nowadays I almost don't see any point to emphasizing it. The Q is the way to go now, but even though it's ratio is shoddy the abilility doesn't do enough damage on it's own to be a sole damage source. You're also risking a lot if you happen to flub the throw. Eh.

I mean, I won't try to argue with results, but CDR Olaf doesn't seem nearly as effective as he was before, back when it was easier to get good CDR from Omen and when people were stacking resistances and not stacking hitpoints. At least, it doesn't fit my playstyle or the way my allies usually depend on me to play.

IE, my teams usually rely on me to do 90 percent of the damage and get 10 percent of the kill scores. I could see CDR Olaf being a better finisher than my setup, but since I'm nearly always tasked with consistent output I've got different needs, and it's why I'm nearly never bringing Olaf out anymore. I'll give it a try, because it's sad I never get to use my favorite hero anymore except as a joke, but I just don't think his base output is high enough for him to be relevant. Not a bad off-tank but I don't know how it could possibly be valuable in a teamfight the way it used to be.

Oh well. Whatever turns out to work, I'll advocate. I just want him to be effective at mashing people up in a teamfight.

Daemon Blackfyre

04-17-2011

Don't build him like a stupid tank.

llllllllllKiller

04-17-2011

his play style is, level up his true dmg skill and rush fronze mallet ASAP, then tower diver everyone spaming true dmg

Rivvil

04-17-2011

The best advice I can give you is to practice with him. Laning with Olaf isn't bad, but his mana pool gets drained esp if you don't hit with your axes. I personally jungle with Olaf where I can get blue buff and pretty much get rid of his mana problems and gank other lanes for money. Immunity to disables with ghost up is something I've never seem anyone stand and fight against outside of a team fight.

Frosty716

04-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom 2k View Post
Warmogs
Starks
Cleanse
Problem solved. Try jungling with him. Get armor pen quints and marks, health per level seals, magic resist per level glyphs. Go 0/21/9, putting points in everything but SoS and Ardor, and put your one into Utility Mastery. Start with Vamp Scepter, go 2 Golems, Wraiths, Wolves, Blue Buff, 2 Golems, Wraiths, Wolves, Red, 2 Golems, Wraiths, Wolves. By then you're level 6. Learn when to use your ultimate. It's better than cleanse, you shouldn't need to use cleanse ever on Olaf. Try to secure dragon, and steal their blue buff as much as possible. Ward. Try to have blue buff as much as you can, always have red buff when you go to gank, it has a passive slow. Rush Wriggle's, then Aegis. Frozen Mallet/Atma's Impaler combo is pretty good, but you shouldn't need the passive slow from Frozen Mallet, since you have red buff most of the time. However, if you have a melee dps, or even ranged dps, Frozen Mallet might be the way to go. If you're team doesn't have a melee dps, perhaps a BF Sword is in order. Warmog's doesn't provide any magic resist or armor, it's **** item on almost any champion. Stark's really isn't that great of an item on Olaf, since he gains passive attack speed based on how much life he is missing, life steal from Wriggle's and Viscous Strikes, which should be up for all but 1 of 7 seconds with your blue buff on. By the way, when you activate W, and use smite, it heals you. It's crucial for jungling with this exact setup, but if done right, you will be level 6 with red buff, half hp, ready to gank before 6:30. Hope this helps.

TealNinje

04-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
I was all about CDR Olaf back in the day, but I see it as an expensive route nowadays that often ends with a less effective contribution in the long run. I do use CDR blues and do advocate the Shroud as a good item, but I'm not sold on the boots of Lucidity because of the bit of speed you lose. Still, it's not that different, since my goal is still the same at the end of the build.

But the real value of CDR Olaf was his E, and with almost nobody packing much armor nowadays I almost don't see any point to emphasizing it. The Q is the way to go now, but even though it's ratio is shoddy the abilility doesn't do enough damage on it's own to be a sole damage source. You're also risking a lot if you happen to flub the throw. Eh.

I mean, I won't try to argue with results, but CDR Olaf doesn't seem nearly as effective as he was before, back when it was easier to get good CDR from Omen and when people were stacking resistances and not stacking hitpoints. At least, it doesn't fit my playstyle or the way my allies usually depend on me to play.

IE, my teams usually rely on me to do 90 percent of the damage and get 10 percent of the kill scores. I could see CDR Olaf being a better finisher than my setup, but since I'm nearly always tasked with consistent output I've got different needs, and it's why I'm nearly never bringing Olaf out anymore. I'll give it a try, because it's sad I never get to use my favorite hero anymore except as a joke, but I just don't think his base output is high enough for him to be relevant. Not a bad off-tank but I don't know how it could possibly be valuable in a teamfight the way it used to be.

Oh well. Whatever turns out to work, I'll advocate. I just want him to be effective at mashing people up in a teamfight.
If Cassiopeia misses her E on a poisoned target, her damage is thrown away. If Olaf misses his axe, which he should never do because he can decide where it lands, then his damage is thrown away. It's the same concept, but Olaf has much more control over it, and he can accomplish this by being very bulky. Olaf can also build 4 out of 6 items to counter the enemy entirely, without altering his base build - noone else has that kind of freedom.

There will always be a squishy high damage target on any team, and if there isn't - it's Olaf's day at the park! If noone on the enemy team is building high damage then there isn't anyone who can scare Olaf enough to stop him from dropping whoever he feels like. If they happen to pack 5 tanks, then he has Q for slow and E for damage. If they pack 5 low hp high damage, then Olaf goes in, suicides, and has the rest of his team roll over them.

It's a matter of efficiency overall. If you build CDR/Tank Olaf, you can build to counter whoever you want, without dropping your damage. If you build DPS Olaf, you are very constrained in what items you can actually build, and if the enemy team happens to be packing champions who naturally counter Olaf, there's absolutely nothing you can do. Playing CDR Olaf allows you to be consistently beneficial to the team, whereas DPS Olaf and bulky Olaf are pretty tertiary choices.

(Also, Omen was a poor choice for CDR back before it got nerfed - because it cost too much to get it. Glacial Shroud has always been the top choice for CDR - highest amount of CDR for cheap. It's less effective now that IBoL are in, but it's still the best tanking CDR item in the game, and what you're batting for with CDR/Tank Olaf is tankiness for cheap.)

Covenant

04-17-2011

Well, we could actually do both. While I like wriggles for the lifesteal, damage, armor, proc on top of free wards, you could decide to skip it and go:

Boots of Lucidity
Glacial Shroud
Banshee Veil
Manamune

This doesn't jungle as well, but you can always keep the Vamp Scepter/Cloth Armor around for some other luxury item (or the Frozen Heart if you plan 30 minutes ahead)

But in this situation after the Veil and Shroud you should have enough mana to make the manamune less effective, even though it will add +84 damage, not bad as an extra source of damage if you ask me. You'll still need more health at this point since you don't have the extra 200-300 stolen health from Wriggles. Best bet is probably an Aegis for most situations, sunfire for heavy AD (health and because the damage aura is valuable enough for us to make it work), and I'd probably still say triforce or phantom for the snowball situations.

Finishing the Frozen Heart is another solution to heavy AD, but I would agree that at our level of resistances getting above 3000HP is more valuable if we're taking THAT much damage. I'd most likely skip the warmogs as a capstone item.

Banjo Cargo

04-17-2011

Olaf is the fastest jungler that isnt based off of luck, meaning that Yi or Trynd could go faster if Yi gets lucky with Q, or Trynd gets way too many Crits. I've been clearing my jungle at about 3:37, but I know Stonewall008 can do it in 3:25 with better runes. I have never laned with him, I assume he does great until he runs out of mana. I don't ever get warmogs on him, I start with wriggles, then berserkers, then frozen mallet, then maybe banshees veil if I feel i need it against the enemy team.

xAstro

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-17-2011

Frozen Mallet. Lizard Buff. Some attack damage. You win.